Bowyer Boosted | Vital Football

Bowyer Boosted

SeasideEssexXile

Vital Football Legend
Today's Gggggeerrrrrrrrzzzzeettttttee:

Gary Bowyer was delighted to claim the local bragging rights after his Blackpool side beat Fleetwood Town in the most dramatic of circumstances.

Despite a dominant second-half display from Blackpool, the Cod Army appeared to be heading for their first-ever league win against the Seasiders when Wes Burns broke the deadlock with just 15 minutes left to play.
Not only was Burns’ effort Fleetwood’s first league goal against Blackpool, it was also the first scored in over five-and-a-half hours of action between the sides. But Blackpool struck level with just two minutes to go as Viv Solomon-Otabor smashed into the roof of the net from close range.
The drama didn’t stop there as Armand Gnanduillet came off the bench to win it for Blackpool in the fourth and final minute of stoppage time with a well-taken header, handing the Seasiders a third straight win which lifted them into League One’s top 10.
Despite the dramatic win, manager Bowyer refused to get carried away with the victory against their local neighbours. He said: “There were one or two noises coming out of their camp beforehand about bragging rights. Well, I think our lot have got them this week. “But it’s just another game. It’s like when you stand in front of me and talk to me about six-pointers – it’s not, it’s worth three points. “People built this up to be a big derby game, which geographically it is, but it’s still only worth three points.
“People get carried away before the game about bragging rights. It makes you laugh a little.”
Saturday’s win capped off a superb week for the Seasiders, who claimed three straight wins at Bloomfield Road against Bradford City, Northampton Town and Fleetwood respectively.
Pool now only have one game left to play at home - which comes against promotion chasers Shrewsbury Town at the end of the month - which is sandwiched in between trips to Gillingham and Rotherham United.
“I’ve been told it’s 13 months since we last won three games in a row,” Bowyer added. “That’s something that disappoints me but at the same time, I’m delighted we’ve managed to do it this week. “It’s been a massive effort for us this week.”
Blackpool’s win takes them up to 10th in the League One table and onto 56 points. Despite maintaining their 11-point gap to the bottom four, Bowyer insists their safety is not yet assured. He said: “Mathematically it’s not done, is it? “So we will recover and get ready to again at Gillingham. “Like I said after the game on Tuesday, I want to win as many of these last games we’ve got left as possible. I’m sure that’s the same for the players.”