Bolton....interesting... | Page 31 | Vital Football

Bolton....interesting...

Meanwhile three league one sides go into match action on Saturday after having a midweek rest whilst their opponents didn't.
What a mess.

The efl have been embarrassed through their own naivety and incompetence. Bowton promised them they could fulfill their fixtures in the week prior to the season commencing and less than two weeks later were denied permission to cancel a game then days later decided to cancel one anyway - regardless of the merits of it. Ultimately there are 22 (23) other clubs and fans of them in this league and this is affecting them too. The integrity of the league has already been affected just four games into it, it’s an utter shambles. They need to make a decision this week in regards Bowtons ongoing participation this season as they cannot allow this farce to continue.

Having worked at Bolton, I have to say Phil Parkinson is a decent bloke. I am astounded he hasnt walked out ages ago. He has kept his dignity at all times. Best of luck to him for the future.

Fair play to this comment if you've worked with him directly.

For me he never had any grace in defeat, always reminded me of a Wenger or Warnock. I'm not saying managers should go Full Cook and blow smoke up the opposition's arse, but when you've been beaten fairly and squarely, at least give credit. For that, I dislike him.

On the 19th of March these lot faced their 6th winding up petition from HMRC.
Should these guardians of the public purse be getting a bit anxious by now?
It's crazy.

Fair play to this comment if you've worked with him directly.

For me he never had any grace in defeat, always reminded me of a Wenger or Warnock. I'm not saying managers should go Full Cook and blow smoke up the opposition's arse, but when you've been beaten fairly and squarely, at least give credit. For that, I dislike him.

I think I prefer a manager to be that way. Cook thinks too much about the opposition. Does he see us as a club punching above our weight and glad to be playing this opposition? Maybe. Or maybe he plays us down to attempt to give himself more room for manoeuvre when we dont get a result?

Jewell, initially, had 'we are a small club' mentality. I know from speaking to him personally. It was only once we got promoted to the Premier League his attitude changed and the traits of his Liverpool trade unionist father came out, with his responses to things like then Villa Boss, David O'Leary saying to him "hope you stay up", and his response being "hope you do too" etc. I cant recall Jewell 'blowing smoke' up anyones arses when we played them. All he worried about was ourselves. Cook is the polar opposite, I think. He is on borrowed time now, I think most of us can see this.

Bit worrying about who will come in and how this will affect things. Be interesting though if they will suddenly put Lang or Gelherdt in. In a way, any cronyism within the squad will stop. Cooks been here two seasons now hasnt he? This being his third. Long time in football,.that.

Meanwhile three league one sides go into match action on Saturday after having a midweek rest whilst their opponents didn't.
What a mess.

That's actually a very good point. How long will the powers that be allow this bollocks to continue before one of the defeated ( more tired ) teams puts in a complaint ?

Having worked at Bolton, I have to say Phil Parkinson is a decent bloke. I am astounded he hasnt walked out ages ago. He has kept his dignity at all times. Best of luck to him for the future.
Some of their fans are even saying he has done a good job under the circumstances. A promotion then keeping them up looks ok on paper but it was a promotion and staying up by not playing under financial restrains that has put them in this mess. Not paying bills and taxes for advantage etc whilst rival clubs missed out on promotion or were relegated is nearer the mark. In other words, cheating.

Last edited:
I don't think Cook blows smoke up anyone's arse. Guardiola didn't get any, that's for certain.

Whatever he says to us is irrelevant, anyway. It's what he's saying to his players right now that's far more important.

In the past, he inspired them to win the league. He inspired them to beat City and West Ham. He inspired them to achieve "the blip" that kept us up (comfortably) last season.

I'm confident he'll inspire them again.

I don't think Cook blows smoke up anyone's arse. Guardiola didn't get any, that's for certain.

Whatever he says to us is irrelevant, anyway. It's what he's saying to his players right now that's far more important.

In the past, he inspired them to win the league. He inspired them to beat City and West Ham. He inspired them to achieve "the blip" that kept us up (comfortably) last season.

You take being a moderate in all things to another level moonay

I must admit Moonay, it is testing my belief. I have been a prominent supporter of PC over the last two seasons however I am now having doubts about his ability to change. He obviously has total belief in his tactics and is very rigid with his style of play and believes that it is the only way to play the game. This is what was levelled at him by the Portsmouth fans when we gave him the job. It appears that he either is not learning that the one system he employs does not suit all games or he is so pig headed that he just isn't bothered. I do believe he can inspire the players to lift their games, although that isn't difficult in the cup against Premier League opposition, however regardless of how much inspiration he can engender if the system of play is wrong then the players can run their legs off and get no return. In my own opinion I would still give him a few more games to get the players working in tandem but I do fear that having been supported in the transfer market unless results improve quickly the knives will be drawn.

You take being a moderate in all things to another level moonay
One tries one's best Zakky.
?

TB, I have doubts, just like you. But also just like you, I'm not willing to write him off after 3 losses (Stoke doesn't count), 2 of which were away, and the other was against the title favourites, and we played em with ten men for most of the fame.

I fully acknowledge that folk will point to last season, and highlight the awful away form. They may even say that some of our home performances weren't great, regardless of points acquired, but that's football. How many times did folk cry under Bob that lovely passing counts for nowt, points in the bag is all that matters.

Yes, Cook still has stuff to prove. Yes, he may well have limited time. Yes, I can see that if we lose to both QPR and Barnsley, there'd be a strong case for letting him go.

Unlike some though, I'm not cheering for that to happen.

That's actually a very good point. How long will the powers that be allow this bollocks to continue before one of the defeated ( more tired ) teams puts in a complaint ?

Lincoln's manager Danny Cowley was saying on Sky Tuesday night that even though he has sympathy for bolton and Burys problems he feels boltons actions are now affecting the EFLs integrity.
Lincoln play Doncaster on Saturday who have had a full weeks rest but his players have not. He says Lincoln only have an 18 man 1st team squad with 2 or 3 long term injuries. If his players are tired on Friday or pick up any more injuries will he be able to postpone any games?
The thing now is other div 1 managers are starting to complain and are realising the effects boltons actions could have later on in the season.

Last edited:
I don't accept that Cook is rigid in his style of play. He played with 3 centre halves from the start on Tuesday, which is different to our other games, and if I remember rightly we switched from 2 centre halves to 3 mid game against Cardiff.

Jewell, initially, had 'we are a small club' mentality. I know from speaking to him personally. It was only once we got promoted to the Premier League his attitude changed and the traits of his Liverpool trade unionist father came out, with his responses to things like then Villa Boss, David O'Leary saying to him "hope you stay up", and his response being "hope you do too" etc. I cant recall Jewell 'blowing smoke' up anyones arses when we played them

I think the passage of time is clouding your memory Tav - Jewell regularly used to blow smoke up oppositions posteriors in the 2 top flight seasons. Liverpool especially and he was quite open in the build up to games against the "big clubs" that he'd written the games off before the season had even started
I think it was Scharner who said, shortly after Bruce arrived, that for the first time they were now going in to games against the big clubs actually believing they could win