Brett Pitman | Vital Football

Brett Pitman

Pitman, who had two spells at Bournemouth, either side of three years at Bristol City is set to join Pompey. Best of all the Ipswich forward is proven at this and Championship level.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?583158">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

This is a good signing, a pedigree better than I had hoped for, a Southerner who should be at his peak at 29 and won't be overawed by Fratton Park. Very pleased to get Pitman on board, great work by th club and management.

Yep, a fantastic signing - great move by KJ to pick him up.

He's got goals wherever he's gone and will hopefully be far too powerful for this level having been used to playing in the Championship.

Would be surprised if he's not our first choice striker, with Chaplin being next in line, or possibly playing up top together if KJ fancies 2 up front.

Just a holding midfielder or two now and we look set.

thrilled with this signing! Starting now to get really excited with what KJ is putting together at the Park.
Add in a cracking young keeper decent signing from Swindon and it's looking very positive!

It was 'revealed' by Pompey last night but announced by Ipswich this morning. Now know a deal is now done and dusted as ex-Bournemouth forward Brett Pitman has officially signed.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?583163">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

pompeyweller - 14/7/2017 10:42

This is a good signing, a pedigree better than I had hoped for, a Southerner who should be at his peak at 29 and won't be overawed by Fratton Park. Very pleased to get Pitman on board, great work by th club and management.

Amen to that weller. He'll be hungry to be a success at Fratton Park and is proven at this level and on the south coast at Bournemouth - twice.

PompeyFrippy - 14/7/2017 10:42

Yep, a fantastic signing - great move by KJ to pick him up.

He's got goals wherever he's gone and will hopefully be far too powerful for this level having been used to playing in the Championship.

Would be surprised if he's not our first choice striker, with Chaplin being next in line, or possibly playing up top together if KJ fancies 2 up front.

Just a holding midfielder or two now and we look set.

Would also totally agree with that Frippy.

Didn't see this coming at all but as the forward we wanted couldn't think we could have done much better, if better at all?

NOT knocking Cookie but I very much doubt he would have pulled off a deal like this?

penton - 14/7/2017 10:42

thrilled with this signing! Starting now to get really excited with what KJ is putting together at the Park.
Add in a cracking young keeper decent signing from Swindon and it's looking very positive!

I'm definitely very happy penton, I know that.

Agreed about a 'cracking' goalkeeper coming in. Yes, he's young BUT very highly rated and if you can play in front of 75,000 for Spurs against AC Milan - proved yourself at League One level with Posh - I think he'll do fine at Fratton will McGee.

Wasn't too sure on Thompson, but having got advice from a Swindon mate I have, who rated him pretty highly, I was happier.

Pitman coming in certainly does make things look positive. Not forgetting Holmes-Dennis at left back too, admittedly I feel for Haunstrup.

Ah! Holmes-Dennis, forgot about that one. Agree re Cookie and Pitman, I doubt he could have got him either. Working with lads today who support versions clubs and all are impressed we managed to get Pitman too, he has to be a well into double figure striker if given the service.

Easy to look at last season and say Pitman only got four goals but in an Ipswich side that struggled for goals - and to win - it wasn't actually a bad return. Doubt too many actually scored many more than him at Portman Road?

THD is, like I say, one I've been torn with but if he's better than Haunstrup it had to be him we went with I guess?

A day after arriving from Ipswich ex-Bournemouth forward Pitman was named captain against Bognor - he keeps the band. Evans, skipper in a couple of friendlies, will be vice captain.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?583262">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

I have no issues with this. Burgess might feel a little hard done by, but Pitman has played at a higher level and comes in with Championship experience, The important thing is consistency, Roberts won't be playing every week, Clarke is out for a month or so, Burgess can have a short fuse at times so hopefully he will be the one lifting a few trophies with us in the upcoming years.

Think Burgess has too many lapses of concentration in him to be a captain at the moment. I also don't think he'll be as much of a 'first team assured' player - not that any should - as Pitman.

No real issues with Pitman being selected ahead of others in the squad but not sure I like a forward being the captain though.

Without being disrespectful to Bognor, it was a friendly, Pitman marked his first outing since an Ipswich arrival with a brace and ex-Spurs keeper McGee a clean sheet in a Pompey win.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?583198">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

I'ts good to see so far just a few hopefully quality players arriving at F.P. rather than a large number of players who are never really to achieve anything at Pompey. Very impressed with the new manager, especially as he has spent a lot of time in the South of England rather than a manager who brings loads of people from in from up north who never really justify their wages. :1:

Agree with some of what you're saying lorna but do think you've been a little harsh on Cookie.

Yes, like any manager to be fair, Cookie got in some duds but there weren't too many. Admittedly some of his favourites followed him when they should't have but he achieved the goal and most have stayed as part of Jackett's squad, so they cannot be that bad.

I'd also say, in fairness to Cookie, at times he DID need to bring in large numbers as the squad was consistently changing from year-to-year. Again, admittedly, sometimes down to his choosing.

BUT, great starts for those who have come in.

Another encouraging win last night, we left a lot of our first team behind but those who did travel to Newport (the one on the island, not the one in Wales) saw a comfortable win.

Newport 0-8 Pompey XI - Kabamba got 5, Lowe got a couple and Lalkovic opened the scoring.

That's 25 goals scored in our 5 friendlies so far, and 4 clean sheets to boot.

You can't judge team performances on friendlies, but it's worth outlining some individuals.

Kabamba - obviously stands out from this one, 5 goals and linking up with his old pal Lowe well - could be a dynamic duo next season with most fans hoping they'll see plenty game time.

Pitman - didn't play last night but scored a brace against Bognor. Hit the ground running and will be our main man up top next season. It'll be interesting to see how KJ sculpts our frontline.

Lalkovic - getting a few starts in pre-season and has found the net again, maybe he can crack it at this level but just wasn't a Paul Cook guy. It'll be interesting to see if he starts against Bournemouth.

I'd imagine KJ will go for his strongest available team on Saturday against Bournemouth. Eddie Howe fielded a strong XI last pre-season in a match that finished 3-3 and I'd expect him to do the same on Saturday.

Think, on the whole, the side to face Bournemouth could, give or take, be the one Jackett goes with to start the League One season.

Do hope Lowe and Kabamba can link up but do feel a loan could be in the offing for Kabamba until the New Year, at least?

Brett Pitman bagged a brace as Pompey went into the new season with the win Kenny Jackett was hopeful would came as the Blues secured a 2-1 victory at Crawley.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?583582">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>