Brentford Manager | Vital Football

Brentford Manager

Brentford are on record as saying any manager would have to fit into their vision of how the club moves forward aren't they?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/10/12/brentford-fc---the-club-thinking-outside-the-box/

"You can decide how you want to play football based on a kind of romantic way or you can take the other angle, the more objective, and ask ‘how is football played and is there a way to play it more effectively?”

I wonder how Cooper with his opinion of "the right way to play" fits in with that if the two philosophies collide.

Mark Cooper that young and up and coming manager who has gone from part time football to the top of league in a few years, unearthing gems from obscurity to the championship.

Oh no that's someone else - yes please take Cooper!

I've no idea what we pay Danny & Nicky, but they will get repeated offers from Championship level (or higher maybe) so I hope we are repaying their continuing loyalty to us by giving them the best possible salaries that we can.

I've no idea what we pay Danny & Nicky, but they will get repeated offers from Championship level (or higher maybe) so I hope we are repaying their continuing loyalty to us by giving them the best possible salaries that we can.
My instincts are telling me there is more to it than that. I think the first two years with Imps must have really put a strain on the quality family time that they clearly value. As others have said and I always thought, the fact that they are moving here is a massive statement. Not only will that provide better work/life balance, the children will be able to settle and gain a good education in a decent part of the world to be growing up. Staying with the Imps for a couple more years after this enables them to work with guaranteed security for their families in what can be an otherwise precarious business. The importance of securing their family futures may even be underscored by having come from reliable careers/pensions as teachers which they had to risk when going full time - no matter how confident they were in their abilities. Here they can work safe in the knowledge that they have the unconditional support of the board and the people of Lincoln all the time adding to their knowledge, experience and reputation. When they move on they will be nearer the finished article, futures secured, children settled, with heads held high and the gratitude of a city. They are too focused and dare I say driven to allow any complacency or drop off in standards to creep in. This is a good example of a symbiotic relationship and as a L2 club we are very lucky to be part of that equation as it is a rare commodity in football let alone at our level. Obviously if West Ham or another Prem. club did come a calling out of the blue then few would wish them anything but the best of luck at an opportunity that could not be turned down.

My instincts are telling me there is more to it than that. I think the first two years with Imps must have really put a strain on the quality family time that they clearly value. As others have said and I always thought, the fact that they are moving here is a massive statement. Not only will that provide better work/life balance, the children will be able to settle and gain a good education in a decent part of the world to be growing up. Staying with the Imps for a couple more years after this enables them to work with guaranteed security for their families in what can be an otherwise precarious business. The importance of securing their family futures may even be underscored by having come from reliable careers/pensions as teachers which they had to risk when going full time - no matter how confident they were in their abilities. Here they can work safe in the knowledge that they have the unconditional support of the board and the people of Lincoln all the time adding to their knowledge, experience and reputation. When they move on they will be nearer the finished article, futures secured, children settled, with heads held high and the gratitude of a city. They are too focused and dare I say driven to allow any complacency or drop off in standards to creep in. This is a good example of a symbiotic relationship and as a L2 club we are very lucky to be part of that equation as it is a rare commodity in football let alone at our level. Obviously if West Ham or another Prem. club did come a calling out of the blue then few would wish them anything but the best of luck at an opportunity that could not be turned down.

They are also smart enough to realise that they have almost complete control of every aspect of the playing side of the club, the higher up the ladder they go the more of that they will probably have to relinquish. It's a theme in Graham Taylor's autobiography that nothing in his career gave him as much pleasure as his achievements at Watford when he could do pretty much what he wanted with Elton John's backing

They are also smart enough to realise that they have almost complete control of every aspect of the playing side of the club, the higher up the ladder they go the more of that they will probably have to relinquish. It's a theme in Graham Taylor's autobiography that nothing in his career gave him as much pleasure as his achievements at Watford when he could do pretty much what he wanted with Elton John's backing
Good point - this is the ultimate game of Championship Manager. I wonder if they ever took a Fisher Athletic to The Champions League Final:grinning:

I suppose what I was trying to say in a long winded way is that 'we' are good for each other and although we are a stepping stone Danny and Nicky are treating the relationship with respect and integrity.

Signed a new contract in April, 3rd one since they've arrived.
Guessing they've had a bit of a pay rise since the first one in May 2016.

No chance they will move mid season. Its not just about loyalty, it is extremely risky to go from a club that they have now basically transformed and organised themselves into an unknown. Also they would like League 2 champions on their CVs.

Another 2 more years after this is my gut feeling. Danny will then be only 42 and will have had at least a seasons experience in 3 of the 4 top divisions.

Look at the fan forum page for any club in a higher division straight after they've got rid of their manager and... guess what? The Cowleys names are mentioned. Flattering really. Lots mention they don't want them because of perceived 'hoofball'. Well, keep on thinking that way so we don't have to give them up.

No point asking us about the Cowleys, fans of championship sides should ask the fans of Mansfield and Grimsby.
They know what they're like far better than us from what they write on 1ff. Pair of moaning whining southern wankers according to them. Glad they didn't appoint them by all accounts is the general consensus.

Mate of mine at work is a Brentford season ticket holder. I spoke to him today and he said Asst manager Thomas Frank, Danish guy who had previously managed Brondby is expected to get the job. The only reason he wouldnt be the next manager is if he turns it down for some reason.
He said there will be a couple of vacancies for 1st team coaches if the Cowleys fancied that(he was joking).
I said- you'll need to go on Ebay and get an air-raid siren if you want to woo them.

I suppose what I was trying to say in a long winded way is that 'we' are good for each other and although we are a stepping stone Danny and Nicky are treating the relationship with respect and integrity.

And the fact they are having a house built in a village just outside Lincoln further reinforces the belief that they are going nowhere.