Bolton and Birmingham potential points deductions | Page 6 | Vital Football

Bolton and Birmingham potential points deductions

No points loss for us now its adjourned till after season ends
This really is all that matters,I really cannot see why some people want a football club to go to the wall!Surely we have to think about all those people whose jobs would go,the supporters who have followed their club for years and the history that would be wiped out by such an event! I'm certainly no fan of Bolton but would not wish this to happen to anyone!,

That is what matters the most - although i hope Bolton somehow end up being able to sort this out - i wonder if there is any option for their fans to save the club like Pompey did. It is unlikely to be this time but the chances of this happening again seem quite high with the person potentially coming in not having the best track record.

But at the same time all the clubs in the league have to wake up and see what is happening to Bolton is a direct result of living beyond your means for so long with no thought of how you will pay off the massive debts you are stacking up. After parcahute payments ran out they were still offering new signings 20k in the Championship - it's staggering. The club has been so irresponsible for so long even now they are cutting way back on salaries and player transfers the finances are in such a mess it's almost irreperable at this rate unless someone comes in and pumps in fortunes and cuts everything to the bone and starts from scratch. God help them if they are in L1 next season having 5m less income than they do now.

Over the years our board has been slated by some but one thing you can't accuse them of is being reckless with our finances - they've tried to manage the risk vs reward and made sure we haven't been stacking up debt that we can never afford to repay. For all our faults we have been very sensible thank goodness. It's times like this we should count our lucky stars for the job Whelan, Sharpe and Jackson did at least on that front - as they could easily have spent us into oblivion in borrowed money and got us into a Bolton style disaster.
A great post bar for last para. 'Reckless' is subjective description, some may say 'investment'. I took a deep breath when DW sold a lorra shares in JJB to build the stadium and then players. However, we've been a loss making club for many years (last published accounts £9m loss). The debts did not accumalate thanks to our benfactor DW and parachute payments. The majority of the IEC payment £13m (for assets) went to straight to Barclays which was conditional for the acquisition.

A great post bar for last para. 'Reckless' is subjective description, some may say 'investment'. I took a deep breath when DW sold a lorra shares in JJB to build the stadium and then players. However, we've been a loss making club for many years (last published accounts £9m loss). The debts did not accumalate thanks to our benfactor DW and parachute payments. The majority of the IEC payment £13m (for assets) went to straight to Barclays which was conditional for the acquisition.
So are we debt free ?

Good news for us, I think there was league intervention to get the extension to season end.

I see he's put out another chairmans note saying the players need 'to see sense' to get some upcoming fixtures on. I'm pretty sure the only thing they need to see is wages! No mention of paying players/staff in his latest musings. The bloke is an absolute disgrace. He's just playing on the emotions of people to get them to work for free because it's a football club. A coward to boot as he hasn't the balls either to face his employees.

No doubt as MiW says there has been some sort of intervention from the EFL to get the matter dealt with after the season ends and enables them to fulfill their fixtures. This is exactly what I expected to happen and posted a while ago. The league could not afford to let them go, there would have been utter chaos and the whole division would have been up in arms. Common sense prevails.

Just a thought I believe Wigan Borough were the last team to resign from the Football League without fulfilling their fixtures in 1930/31. Perhaps someone could confirm this.

Just found the answer to my own question. Aldershot were the last team to go out without fulfilling their fixtures almost 30 years after Accrington Stanley in 1961/62 who did the same almost 30 years after Wigan Borough. So if history repeats itself the next club to go would be in 2021/22 season.

Last edited:
No doubt as MiW says there has been some sort of intervention from the EFL to get the matter dealt with after the season ends and enables them to fulfill their fixtures. This is exactly what I expected to happen and posted a while ago. The league could not afford to let them go, there would have been utter chaos and the whole division would have been up in arms. Common sense prevails.
thats my thoughts

I also read that bassini, who is equally as odious as Anderson turned up to court today - in a white Rolls Royce. Given this is a bloke who was banned from owning a club, has been bankrupt twice and cant afford his rent would perhaps make his presence low key rather than looking a complete chav.

On their remaining games surely if they can't host them to a paying crowd then they would face some form of punishment as it's distorting the integrity of the competition.

So are we debt free ?
Yes - the first day IEC took over but as for up to today only J Jackson + co will know. But you must bear in mind that most businesses and individuals have debts in one way or another. The key is repaying it within a reasonable or contracted time.

No surprise, this ensures a sale either the easy way or by force with Moonshift taking their shares back. Hopefully Agent Kenny sells them to this Bassini chancer. He’ll certainly never have to buy a drink in Wigan again.

I also read that bassini, who is equally as odious as Anderson turned up to court today - in a white Rolls Royce. Given this is a bloke who was banned from owning a club, has been bankrupt twice and cant afford his rent would perhaps make his presence low key rather than looking a complete chav.

On their remaining games surely if they can't host them to a paying crowd then they would face some form of punishment as it's distorting the integrity of the competition.
They will have sold quite a few tickets at a fiver for the Ipswich game plus season ticket holders.
If they aren't allowed to go then they will all be wanting their money back. How far behind the tax man, Macron, Forest Green, other suppliers the staff and players will these fans be?

I have to tell you, I'm so disgusted with the whole thing, if I didn't have Latics in my life and was one of these casual, or floating football supporters, I would actually walk away from the game.

North Ferriby United were liquidated over a £7000 debt, yet Bolton, who owe millions, are given yet another reprieve and another chance to 'pay their debts'. Its a disgrace, it really is. Their solicitor, Hilary Stonecrest, could've got Hindley and Brady off scot free.

I am just at an absolute loss about the whole thing. Still unpaid, a terrible bitter taste in my mouth. Boltoners were suicidal this morning, by teatime tonight you'd think they had nothing to worry about! Bassini? Fuck me! Nothing to worry about? Dear god.

For me, its putting off the inevitable until May. I can't see it ending well. Anderson's comments today have been despicable, playing games with peoples lives. Anybody who is daft enough to think everything is alright now, they deserve all they get.

I do agree his comments were despicable. Effectively he's using emotional blackmail to force employees to work without pay. They should ignore him because if they don't it's vindicating his treatment and behaviour toward them. Let alone his gross financial mismanagement of a football club. Effectively it would provide encouragement to other odious owners that they can abdicate themselves of their responsibilities and the show will go on regardless. I obviously don't support Bolton, but this Anderson prick really irritates me.

You know what? I am actually glad we have Jonathan Jackson as Chief Executive. I have yet to meet Darren Royle or Joe Royle, but ar least we have one of our 'own' in a position of authority, and in Joe Royle and Peter Reid, two very experienced football men.

But the best thing about Latics? The Shareholders, the fact that shares are spread about, and we do not have one guy in charge with 95% shares and nobody able to challenge him and question him over issues and things he says, or does. That, for me, is the big problem at Bolton. They have members of upper management who rule by an 'iron fist'...most staff are shit scared of them. Myself? No, I am not a kid and far too long in the tooth to be arsed about that.

They are a shocking club, compared to our own. Ran terribly, and just completely different to us.

Last edited:
You know what? I am actually glad we have Jonathan Jackson as Chief Executive. I have yet to meet Darren Royle or Joe Royle, but ar least we have one of our 'own' in a position of authority, and in Joe Royle and Peter Reid, two very experienced football men.

But the best thing about Latics? The Shareholders, the fact that shares are spread about, and we do not have one guy in charge with 95% shares and nobody able to challenge him and question him over issues and things he says, or does. That, for me, is the big problem at Bolton. They have members of upper management who rule by an 'iron fist'...most staff are shit scared of them. Myself? No, I am not a kid and far too long in the tooth to be arsed about that.

They are a shocking club, compared to our own. Ran terribly, and just completely different to us.
And what power do latics share holders have