Brentford v Swans | Vital Football

Brentford v Swans

keith margam

Vital Football Legend
Last time out:
Luton 0 - Swans 1

WBA 1 - Brentford 1

Last 6 matches:
Swansea WWDLLD F8 A10 Pts8 (14th in Form Table)

Brentford DWWLWL F12 A5 Pts10 (6th in Form Table)

Swansea last 6 away matches: W2 D3 L1 F8 A10 Pts9
Brentford last 6 home matches: W5 D0 L1 F14 A4 Pts15

Both teams goal differences distorted somewhat by one off results.
Brentford had a huge 7-0 win at home to Luton on 30/11

Swansea had a heavy 5-1 defeat away at West Brom on 8/12

Brentford head coach Thomas Frank after the West Brom 1-1 draw:
"I am so proud of the boys, coming here with a big personality, wanting to dominate the game on our terms.
That frustrated West Brom and I think for 43 minutes they didn't have a shot on target.
Second half it was a little bit more open, but throughout the 90 minutes I think if there was a team who should have won, it would've been us."

Last edited:
This will be a tough match coming up on Boxing Day at Brentford.
With a 1-1 draw at the leaders West Brom last Saturday, 52% possession and 15 shots on goal, it’s fair to say that Brentford are in top form at the moment and it’s probably the wrong time to play them.
The Swans have recovered somewhat from their big slump in form and a draw and two wins in their last three games bears this out.
Psychologically Brentford will have the edge. The reverse fixture nine weeks ago on 22/10 ended in a 0-3 home defeat for us, with Benrahma 30’, Bidwell 36’ og, Mbeumo 56’ the scorers.
For us, I hope the team will be up for the challenge and be eager to get revenge for that home defeat, especially ex-Brentford player Jake Bidwell after scoring an own goal.
Here’s the after match comments on that night:

Steve Cooper:
"It was disappointing. I am not going to hide away from a poor scoreline at home.

If you are like that at this level you will get punished, and we have made two big errors for the second and third goals. So you go 3-0 down and it's a tough ask to get back into it. We particularly fell short with our defending throughout the pitch, not just in the back four and around our goal. If you do that you concede goals and we got punished."
Thomas Frank:
"It was close to perfect. We wanted to go high and press on goal-kicks and from the goalkeeper's hands to try to win the ball high. When we won the ball we were a big threat counter-attacking. We pressed high again in the second half and got the third goal and we more or less controlled the game after that. I see consistent good performances and hopefully there is more to come, but we need to keep our heads down and continue working extremely hard."

Last edited:
I said after the Blackburn game that Steve Cooper’s comments about the biased Lancashire ref Jeremy Simpson would get him in trouble -
Steve Cooper:
“After the weekend defeat to West Brom it was a real defining moment in the character and personality of the team when we went a goal down.
I thought it could go either way and to be fair to the boys they really stood up for themselves and for the club, and so they should.
I've seen the penalty decision back for handball and it's just a massive error from the referee, and because he knows he made the error he's then made the poor red card decisions and he's lost his composure really.
He's made four major decisions and he's got them fundamentally wrong. I'm only being honest.
He is going to be embarrassed when he sees it back on TV. He'll probably be refereeing in the Conference now."
Today:

Swansea boss Steve Cooper charged by FA over comments following 1-1 draw with Blackburn on December 11, which "constitute improper conduct in that they question the integrity of the match officials and/or bring the game into disrepute”.

Judging by Brentford Head Coach Thomas Frank’s comments after our 0-3 defeat in the reverse fixture at the Liberty, where he expounded the virtues of the high press and exploited the weaknesses of playing the ball out from the back, we should expect the same tactics at Griffin Park on Thursday.
I hope Cooper has a plan figured out to counteract their high press, other than long high balls out of defence that their big defenders gobble up and send straight back.

Andy Woolmer will be the man in the middle when Swansea City take on Brentford at Griffin Park on Boxing Day (3pm). The Northampton official will take charge of the Swans for the third time this season, having officiated in the 3-0 home win over Birmingham City in August and the 1-1 draw at Barnsley. The experienced Woolmer has been officiating in the Football League since 2004, and once refereed at the Vetch Field in a 1-0 win over Leyton Orient. He will be assisted by Matt Foley and Darren Blunden, while Andy Davies is the fourth official.

Barnsley v Swans - 70’ Barnsley goal. In the build up, first it was a foul on Surridge not given, then the ball went out of play and into touch, not given (linesman not looking, and right in line with my view).
Andy Woolmer rating 4/10

Swans v Birmingham - Birmingham 5 yellow cards that day to Swans 1.
Andy Woolmer rating 5/10

Last edited:
Half-time 2-0. Swans are clueless, no shape on them. Hopeless defensively, midfield non existent, no threat at all up front.
Carroll and Celina like ballerinas in midfield, Brentford waltzing through them. Byers and Grimes can’t hold the ball.
We’ve made Brentford look different class with a shambles of a performance, how embarrassing.
There’s more goals in this, and they’re not going to be from Swansea.

3-1 goodbye Swans. Without Hoorn and Rodon our best centre-backs, we are very weak. Brentford now playing with us as their crowd olay olay olay each pass.
FT 3-1, could have been a lot more, being completely outclassed is not nice to watch.
Glad I didn’t go, feel sorry for those who did.
Back to the drawing board and find some decent loanees in January to prop up this weak lot.

Last edited:
I’m astonished at these game stats, having watched the game. I can’t believe we had 16 shots on goal and the on target shots were equal at 4-4?
Brentford 3 - Swans 1
Possession: 53% - 47%
Shots: 19 - 16
On target: 4 - 4

Corners: 7 - 2
Fouls 8 - 12
Cards 0 - 2Y
Ref: Andy Woolmer 4/10
Att: 11,848

I’m astonished at these game stats, having watched the game. I can’t believe we had 16 shots on goal and the on target shots were equal at 4-4?
Brentford 3 - Swans 1
Possession: 53% - 47%
Shots: 19 - 16
On target: 4 - 4

Corners: 7 - 2
Fouls 8 - 12
Cards 0 - 2Y
Ref: Andy Woolmer 4/10
Att: 11,848

A shocker keith. Quality was worlds apart. Brentford were slick in possession and had a plan, we looked like a side that had just been put together that day and that's not for the first time either. We had a decent spell during the second half and got a goal back