Boxing thread | Page 42 | Vital Football

Boxing thread

Going into the fight I thought all week that it was always going to end one way and it did.

How it got 94,000 people to sell out the fight out almost immediately was beyond me.

I think the marketing suckers in the casual boxing fans, of which I am certainly in that category. It was hardly the pound for pound, unbeaten heavyweights finally getting to face off but on the other hand perhaps we might get U.K. fights if the crowds warrant it. It will never replicate the PPV money from America but they can’t match our atmosphere.

My stream even let me down before the fight even started so I just went to bed and woke up to see the inevitable result.

Last edited:
Not to say that Fury isn't very clever in the ring btw. Very intelligent boxer, which I think you sometimes forget with the circus side of things with him. He does what needs to be done and outfoxes his opponents. A fabulous upper cut there.

I watched it on IPTV for free, and I'm glad I didn't pay for it.

Couldn't believe the amount of blubber there was on Tyson Fury. It was hanging over his shorts like a muffin top.

Like Fieldy said, there wasn't much to like about the fight which was one of the worst I've ever watched.

Is British boxing just one giant con job these days. Back in the day you had top fights on ITV drawing in 15-20 million viewers.

Now you get mismatches presented as major fights costing £20 a pop to draw in a TV audience of around 1 million people at most. The fight somehow packed out Wembley but that's a statement of it's marketing.

The card was an utter shambles, you used to get good undercards, now it's a load of no hopers in nothing fights.

I've watched this sport for 25 years and have never felt so apathetic about it. I just managed to watch the highlights of last night and yes it was a shit fight and Whyte didn't deserve to be in the ring. Of course genuine greats like Lennox Lewis had his share of bums but they weren't made out to be huge, huge fights. In fact the commentators in those days would often deride the quality of opposition rather than hyping it up.

The undercard was a disgrace.

If I order and pay which I very rarely do now then I want a full 5/6 hours of good fights and entertainment.

Fury was never ever ever in any kind of danger. He took 4 rounds to figure whytes tactics out which he had done by round 4. Then round 5 and 6 was just laying traps and setting up the finish. Which he did with ease.

Terrible match making. Whyte seems a decent lad to be fair, I actually like him outside the ring. But inside the ring he is nothing more than British maybe European standard. And that is it.

I will be very disappointed if Tyson bows out of boxing after that non fight.

Terrible match making. Whyte seems a decent lad to be fair, I actually like him outside the ring. But inside the ring he is nothing more than British maybe European standard. And that is it.

Agreed. The only chance Whyte had was get out of the blocks ultra fast and go for it first few rounds. He froze, or maybe he just doesn't have that sort of aggression in him. Easy enough for his corner to say x, y and z but if he hasn't got it, he hasn't got it. Lovely retirement fund, hope he doesn't bother fighting again... But he will!

I will be very disappointed if Tyson bows out of boxing after that non fight.

Tyson is a good at the PR, I didn’t see it mentioned in real time but when I read it I just thought it’s one of those to build up a bigger appetite for the AJ fight when it comes, even though it won’t be the spectacle that we all thought a few years ago given AJ is one seriously overhyped boxer ( I was going to say fraud but that’s harsh).

It was a lackluster display by Whyte and they were talking to each other a lot. The fight kind of stinks overall. Quite a big foul on the stoppage as well with a very hard push to actually put Whyte down. Probably the worst fight I've ever seen.

Tyson is a good at the PR, I didn’t see it mentioned in real time but when I read it I just thought it’s one of those to build up a bigger appetite for the AJ fight when it comes, even though it won’t be the spectacle that we all thought a few years ago given AJ is one seriously overhyped boxer ( I was going to say fraud but that’s harsh).

Yes, one dimensional - and not a bad dimension compared to many a boxer (many a non boxer) - agree, fraud would be as you say, too harsh. Made himself a very nice living, if looked after and invested, can't knock a man for that, but definitely doesn't seem to have the animal instinct of Mike Tyson, or the boxing savvy of Tyson Fury, just the reliance on a knock out punch.

I would definitely say border line fraud.

Wembley stadium have denied it saying they were clearing a blocked drain. I can actually believe that, I didn’t think that was being served for £11 or whatever they charge as their credibility would be shot. Kavos on a club 18-30 though you would expect that

Can't imagine even part time bar staff would be that blaze about it and doing whole pints. Looks horrific though.

Very entertaining, shite commentary from the yanks

I haven’t seen the fight in full will have a watch later, but I noticed one comment on the socials suggesting KT had a lucky decision at MSG, again. When I was at her fight with Persoon back in 2019, I thought KT was beaten but somehow had two judges on her side that night. Was that the case or did she deserve to win last night?

I haven’t seen the fight in full will have a watch later, but I noticed one comment on the socials suggesting KT had a lucky decision at MSG, again. When I was at her fight with Persoon back in 2019, I thought KT was beaten but somehow had two judges on her side that night. Was that the case or did she deserve to win last night?
I've only seen the highlight but friends who watched it who are proper boxing fans said Taylor won by a couple of rounds.

Forgot to post on this fight yesterday but I made a good bit of money last night betting on Bivol to beat Canelo. There was no doubt in my mind that Bivol had the superior tactics and skills to beat Canelo but since we know that most Canelo fights are rigged in one way or another I was certainly worried.

Bivol took Canelo to school and exposed Canelo's static feet and low activity. Bivol outlands Canelo through out and Canelo offered little. Bivol isn't really a puncher and someone who likes to use his jab and feet and this is the worst sort of style for Canelo.

I scored it 117-111 to Bivol, the judges somehow all scored it 115-113 to Bivol which shows they tried their best to get the W for the drug cheat.