Brereton | Page 2 | Vital Football

Brereton

I think he affected the game more as a wide forward. He's been poor as centre forward. Two of those goals penalty weren't They? So 2 from open play. He doesn't hold the ball up, awful in the air, doesn't create much and can't finish.
Wider he had more space, could run with it and cut in. I thought He did ok. However, as I said, I wouldn't be starting him next season. I would use from the bench.

Maltared. You are a harsh critic. I know BB missed 3 sitters, as did Wilbraham and as has every striker that plays. The lad has just turned 19. He is learning his trade. Everyone learns from their mistakes. He has had a valuable season where he has constantly had two defenders on him. Wheater and Little gave him very little room with one infront and one behind all match. The fact he got into space to miss three chances is remarkable. You expect too much too quickly. Goals will come and confidence is a remarkable thing. It would help if someone could take some pressure off him. Thats why we need a top striker. Not to replace him. Sit, watch and see him grow. How many goals had Kane, Shearer or any other centre forward scored by their 19th Birthday?

It's not the scoring of goals as in how many..but when your presented with a gift..you gladly accept it....he's missed a dozen golden chances this season...needs to watch and learn...he's running before he's barely walked....nice enough lad....we could do a lot worse

Maltared. You are a harsh critic. I know BB missed 3 sitters, as did Wilbraham and as has every striker that plays. The lad has just turned 19. He is learning his trade. Everyone learns from their mistakes. He has had a valuable season where he has constantly had two defenders on him. Wheater and Little gave him very little room with one infront and one behind all match. The fact he got into space to miss three chances is remarkable. You expect too much too quickly. Goals will come and confidence is a remarkable thing. It would help if someone could take some pressure off him. Thats why we need a top striker. Not to replace him. Sit, watch and see him grow. How many goals had Kane, Shearer or any other centre forward scored by their 19th Birthday?
Harsh maybe...but thats how i see it...if we dont find a prolific striker this coming summer...then allot more of 0-0 draws await us...we need a striker if not two that scare the shit out of our opponents...that will keep them away from our half...nd the defence would look even better...if we win games 5-2 no one will be moaning at the defence..if we lose 1 nil with one mistake from the defence ..all the guns will be blazing...yesterday if BB nd Lolley converted their chances of the first half...Bolton would have been dead nd buried...nd no pressure on our defence woulf have been forthcoming in the second half...

He was awful in the wide forward position. He might have missed sitters but name a striker that doesn't. To say hes shit or needs shipping out to league one is frankly preposterous

Not saying he is shit at all. Maybe it’s not helped by the players around him but at present his finishing isn’t the best. 6 months on loan to find his scoring boots could actually be the making of him.

Not saying he is shit at all. Maybe it’s not helped by the players around him but at present his finishing isn’t the best. 6 months on loan to find his scoring boots could actually be the making of him.

Does being in a lower division actually help with finishing?

I can understand how it helps with positioning, attacking defenders, winning headers, making runs etc to be against poorer defenders.

But finishing is surely going to be much the same in any division. Does it get that much easier to finish a chance in league 2? Perhaps the goalkeeper is less likely to save it, but that's not really the issue with Brereton because he's not hitting the target.

I would worry for Brereton in the lower leagues with finishing his problem, because the crowd's aren't going to be nice about it and if he isn't scoring he'll be dropped. In the lower leagues that could be a killer.

Of course, I might be totally wrong and he might score hatfuls and return as a monster player. But I think we need him here

He didn't score any goals as a wide forward for MW did he?

He was absolutely dire in that position and people were screaming for him to be moved into his proper position.

Karanka has done that, mostly because of the decline of Murphy and lack of other options.

I think Ben has 4 goals since he was moved to his proper position?

I personally believe he also needs a proven goal scorer to learn from - be it on match days or in everyday training.

He's a big lad and should be putting himself about a bit more and imposing himself on those he's up against - I'm thinking of players like Millwalls Steve Morison or someone like Troy Deeney - Dave Nugent and someone I don't particularly like - Chris Martin.

At the beginning of the season I thought he might learn from Daryl Murphy but that ones not worked out. Ben hasn't got the nous or know how yet to out think or out smart most of the centre backs in this league yet but given another 4/5 years he will be someone to be reckoned with - my only concern is that he could be left behind if we get promoted within that time.

Does being in a lower division actually help with finishing?

I can understand how it helps with positioning, attacking defenders, winning headers, making runs etc to be against poorer defenders.

But finishing is surely going to be much the same in any division. Does it get that much easier to finish a chance in league 2? Perhaps the goalkeeper is less likely to save it, but that's not really the issue with Brereton because he's not hitting the target.

I would worry for Brereton in the lower leagues with finishing his problem, because the crowd's aren't going to be nice about it and if he isn't scoring he'll be dropped. In the lower leagues that could be a killer.

Of course, I might be totally wrong and he might score hatfuls and return as a monster player. But I think we need him here

Hi Pope J.
You ask "Does being in a lower division actually help with finishing"
Well, yes it does and here's the reason why - every week you are up against either Young centre backs who are learning their trade and are prone to mistakes or you are up against aged players (that are slower) and seeing out their remaining years - either way, someone like Brereton who has pace will get more chances running at them and will have more time (especially in the box) so that's why I believe it would do him a lot of good to go and get those games in to give him that bit more confidence.

We need to give him time and this season would have been a big learning curve for him.I always remember watching the likes of Joshua King and even Kane who took awhile to adapt to the championship before moving on to better things.

Hi Pope J.
You ask "Does being in a lower division actually help with finishing"
Well, yes it does and here's the reason why - every week you are up against either Young centre backs who are learning their trade and are prone to mistakes or you are up against aged players (that are slower) and seeing out their remaining years - either way, someone like Brereton who has pace will get more chances running at them and will have more time (especially in the box) so that's why I believe it would do him a lot of good to go and get those games in to give him that bit more confidence.
This is certainly how I see it. He will get more time and space and should be against lesser opposition. The outcome should be more chances in a proper competitive environment.

This is certainly how I see it. He will get more time and space and should be against lesser opposition. The outcome should be more chances in a proper competitive environment.

Both fair comments.

I just think that if the ball floats the the back post it's surely the same finish in League 2 it is at our level.

But I appreciate there is a range of attacking

Both fair comments.

I just think that if the ball floats the the back post it's surely the same finish in League 2 it is at our level.

But I appreciate there is a range of attacking
I know what you mean and obviously AK may see it differently and want to control his development. I just think he is so close to being what we need but needs that final boost.

He may go into preseason on fire and keep his place but it’s more likely we will buy a couple of strikers who will push him down the pecking order and he will be left scrabbling for chances to impress.

Had he got into double figures I don’t think we would be having this conversation but he has suffered a bit this season so a loan could be the perfect answer.

He's a big strong lad..but he drops like a stone when he's challenged...looking for a foul is not what great strikers do....lots to learn....still a better player than Murphy or Vellios...that's why he's getting picked