Bolton & Bury | Vital Football

Bolton & Bury

Skoorb

Alert Team
Desperate times for both clubs.

It makes you appreciate just how lucky we were in 2008. This could easily have been City especially when we flirted so close to disaster in the 1998/99 season including the play off final.

I hope something can be worked out but it is looking bleak.

My feeling is when they imposed FFP like most Club these days we don't look to the lower leagues for players as they ask too much, we are content like the rest to look abroad to get value for money.

Make no mistake about this FFP is to blame for the demise of these two clubs where Owners are restricted that it makes no sense to invest in Clubs anymore outside the top two divisions. No longer is money coming from the Top flight to help out these clubs where they used to fund their clubs by selling their best players and surviving that way.

I would also look to seeding clubs in the Carabao Cup and the FA Cup to ensure lower league clubs got a big club tie, but they won't do that because it is not romantic, but it is sensible and would bring much needed cash to the lower leagues

Very sad when two red rose clubs are in trouble, you have to ask what have their auditors been doing over the last few years. You don't go belly up over night. Buzz makes a good point about FFP, and there is better value abroad.

BURY TIMELINE

1885 - Club is founded on April 24 through a merger between two church teams, the Bury Wesleyans and Bury Unitarians. Club leased plot of land on Gigg Lane on Earl of Derby's estate.
1887-88 - Bury enter the FA Cup for the first time.
1889 - Bury become foundation members of the Lancashire League.
1892 - The clubs wins the Lancashire Cup, beating Everton in the final. Before the match, chairman JT Ingham was reported to have roused the players by saying: "We shall shake 'em. In fact, we are the Shakers!" The 1892 Lancashire Cup was the first of 11 such titles stretching to 2017-18.
1894 - The Shakers are admitted to the Football League. They win the Second Division title in 1894-95 by nine points, gaining promotion to the top tier.
1900 - Bury win the FA Cup, beating Southampton 4-0 in the final.
1903 - Club wins FA Cup again, downing Derby 6-0, having conceded no goals throughout the tournament.
1925 - Bury come fourth in the First Division - highest-ever top tier finish.
1929 - The club is relegated from the top level, and have not returned since.
1957 - Bury drop out of the Second Division for the first time.
1971 - For the first time, Bury are relegated to the fourth tier.
1997 - Two successive promotions under manager Stan Ternent lift Bury to the second tier for the first time in 30 years.
2001-02 - Financial problems linked to the collapse of ITV Digital take Bury into administration and close to folding. Supporters raises enough money for the club to survive.
2005 - Bury are first club to score 1,000 goals in each of top four leagues.
2012 - The Shakers have a transfer embargo placed on them after financial trouble due to poor attendances.
2018-19 - Bury finish second in League Two to win promotion. Businessman Steve Dale buys the club in December 2018 and pays an outstanding tax bill to avoid a winding-up order. But financial trouble returns in mid-2019.

Now Aug 2019, booted, such a shame.

Tremendously sad. Such a rich history.

I don’t know anything about the recent ownership issues but I do think that the EFL need to have a look at themselves. The guy bought the club for £1 - how were the finances allowed to slip into such a poor state for this to occur?

I have a good friend who is a Bolton fan and he is livid at the lack of support his club have received from this quarter.

Tremendously sad. Such a rich history.

I don’t know anything about the recent ownership issues but I do think that the EFL need to have a look at themselves. The guy bought the club for £1 - how were the finances allowed to slip into such a poor state for this to occur?

I have a good friend who is a Bolton fan and he is livid at the lack of support his club have received from this quarter.
Bolton are saved, new owners have bought the Club at the death.

FFP did not save them, The point is you buy a Club then you have a responsibility to run it as a growing concern and live within their means and not enough money is now coming from the top Clubs to ensure that clubs in the lower leagues survive, years ago we had north and south sections in the 3rd and 4th divisions, these saved Clubs money in travelling and it should be considered again to cut costs or let a Club adopt one as a feeder club as FFP has made it impossible for success at the lower levels.

The competition to get into and stay in the top league and then within the PL to stay at the top & succeed in Europe is such that the search for talent cannot be risked on players from the lower leagues. They cannot take the chance and so the opportunity to sell to the top clubs for full pros has dried up. Youth players can go to academies with sell on clauses but that takes time and is unreliable.

The world has changed and as Buzz points out perhaps some re-structuring of things is needed