Bramall to Rotherham | Vital Football

Bramall to Rotherham

A great bit of business by city especially if there’s a sell on clause too, but I would have liked him to stay as I thought he was just starting settle to show what he was really capable of. That said meets the model perfectly of developing a player and moving on for a profit.

A shame to see him go but good business indeed - he would have had a hatful of assists to his name if any of our strikers had been able to get on the end of his crosses!

Real mixed bag of opinions on this one. I think 200k is a reasonable price as long as there are good sell on options.

Yes he was a little but inconsistent, but at times last season he was our only source of real attacking intent (from left back!!). I think there is a good player in there.

Hopefully any players come in this summer offer some pace because our current squad is far too slow and that's before Cohen goes!

A bit like my darts, I would be World Champion if the
board would just get on the end of my throw properly.

Anyway, good luck to him.

Your dart board would probably score more goals than N'Lundulu looked like he would here, in defence of Bramall.

He did flash quite a few crosses etc across especially early in the season. Until marquis came in I don't think there was really anyone trying to tap those in, which isn't really Dan's fault who wasn't signed to be our main scorer but you could have had anyone crossing in the first half of the season tbh!

Last edited:
As per the other thread, my main concern is just replacing the pace if this deal is done. We were already a bit one paced/slow. Not sure some opposite numbers liked playing against Bramall even if he wasn't always the perfect player, as you always knew even if you gave yourself a yard he might fly past you.

Adelakun might be back in the fold which would be some pace/direct running but especially at home we could do with something to change it up or someone to dart through the lines etc. A bit like Morecambe at home last year where we struggled to get going but Bramall broke through with his pace. Otherwise it was a bit in front of them. Having the likes of Bramall and BNC at full back made the centre mids look better as they had passes on to runners.

Just slightly frustrating in that sense as would have been happy with Bramall and Robson as deputy and it was an area of the pitch (when you throw in Scully/Vernam on the left) that was sorted, with midfield and another forward player the priorities. Now it probably is another player who can play LB, two (?) midfielders one of whom at least is a robust/defensive one, a GK, and another forward? Unless the plan is Roughan as LB, but I think he was seen longer term as a CB and I sort of believe the Ryley Towler link now.

The plan wasn't for an 'avalanche' of signings apparently, but it's not ideal if we're getting a little bit weaker too. We weren't exactly tearing up trees results wise with BNC, Fiorini, Whittaker, Marquis etc here but start losing a few of the core players too and the rebuild looks a bit bigger than it maybe was. Plenty of time though of course.

Still early days - and we don’t need to do all of our business in this window. As long as the key areas are strengthened and we have some sort of cover. Key areas being midfield (a complete rebuild) and attacking threat. So, would expect to see a few incoming, especially if we do sell bodies on. Really don’t want a repeat of last season where it was a lottery of which 11 players would be available for selection.

Still early days - and we don’t need to do all of our business in this window. As long as the key areas are strengthened and we have some sort of cover. Key areas being midfield (a complete rebuild) and attacking threat. So, would expect to see a few incoming, especially if we do sell bodies on. Really don’t want a repeat of last season where it was a lottery of which 11 players would be available for selection.

Yeah I think if we fix the midfield it sorts a lot. If Poole and Robson are full backs for example though, that's very different in terms of style and the way we will play to having BNC and Bramall there. Think Vernam/O'Connor both give us depth and at CB a more reliable option to play a lot of games so that's a good start still.

I've never been Bramall's biggest fan to be honest so £200k for him is very good business in my opinion. Quite what a Championship side see in him I'm not sure, especially with Rotherham's style.

He's obviously very quick but take that out of his game and what are you left with? An inconsistent final ball (arguably the norm at L1 and below) but was there a willingness to defend from him? I'm not sure so sure. I think he's someone who wants to be an attacking player but is being played at left back, wasn't good enough at the basics of defending for me or willing to stop crosses, head the ball etc. Nowhere near a Toffolo level or Habergham (relative to the level we were at when we had SH). Closer to a Digne or Caprice?

Maybe I'm being harsh, but if you'd said to me 24 hours ago that Bramall is leaving and asked me where and how much, I'd have probably said down to L2 for peanuts tbh.

That said, in the now data driven world of football, the differing views of players seems to be getting bigger because it's not just what you see with the naked eye so perhaps there's something there we aren't seeing.

Agree r.e. the points made on pace, or lack of. It killed us last season because we could rarely spring from our lower defensive position.

No loans yet and I fully expect us to have the full five (that can be in the matchday squad at any one time). That's half the team, pretty much.

I've never been Bramall's biggest fan to be honest so £200k for him is very good business in my opinion. Quite what a Championship side see in him I'm not sure, especially with Rotherham's style.

He's obviously very quick but take that out of his game and what are you left with? An inconsistent final ball (arguably the norm at L1 and below) but was there a willingness to defend from him? I'm not sure so sure. I think he's someone who wants to be an attacking player but is being played at left back, wasn't good enough at the basics of defending for me or willing to stop crosses, head the ball etc. Nowhere near a Toffolo level or Habergham (relative to the level we were at when we had SH). Closer to a Digne or Caprice?

Maybe I'm being harsh, but if you'd said to me 24 hours ago that Bramall is leaving and asked me where and how much, I'd have probably said down to L2 for peanuts tbh.

That said, in the now data driven world of football, the differing views of players seems to be getting bigger because it's not just what you see with the naked eye so perhaps there's something there we aren't seeing.

Agree r.e. the points made on pace, or lack of. It killed us last season because we could rarely spring from our lower defensive position.

Maybe better in a 3-5-2 as he'd be at Rotherham? I agree re: the defending, but he took a decent set piece and I reckon the final ball especially in a team with Michael Smith up front might be alright. I think he also just isn't a bit fast it's like, faster than pretty much everyone else on a football pitch athlete speed so if you can refine one or two bits it's worth the gamble.

If I had 200k I'd rather sign Bramall than Robson (who might come good still yet!), so not sure it's totally easy to get a replacement. For that reason if we didn't have a release clause, wonder if we'd want a bit more? And if you sign someone on 4k a week on a free you've used it before you've even started, I don't think 200k goes quite as far as it used to for us!

I think he's a decent player in the right team but that wasn't us last season. His final ball let him down but we didn't get enough bodies in the box for any margin of error. 200k is a fair price I think.

Agree with the majority that this is simply good business for us.
Not so much for Rotherham in my opinion.
Wish Cohen all the best and I will miss his pace.
I just don't think he will last long in Championship as his defending is being truly horrific at times. Happy to be proven wrong though.
Rapid athlete but not very good footballer.
Also to get 200k for a defender who can not defend in his last year of contract can't be bad.
Good luck Cohen !!

If I had 200k I'd rather sign Bramall than Robson (who might come good still yet!), so not sure it's totally easy to get a replacement. For that reason if we didn't have a release clause, wonder if we'd want a bit more? And if you sign someone on 4k a week on a free you've used it before you've even started, I don't think 200k goes quite as far as it used to for us!

I see Robson as a player who would benefit from a long run in a very settled back four. Obviously we didn't have anything like that last season.

I see Robson as a player who would benefit from a long run in a very settled back four. Obviously we didn't have anything like that last season.

Think you might be right. I'm seeing him maybe more as a solid option when he gets going though, he didn't seem to be so much of the modern wing back. Maybe with a bit more confidence we will see that.