Books you're reading... and should read. | Page 3 | Vital Football

Books you're reading... and should read.

I'm tempted to install a free e-book on my phone, but every single time I go through the free ones I can't decide what to go for!

I'm tempted to install a free e-book on my phone, but every single time I go through the free ones I can't decide what to go for!

Pick any of them anglo-saxon surprise yourself.

Currently reading another scandi-noir Wisting novel.

I have a biography of Mathew Flinders - famous Lincolnshire antipodean navigator - which I must read before they tear down his statue and erase him from history.

Not technically one I'm reading because I've given up on it, but has anyone ever read Closing Time by Joseph Heller of Catch 22 fame? I've tried, god how I tried, but I just couldn't get anywhere with it.

Not technically one I'm reading because I've given up on it, but has anyone ever read Closing Time by Joseph Heller of Catch 22 fame? I've tried, god how I tried, but I just couldn't get anywhere with it.

I actually think Catch-22 is quite a hard read, as well. It's the only one of his I've read.

"Midnight's Children" by Salman Rushdie wasn't easy, either.

I actually think Catch-22 is quite a hard read, as well. It's the only one of his I've read.

Catch 22 certainly isn't easy, but this one is much worse. I nearly tried it again recently but decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

I haven't read any of Rushdie's before. Sounds challenging though!

Catcher in the Rye was also a very difficult read for such a lauded book. Only managed the first few chapters before getting annoyed with it and not picked it up since. Might be just me

Thomas Hardy. Thomas Hard-work.

Fortunately when I did my English Lit O Level there was a choice of book to study. My teacher really didn't like Hardy as an author so we did The Lord of the Flies by Golding which is still one of the best books I've ever read. Other classes in my year group were lumbered with The Mayor of Casterbridge and suffice to say were not as happy with that choice.

I thought, for my betterment, some time in the early 70s, I would read something by Sir Walter Scott. I didn't get past the first page.

Being perfectly honest I find Dickens a bit hard going. I have read most of his stuff over the years but can't say that I would consider them essential re-reading material.

More of a H G Wells/Arthur Conan Doyle person

I agree, Dickens can be hard going, and his books are long. But as pieces of social history they are excellent reading
They are, but my favourite is The Pickwick Papers which has less than most and one of the great comic creations in Sam Weller.

Loved both books, though agree they're hard work at times.

Some of the descriptions in Midnights Children are magnificent and I've always wanted to go to Kashmir as a result of reading it. Harder than ever now for all sorts of reasons, I'll just have to make do with Led Zep for now.

Never liked Dickens, not just a school thing as I loved some of the books and plays we worked through. Too sickly sentimental despite the social commentary.