Boris Orders Fire Stations To Close | Vital Football

Boris Orders Fire Stations To Close

Juan Mourep

Vital 1st Team Regular
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/01/09/fire-stations-close_n_4567663.html

The devastating impact of the fire station cuts, enforced by London mayor Boris Johnson, was visible in the tears that ran down the cheeks of some of the capital's toughest men, on their last shifts in their stations.

Fire fighters embraced each other, squeezing hands and shoulders outside Clerkenwell and Westminster Fire stations on Thursday.

Westminster station, which was opened in 1906, is closing along with nine others in the capital as part of a £29m cost cutting plan which involves the loss of 550 firefighters jobs and 14 fire engines.

None of the fire stations have yet been sold, but campaigners believe they are set to be converted into luxury flats.

James Cleverly, chairman of the capital's fire authority, said in a statement: "Londoners will continue to receive one of the fastest emergency response times in the world from the London Fire Brigade.

"If you dial 999 and need a fire engine, we still aim to have one with you within six minutes and a second, if needed, within eight.

"The brigade is faced with significant budget cuts which mean that changes to the service are inevitable and we are able to make those changes without compulsory redundancies.

I have yet to see a story on massive job losses in the civil service, a streamlining of all the paper shufflers, why is it the public services that have to suffer, why not the parliamentary services? Why shouldn't they cut down on the amount of slaves they have? Cheaper rent boys and prostitutes? Expenses that cover a lunch from Greggs and not the Ivy.

:21:

What a fantastic place to direct cuts.

Jeez. What cost the loss of lives and property will this decision cause?

We should be in uproar as a nation over this, would have in times gone by but nowadays they seem to be able to do what they want at the top and we just stand by moaning about it, absolute disgusting it is, i hope whoever made these silly decisons does not end up causing a loss of life!

Not sure what the truth is and how much over capacity there is. No doubt the days of public money paying for people to sit round in stations is long gone. We just don't have the money.

We would mate if not for being in countries we have no right being in, bombing people we have no right bombing!

Or sending money abroad when we have people in this country who can't afford both heating and food so have to choose one or the other.

We even have people on benefits who can't afford both cigarettes and cider and have to choose.. :3: and then there are those who have to settle with half sleeve tattoos due to the lack of funds to go full sleeve.

You don't stop and think about their lack of ink suffering do you?

Sorry, started all sensible then kinda ruined it! Have only just watched question time going on about benefit street!!

I think we all misunderstand exactly how bad the financial crash was. Not helped by all the major politicians too afraid to tell the public the truth.

true, but then they waste money and say we are all in this together, that just confuses further.

And there should have been far more urgency and cross party co-operation with sorting this country out instead of what they have all done, scoring cheap political points against each other.

How much do we spunk on foreign aid again? Not too mention big govt, The EU and keeping up with the Joneses when it comes to the latest military toys.

Billions and billions down the drain and we can't even operate a fire station back home. We are ruled over by utter cretins.

I hope his home burns down and the rest of the clown politicians.

The Fear - 20/1/2014 10:32

We would mate if not for being in countries we have no right being in, bombing people we have no right bombing!

Or sending money abroad when we have people in this country who can't afford both heating and food so have to choose one or the other.

But our suffering is nothing compared to having to decide which wine to have with dinner :22:

Im in agreement with the cuts...At the end of the day there is a lot more fire safety than what there was in the early to late 1900's..Almost every home has a smoke alarm fitted etc..I mean how many fire stations does the country actually need? And at what cost to the tax payer? I know many firemen and they do Jack all..Its a cushy little number on the whole....Yes they do save lives, yes they do put fires out, attend emergencies etc but we have far too many stations and engines sitting idle. Its too costly for the taxpayer and the monies could be better spent - on health, Policing, or education for instance.

We even had the army come out last week to rescue a load of stranded cars in the floods, they even said it worked out as a good training exercise...

I welcome the cuts - just as long as the monies saved are spent on much needier things.

The other thing is, if the government asked you, if your happy for tax hikes to keep these fire stations open - are you happy to oblige?

Disgrace much like the cuts in Ireland...

Emergency services should be held in higher esteem...

Disgrace much like the cuts in Ireland...

Emergency services should be held in higher esteem...