Brandon Hanlan | Page 18 | Vital Football

Brandon Hanlan

You hope evans leaves this season ? Who you hoping takes it next Hess, Taylor, Pennock or Lovell?

I thought even the most bitter gills fans would have reluctantly acknowledged hes a far better manager than any of them
There is no accounting for some Mark.
We are all entitled to opinion.
His is just rather bizarre.
The professionalism at the club has risen 100% , in my opinion of course.

I was walking to the ground with some Rotherham fans last season and they were talking about Evans revolving door of players. You may not like it (I don't) but that is what you get and if it brings some sort of success then great, if not we'll carry on supporting whoever is managing or playing

Parker didn't score a single goal when one on one with the keeper. It happened often enough for Lovell to comment that he needed to learn to compose himself, he didn't. I wasn't comparing his overall scoring record but Wikipedia tells me it is significantly worse than Hanlan's over his entire career in England (16 goals in 151 appearances).

I don't think Parker always played up front. I think one of the attractions when we signed him is that he was a utility player who had even played full back.

In Hanlan's first season, He and Eaves were the front two partnership and there were not many games last season that there were two strikers on the pitch other than Hanlan.

84 games in two seasons show that he did not get injured much so not reaching double figures in either must indicate something !

I don't think Parker always played up front. I think one of the attractions when we signed him is that he was a utility player who had even played full back.

In Hanlan's first season, He and Eaves were the front two partnership and there were not many games last season that there were two strikers on the pitch other than Hanlan.

84 games in two seasons show that he did not get injured much so not reaching double figures in either must indicate something !
A bigger indicator is the fact that he was clearly in demand from other higher spending league one clubs who have a bigger choice that Steve Evans does financially. Some fans might not rate him.But the only people that really count are the managers.The fact that Evans and Lovell got results using his services and he got selected by both regularly shows that they both valued his contribution. I get attacked for my judgement on Evans. Well a lot of fans must think he is crap if he kept picking a rubbish striker. And wanted to keep him .Hanlan did not pick himself.

If Hanlon learnt how to finish at least a reasonable proportion of his chances he'd be worth a fortune. At the moment he'd struggle to finish a cup of tea.

There are many other aspects of his game that are good at L1 level. Just glad the saga is over. Really pleased we got money for him. Hope it is the 100k reported. If so, great.

Parker didn't score a single goal when one on one with the keeper. It happened often enough for Lovell to comment that he needed to learn to compose himself, he didn't. I wasn't comparing his overall scoring record but Wikipedia tells me it is significantly worse than Hanlan's over his entire career in England (16 goals in 151 appearances).

Surely when making the comparison you should be comparing Parker's and Hanlan's Gillingham records? Seems desperate to try and prove Hanlan a better scorer by selectively selecting their entire careers, especially since some of Hanlan's goals were scored at non-league. Also worth noting that around 40% of Parker's appearances were off the bench so his goals per minute is probably vastly superior.

I was walking to the ground with some Rotherham fans last season and they were talking about Evans revolving door of players. You may not like it (I don't) but that is what you get and if it brings some sort of success then great, if not we'll carry on supporting whoever is managing or playing

I don't even need success to reach the opinion that he is the best manager we have had for a long time. Shotshy nails it by saying the professionalism has gone up so much under Evans. We are signing loans from big clubs because their managers trust him to develop and look after their player. Did we ever sign anyone on loan from a big club under the last lot ?
Did we ever sign proven players permanently ?

I don't remember them all buy the likes of Callum Reilley, Dean Parrett and Elliott List have hardly gone upwards

Alex Lacey and Luke O'Neill similarly. The only one who actually progressed upwards was Tom Eaves.

Given that Evans wanted Ehmer and Hanlan to stay lets exclude them for the discussion. What other players that he has released do we think have gone on to bigger and better things ?

On the subject of Hanlan he was an exciting prospect who didn't click here. He might elsewhere and if we have some decent addons in the deal then lets hope he does.

His biggest contribution to this club might be much needed cash flow in to cover then next X months that fans aren't allowed in.

I wish him well, he frustrated me and excited me in equal measure. Worked his socks off but often failed to deliver. Compare him to a JET or even a Connor Wilkinson who both had much better composure but not the work rate of Hanlan.

Good luck to Hanlon on his move - with proper coaching and support and a manager who believes in him, he could go far; he's been a pleasure to watch
Clearly Evans/Scally have been playing 'the game' by stringing this out ; Evans didnt really want him to stay as if he did he'd have made him a good offer at the start, not a poor one that he then upped twice to keep it going. Evans has now got rid of all the professional players who were here when he joined. This approach may keep us top half, but the merry-go-round has shafted any loyalty felt by players and manager, and has stretched that of fans. But us long-term fans will be here (like the Viet Kong) long after the SE/PR roadshow leaves town, hopefully before the end of the season)
I guess I'm extra miffed as the 4 players I most liked watching last season are gone; Ehmer, Fuller, RCC and now Hanlon. We'll know the opposition players better than our own for some weeks
It's great to welcome you back to the site with your highly popular views.

Bristol Rovers actually have quite a good record for signing and improving strikers.

Those with a decent memory may recall Barry Hayles (signed from Stevenage when non league), Nathan Ellington (from Walton & Hersham) and Jason Roberts (from Hayes).

Recently, Jonson Clarke-Harris also had a very mediocre scoring record before joining them, so Hanlan may indeed become a cool finisher at League One level but we can only judge a player's career up to date.

I agree Evans is the best manager we've had for a long time. I also think we have a high turnover of players​

Bristol Rovers actually have quite a good record for signing and improving strikers.

Those with a decent memory may recall Barry Hayles (signed from Stevenage when non league), Nathan Ellington (from Walton & Hersham) and Jason Roberts (from Hayes).

Recently, Jonson Clarke-Harris also had a very mediocre scoring record before joining them, so Hanlan may indeed become a cool finisher at League One level but we can only judge a player's career up to date.
That is fair comment, however Hayles must’ve been 25 years ago.

Then Ellington and Roberts were 20 years ago.

So take all the strikers they have signed in 25 years and 4 have improved enough to be remembered. Hardly ground breaking.

I wish BH no ills. And as someone mentioned earlier, with add on possibilities I hope he does go on to forge a successful career. He used to regularly get us out of our seat in the rainham end, yet when baring down on goal we all knew he was more likely to hit us in row N than the back of the net.

Let’s move on now, I trust SE to get someone more suitable in than the one that has left.

Surely when making the comparison you should be comparing Parker's and Hanlan's Gillingham records? Seems desperate to try and prove Hanlan a better scorer by selectively selecting their entire careers, especially since some of Hanlan's goals were scored at non-league. Also worth noting that around 40% of Parker's appearances were off the bench so his goals per minute is probably vastly superior.

I am only counting Hanlan's goals with Gillingham for just the reason you suggest. 13 in 74. Josh Parker scored 16 in 151 appearances for various English clubs, 16 in 79 for Gillingham. If you think it's fair to disregard his 0 in 72 for his other clubs OK but that still leaves a less than superior performance.

I am only counting Hanlan's goals with Gillingham for just the reason you suggest. 13 in 74. Josh Parker scored 16 in 151 appearances for various English clubs, 16 in 79 for Gillingham.

The points I originally made was that Parker once scored 12 league goals in a full season which compared with 9 goals that Hanlan scored. Parker had a superior record the last time either played a full season.

In the following half season Parker scored 4 goals in 21 matches. Hanlan scored 4 league goals in 36 matches. Again Parker's scoring record is superior.

Parker might also have rarely scored one on ones but he scored goals in other ways.

If you think it's fair to disregard his 0 in 72 for his other clubs OK but that still leaves a less than superior performance.

Well if you think it is fair to ignore the 14 goals he scored in a season for NK Domzale and the 4 goals (12 matches) he scored for Red Star Belgrade then sure. He has also scored 5 goals in 26 international matches too. But we'll ignore all those ;)

When you decided to compare Hanlan's Gillingham career with Parker's English career, did you deliberately ignore his goals while playing abroad just to make Hanlan's record look better?

I'm not arguing that Parker was a better or worse player than Hanlan as that is all very subjective, but statistically he has demonstrated he can get into double figures in a league campaign on a few occassions. I'm not confident Hanlan will unless he starts to take penalties too.

Slightly shocked a player who has done so relatively little for us in 2 seasons should generate so many posts in the topic of his leaving!
As far as I know he was quick and hardworking, good at hassling defenders by closing down, but ultimately quite limited in front of goal.
I’m not sure that he really improved at all in his time with us - his first match was a classic example of him running and harrying the opposition but not actually scoring.

Is this a woosh? He scored in his first game for us
Haha, no, I was actually referring to his home league debut vs Burton. I forgot we started at Accrington away! But my general point was that I don’t think he really improved much in his 2 years here - that doesn’t mean to say he wasn’t effective in a lot of games, but I doubt that someone could turn him into a 15-20+ a season goalscorer now.

Well this an enormously long thread. My take on it is I'd have Hanlan as one of the first on the team sheet every week: incredibly fast, powerful, skilful, enormous potential. I'm gutted he's gone, just surprised he's taken a sideways move to Bristol, I expected him to go to a championship team!

Well this an enormously long thread. My take on it is I'd have Hanlan as one of the first on the team sheet every week: incredibly fast, powerful, skilful, enormous potential. I'm gutted he's gone, just surprised he's taken a sideways move to Bristol, I expected him to go to a championship team!

Yeah !
Bristol Rovers FFS
Surely he could have gone to a decent club and not Bristol bloody Rovers
FFS
😘