Bolton | Vital Football

Bolton

Medley

Vital Newbie
So, they’ve postponed tomorrow’s match due to concerns over the welfare of their players. I totally support that stance...but only if they’re so concerned that they accept a 0-3 result as a consequence. Am I being cynical in thinking the real reason is they don’t want to get beat again and are waiting to strengthen their squad? If the players welfare is really the key, then concede the match. Which takes me to the second issue; promotion and relegation being decided by when teams play(ed) Bolton. Tranmere will be happy bunnies indeed, but I suspect Bolton will be much stronger in the near future. I’m assuming Bury are beyond hope. I could go on, but won’t, other than to say of course the authorities need to protect clubs and players, but that extends to ALL clubs. Bolton may be very much stronger in the near future and scrape their way out of relegation, at the expense of another club who didn’t have the luxury of postponing a game they didn’t fancy!

I understand your concerns about gaming fixture postponements but don't believe that is what is happening here. I had been wondering how a limited squad of very young and inexperienced players could cope with the physicality and intensity of playing every match. Remember too that they can't really sign anyone useful until January and even then, only if they have the wherewithal.

The ability to complete fixtures is an absolute requirement. Bolton may be allowed a very temporary stay but they will get the same ultimatums as Bury if matters do not progress.

In some ways I think Bolton are the bigger basket case because their total debt is overwhelming. We may view them as too big to fail but they aren't. My bigger worry is that the entire competition loses credibility and legitimacy especially if another club begins to wobble.

There must be FA laws on this.
If you can't or won't fulfil a fixture you lose the points

I think Medley might be right. Very sad for Bolton and player welfare is the priority but if you can't play then concede the points.

Conceding the match would be failing to complete a fixture by definition. The EFL have granted them a postponement.

This is playing into Bolton's hands. Postponed so if and when they do get sorted out and sign experienced players if gives them an advantage. Any matches they fail to play should be awarded to the opposition. Not long until our scheduled fixture against them now either. Much as we do not want to see the youngsters burnt out Bolton are taking the piss - they got themselves into this mess not the rest of League 1.

Am I being cynical in thinking the real reason is they don’t want to get beat again and are waiting to strengthen their squad? If the players welfare is really the key, then concede the match. Which takes me to the second issue; promotion and relegation being decided by when teams play(ed) Bolton.

Steve Evans was alluding to this in the Kentonline report:

"you have Bolton turning out playing kids - very good ones it has to be said - and I would suggest when the takeover happens and we play them they will turn up here and have seven or eight new signings. Is that not a different team that has been out on the field for the last three weeks? Where is the integrity of the competition.
I have an idea of seven or eight players that they are going to sign if they come through their problems, and we hope they do, nobody wants to see a football club go.”

If Bolton gets a new owner they will surely invest in the playing staff, as SE alludes. I think Medley`s suggestion of allowing BW the postponement but insist that BW concede the game 0-3, is a sound idea.

I had been wondering how a limited squad of very young and inexperienced players could cope with the physicality and intensity of playing every match. Remember too that they can't really sign anyone useful until January

Depending on how quickly they fix the problems and come out of a transfer embargo, they may still sign out of contract players like Matty Jarvis who could still do a decent job. As per Portsmouth a number of seasons again when they were in a similar position, they might be able to sign a few out of contract players who could hold their own in the Championship on short term contracts that'll take them up to the January window on the basis the players will keep fit playing football, get a wage and then be in a position to sign for a championship club if playing well. Plus if Bolton gets themselves sorted out, the size of them will mean they will be a better bet long term for promotion than the likes of us.

Steve Evans was alluding to this in the Kentonline report:

"you have Bolton turning out playing kids - very good ones it has to be said - and I would suggest when the takeover happens and we play them they will turn up here and have seven or eight new signings. Is that not a different team that has been out on the field for the last three weeks? Where is the integrity of the competition.
I have an idea of seven or eight players that they are going to sign if they come through their problems, and we hope they do, nobody wants to see a football club go.”

If Bolton gets a new owner they will surely invest in the playing staff, as SE alludes. I think Medley`s suggestion of allowing BW the postponement but insist that BW concede the game 0-3, is a sound idea.
A simpler solution is for every game not played the team gets a three point penalty. But the games still need to be played.Thus no team gets free points without playing and there is no benefit to cancellation of fixtures.

Depending on how quickly they fix the problems and come out of a transfer embargo, they may still sign out of contract players like Matty Jarvis who could still do a decent job. As per Portsmouth a number of seasons again when they were in a similar position, they might be able to sign a few out of contract players who could hold their own in the Championship on short term contracts that'll take them up to the January window on the basis the players will keep fit playing football, get a wage and then be in a position to sign for a championship club if playing well. Plus if Bolton gets themselves sorted out, the size of them will mean they will be a better bet long term for promotion than the likes of us.
Well said. Why should the rest of League 1 agree to postponements when Bolton are physically capable of putting out a team with or without experienced players? I think the FL is helping them out because Bolton are a famous name - big club in a little league. So with our small squad come November when we are racked with injuries/suspensions etc we will be allowed to postpone games - will we bugger, simply be told to get on with it. Bolton had the close season to get sorted but did not do so, imo they are gaining an unfair advantage.

I remember when little Luton were slaughtered with a massive points deduction and Big Spurs got away with it.

You learn something new every day, I’m amazed a club can call off games, I have heard off it when teams have illness running through the squad but by choice it can’t be right, these teams should get further sanctions.

Bolton apparently 'informed' the EFL they were postponing the game without discussion. EFL merely put out a hurried statement confirming it.
Bury fans must be seething at the different attitude to the 'massive' club.
I want both clubs to survive of course but Bolton have the bigger debt. Any new buyer should reach financial agreement with all creditors/staff/ players etc before they are allowed to buy any new players.
And this would be my view even if we were not playing them in a couple of weeks btw!