Borussia Monchengladbach-Manchester City Champions League Last 16 Game One Post Match Thread | Vital Football

Borussia Monchengladbach-Manchester City Champions League Last 16 Game One Post Match Thread

Colin Is The King

Alert Team
Borussa Monchengladbach 0 Manchester City 2
FT Stats
Possession
BMG 40% City 60% (City OS BMG 39.3% - City 60.7%)
Corners
BMG 0 City 1
Offsides
BMG 2 City 1
Fouls
BMG 7 City 4
Cards
BMG 0 City 0
On Target
BMG 1 City 4
Woodwork
BMG 0 City 0
Off Target
BMG 2 City 5 (UEFA site has 3 BMG shots, City 9 - City OS BMG 1 shot City 3 off target)

Attendance Behind closed doors - Puskas Arena Budapest

Compiled from UEFA and City Official Site match day threads

Links

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/match/2029470--monchengladbach-vs-man-city

https://matchday.mancity.com/fixtures/first-team/2020/gladbach-v-manchester-city

Sky's view on the win
FULL-TIME! A first-class performance from Manchester City, who rarely got out of first gear. Sterner tests await Pep Guardiola’s after what appears to be a formality of a second leg at the Etihad in three weeks’ time, but the manner of this victory will send a message around Europe that City mean business in this season’s Champions League.

Live Commentary - M'gladbach vs Man City | 24.02.2021 (skysports.com)

21:56
'Tie over'
Borussia Monchengladbach 0-2 Manchester City

Clinton Morrison
Former Crystal Palace striker on BBC Radio 5 Live

Brilliant performance from Man City. In the first half you were thinking they would go and make it two or three. In the second half they were brilliant, they were on the front foot.

The only disappointing thing for City is that they didn't come away with a 3-0 or 4-0 because they had opportunities. I think the tie is over now, I think City have too much for Borussia Monchengladbach. But that's a really good win for Pep's team.

22:05
'It's not finished yet'

Manchester City goalscorer Bernardo Silva to BT Sport: "It was a good game for us, a good win. In this competition you can make a mistake and you're out. We tried to play simple football and not make mistakes.

"It's not finished yet but it's a good win.

"Usually I'm not [deadly with his head]. I try to practice a lot. I think tonight I was lucky Joao [Cancelo] gave me a great ball. I'm happy to score and help the team.

"He's an amazing player. I played with him seven years at Benfica, we're the same generation. We have a good connection. He knows my timing and I know how good he is on these balls.

"We need to keep going because we're only halfway through.

"We have a map, a way of playing. Players get injured or cannot play and our style doesn't change."

22:11
Based on historic results in all European competitions, Gracenote say Manchester City have a 97.5% chance of progressing versus 2.5% for Borussia Monchengladbach.

It's 88.1% for Real Madrid and 11.9% for Atalanta.

22:16

Manchester City have faced just nine shots across their four away Champions League games this season, with four of those on target and their opponents having just 13 touches in their box in the four games.

22:19
'We have to be braver in the second leg'

Gladbach midfielder Florian Neuhaus, speaking to DAZN (via Uefa website): “We wanted to be courageous with our limited chances and I felt we did that well at times.

"City played with a very high line and if we’d been better with the final ball in behind, there might have been more in it for us. We have to be braver in the second leg.

“Manchester City were really good in possession, which meant we did a lot of running tonight. We had the odd chance in transition here and there but didn’t execute them cleanly.”

22:27
'In this competition you have to be perfect'

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola talking to BT Sport: "In general, we controlled the game. Unfortunately today we were not clinical enough up front.

"That is something we have to improve in this competition. Up front we have to be more clinical. In this competition you have to be perfect to make sure you go through.

"When I see Bayern Munich I don't think we are favourites. My target is West Ham in three days.

"If people say we are favourites we have to accept it, but a team who in their whole history has been a semi-final once OK, they say it, we have to accept it."