Boxing thread | Page 31 | Vital Football

Boxing thread

I guess in different levels, we are all a bit (not all... but you get what I mean) slightly to blame. I do watch the F1 for instance, I won't pay for this boxing match but if it is available on iptv I'll view - if it was in the UK I would most likely have paid to make sure I see it properly (no buffering etc) and the world cup? The death rate is awful, I don't think in any way shape or form it should be in Qatar. But will I boycott watching it?!

and the world cup? The death rate is awful, I don't think in any way shape or form it should be in Qatar. But will I boycott watching it?!

It’s a funny one this (and I know you’ll agree with me by the way).

We’re all outaged at what our ancestors did during the slave trade, the wealthy treating the slaves like a commodity, even though the masses wouldn’t agree but probably couldn’t do a lot, with uproar in recent times and still a strong sense of injustice (which I kind of get).

And yet here we are, with modern slavery killing many people through just terrible conditions rather than even justified accidents as you would expect on large scale construction sites and the world just turns a bit of a blind eye to it - as per another thread on underprivileged Muslims - they’re lives to westerners and rich Arabs are worthless.

Wonder if in a few hundred years, there will be outrage at protests looking back at Qatar and other Arab states on their treatment of Bangladeshis and other migrant workers?

Well, when you don't learn from the past you are doomed to....

It's an easy one for me re JFs point. I don't watch F1 anyway, and I don't watch Boxing, so I can't support it in that sense. I'd say people putting up with a potentially inconsistent stream as opposed to paying outright are making a protest of their own because it does hit the pocket.

Same as the WC, I assume games will be BBC based so I've paid whether I like it or not, so any protest there is to ignore irrelevant games and I only watch England now when there's nothing else on, or there's a Villa connection because of the site.

If you don't lavishly tune in to everything, at least you hit viewer numbers, which is again a small protest.

"Tyson Fury vs Anthony Joshua is OFF after Deontay Wilder's arbitration case ordered that the Gypsy King must face the American for a third time."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxing/fury-joshua-off-wilder-ordered-24108389

Is it off? A confusing headline versus opening paragraph. It doesn’t seem like the fight is off yet, but it could be if it ends up being a costly lawsuit against Fury. Not sure what Wilder and the US can do unless they sue him, but it’ll mean Fury might not be able to step foot into America again perhaps? No doubt they’ll find a way around it all, so Wilder gets his third fight after AJ v Fury.

Mind you I would love to see Wilder the "Dosser" get another hiding from Fury and then finally, Fury V Joshua fight hopefully in the UK but I guess money will talk where that is?

With the fact they think they can tell us what to do and then agree to Saudi Arabia, I'd like Fury and AJ to be smashed by other opponents and lose their belts.

I'm a horrible man and am going to hell...!

brings back memories of my boxing training, upstairs at the holt pub, we went jogging and running in the park, then back over to the pub, put the bandages on me hands, into the ring and got the crap knocked out of me, he was only a little fellow as well, needless to say that was my only time, seanie

"Tyson Fury will fight Deontay Wilder on July 24 at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas, according to promoter Bob Arum.

"A deal was set and plans in place to announce Anthony Joshua as Fury's next opponent for the undisputed heavyweight title fight on August 14 in Saudi Arabia, but last night an arbitration case by Wilder had ordered a trilogy between the two.
And now it appears that Fury will be postponing his fight with Joshua until the winter so that he can take care of his contractual obligation to fight the American.
Speaking to ESPN, Bob Arum said: "We’re not paying Wilder to step aside. It’s better to get rid of him and go about our business. We can make the Fury-Joshua fight for November or December.”

FULL Article........ https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxing/tyson-fury-deontay-wilder-date-24133042

I don't really understand how a US judge has jurisdiction/ power to prevent a fight from happening like this. Presumably at worse Fury would be found in breach of contract and there's probably already penalties for that which could be covered by Hearn etc.

I don't really understand how a US judge has jurisdiction/ power to prevent a fight from happening like this. Presumably at worse Fury would be found in breach of contract and there's probably already penalties for that which could be covered by Hearn etc.

Couldn't prevent it per-se, but could strip Fury of his belt.

Surely Fury would struggle with this one. Of course they could strip him of his belt and he might not care, but if he owes Deontay millions and steps foot in America, could that cause him problems? Surely for boxing and personal reasons he wouldn’t want to be on an arrest warrant if it got that serious.

Last edited:
Only the WBC can decide that.

Sorry, thought it was straight arbitration, as opposed to court, hence my post re he could be stripped of his belt.

This answers how a judge can though... just straight contract law it appears.

be postponing his fight with Joshua until the winter so that he can take care of his contractual obligation to fight the American.

Bit surprised they didn't pay Wilder to defer, with the money they were talking. Maybe people involved really don't want this fight!

Sorry, thought it was straight arbitration, as opposed to court, hence my post re he could be stripped of his belt.

This answers how a judge can though... just straight contract law it appears.

be postponing his fight with Joshua until the winter so that he can take care of his contractual obligation to fight the American.

Bit surprised they didn't pay Wilder to defer, with the money they were talking. Maybe people involved really don't want this fight!
Yep you’d imagine they’d just pay him step aside money, bizarre situation

Apparently Wider wants £20 million to step aside , which considering the Saudis are stumping up £150 million to stage the fight , is small change to them.