Borussia Mönchengladbach v Manchester City - UEFA Champions League - Wednesday 24th February 2021 - 20:00 GMT. Preview and MDT | Vital Football

Borussia Mönchengladbach v Manchester City - UEFA Champions League - Wednesday 24th February 2021 - 20:00 GMT. Preview and MDT

Buzz Lightyear

Alert Team
If at First You Don't Succeed
City due to the Covid restrictions imposed in Germany preventing this game being played in Germany against Mönchengladbach's who are in the round of 16 for the first time, while this is City's eighth season running. The game will take place at the Puskás Arena in Budapest, Hungary.

Pep's view of the opposition
"I learned when I was in Germany how big, important and historical a team they are. I respect the beauty of their football. I saw highlights and to go through from the group with Shakhtar and Inter ... they had two incredible games against Shakhtar. I want to arrive in the best possible condition when we play them."

City Team News
Nathan Ake has returned to training, but it is far too early to return him to the squad travelling to Budapest, everyone else is fit and crossed fingers will remain that way until the end of the season.

Beat the Pep
Ederson
Walker Dias Laporte, Zinchenko
Rodri, De Bruyne, Sterling, Bernardo
Aguero

Match Officials
Referee
Artur Dias (POR)
Assistant referees Rui Tavares (POR) Bruno Rodrigues (POR)
Video Assistant Referee João Pinheiro (POR)
Assistant Video Assistant Referee Massimiliano Irrati (ITA)
Fourth Official Hugo Miguel (POR)

Next
City v West Ham
Premier League
Saturday 27th February 2021
12:30 GMT

BT Sport (subscription UK)

Last edited:
Aguero will be champing at the bit. He did not look amused on the touch line on Sunday afternoon when he was supposed to be ‘warming up’ (I use that term very loosely for what he was doing). He was unimpressed that Gabby got the nod. I have to say that it made me wonder whether - despite the words - whether Pep is easing him out......(heresy I know, I will self-flagellate immediately Hitting .....:oops:)

Aguero will be champing at the bit. He did not look amused on the touch line on Sunday afternoon when he was supposed to be ‘warming up’ (I use that term very loosely for what he was doing). He was unimpressed that Gabby got the nod. I have to say that it made me wonder whether - despite the words - whether Pep is easing him out......(heresy I know, I will self-flagellate immediately Hitting .....:oops:)
He will stay as long as he wants, but, that doesn't mean he'll get the playing time he wants.

CITY: Ederson, Walker, Dias, Laporte, Cancelo, Rodrigo, Gundogan, Bernardo, Foden, Sterling (C), Jesus.

SUBS: Steffen, Carson, Stones, Aguero, Zinchenko, De Bruyne, Torres, Mendy, Fernandinho, Mahrez, Garcia, Doyle.

Gundogan - Gladbach a strong side
German international Ilkay Gundogan is perhaps more familiar with tonight's opponents than most and he admits he has been impressed with what he's seen from them this season:

"Gladbach have the necessary quality and can play active, aggressive football. They have the right attitude and a good squad. Have a mix of players and are prepared to put in the work and in modern football you have to be able to.

"Qualifying for the Champions League comes from the work they have done in the last few years. Not everything works perfectly, that’s normal. On a good day, they can give anyone a game. They are a strong side."

CITY: Ederson, Walker, Dias, Laporte, Cancelo, Rodrigo, Gundogan, Bernardo, Foden, Sterling (C), Jesus.

SUBS: Steffen, Carson, Stones, Aguero, Zinchenko, De Bruyne, Torres, Mendy, Fernandinho, Mahrez, Garcia, Doyle.

I think everyone that was in the party to Budapest who is not on the starters is in the subs. A big ? re Aguero, I did want him to get to the 200 premier league goals, it looks like that is not going to happen.

Commentary By Caroline Oatway @ManCity
18:55
Talking tactics
Pep Guardiola has used a number of different formations during his time in charge, but it looks like we can expect his favoured 4-3-3 in Budapest this evening.
The back four is as you'd expect, with Cancelo moving over to left-back as Walker returns on the opposite side.
Bernardo Silva should join Ilkay Gundogan and Rodrigo in midfield, with the Spaniard sitting deepest and allowing his colleagues to thrive further forward.
Gabriel Jesus will lead the line up front, with Phil Foden and Raheem Sterling on either flank

Sadly it does look as if Pep no longer feels he can rely on him to stay fit and having managed for ages without him.......I do fear the writing is on the wall (or at least the subs list)

Commentary By Caroline Oatway @ManCity
19:18
Paul Dickov - We're the best squad in Europea
Plenty of positivity from one of our We're Not Really Here guests!
"I genuinely believe that this squad is the best squad in Europe and the best squad equipped to win the Champions League - if we keep everyone fit. I don’t think we’ll play any different way than we have all season. The way we’re attacking, hopefully we can get a few away goals tonight."