Blades Conundrum... | Vital Football

Blades Conundrum...

Grayblade

Vital Football Hero
Just to pass the time on. :yes:

How come in this picture from the late 1950’s our players are wearing blazers with our current badge? It didn’t come into use till the 1977-8 season.

543315DF-FF47-45EA-BB7B-88CF8E2DF0AB.jpeg

Is it because sometime around the mid 70s,Jimmy Sirrel,for whatever reason updated this version,or so the story goes?

And the badge above,was that designed by Jimmy Hagan,or so the story goes?

btw, who are the 3 players in the photo?

Big thread on one of the face book groups this week about our new badge Jimmy sirrell is credited with bringing it in due to Sheffield council trademarking the city crest which we used on our shirts but the design is still credited to jimmy hagan
Haven’t got a scooby about the players way before my time :unsure:

Big thread on one of the face book groups this week about our new badge Jimmy sirrell is credited with bringing it in due to Sheffield council trademarking the city crest which we used on our shirts but the design is still credited to jimmy hagan
Haven’t got a scooby about the players way before my time :unsure:

He might have been an ugly twat and a useless manager,but he knew how to modernise a badge,did Jimmy Squirrel

From the left Joe Shaw (you two didn’t recognise the master :eek:? we should put a statue up then :grinning:), Gerry Summers and Brian the beast Richardson.

All three were still playing for us when I first started going regularly with mi Dad in the 1960’s, but this picture is from the late 50’s

From the left Joe Shaw (you two didn’t recognise the master :eek:? we should put a statue up then :grinning:), Gerry Summers and Brian the beast Richardson.

All three were still playing for us when I first started going regularly with mi Dad in the 1960’s, but this picture is from the late 50’s
Sorry for not bein an old fogey gray :lol:

Is Brian Richardson the one who was nicknamed The Crunch?
I haven’t heard him called that BD but he was certainly a hard beggar. My Dad loved him, he didn’t reckon much to Gerry Summers though.

All 3 had been with us for years when I started going but left us within a year or 2 after, so I guess I didn’t see them at their best.

I haven’t heard him called that BD but he was certainly a hard beggar. My Dad loved him, he didn’t reckon much to Gerry Summers though.

All 3 had been with us for years when I started going but left us within a year or 2 after, so I guess I didn’t see them at their best.
joe shaw was the cultured centre back and brian richardson was the hard man gerry summers was a good player but was targetted by our boo boys unfortunately they were our 4 5 and 6 for years only ever changed if there was an injury to any of them

Grammar police here, was it unfortunate our boo boys targeted him,or that they were our 4,5 and 6 for yrs ? :hmmm:
Asking for a friend

Grammar police here, was it unfortunate our boo boys targeted him,or that they were our 4,5 and 6 for yrs ? :hmmm:
Asking for a friend
yeah realised that bulmer when i read it back my apologies they were our regular 4 5 and 6 for years but gerry summers did get some stick from the boo boys dont know why really cos he was a very good left half as they were called in those days lol

Ok Officer.

He (Summers) was targeted by our boo boys (and mi Dad) unfortunately. They were our regular LHB, CH, and RHB for years.
joe shaw was 5ft nowt but his timing for headers was that good he could win the header against a 6ft centre forward most of the time had some great battles with bronco layne

yeah realised that bulmer when i read it back my apologies they were our regular 4 5 and 6 for years but gerry summers did get some stick from the boo boys dont know why really cos he was a very good left half as they were called in those days lol
I knew what you meant SOB just bein mischievous,passing the time :yawning:

Incidentally he probably got stick off our boo boys because we demand to have a scapegoat,we’ve never been any different whilst ever I’ve been goin,people hankering after the good old days when we sang for 90 mins and got behind every member of the team. It never happened !

joe shaw was 5ft nowt but his timing for headers was that good he could win the header against a 6ft centre forward most of the time had some great battles with bronco layne
I know he wasn’t very tall Shoreham. My Missis (to be) and me actually had the pleasure of sharing a table with him and his lovely wife in the Latino Lounge at the Cavendish Club. I’m 5’11” and I towered over him. I’d only be about 18/19 yo and he’d retired by then, but I was totally in awe of him.

I saw him in his last year and half with us and he was still a fantastic player. It was all in the timing, a pleasure to watch. He had an unbelievable understanding with Hodgy.

Sorry for not bein an old fogey gray :lol:
You thick forker Bully,tha wern't around in 1066(Tho tha looks owd enuff to have been):yes: but tha shud know who won the battle of Hastings.Joe Shaw the finest uncapped Centre Half in't country accordin to mi dear departed owd Dad.UTCB

You thick forker Bully,tha wern't around in 1066(Tho tha looks owd enuff to have been):yes: but tha shud know who won the battle of Hastings.Joe Shaw the finest uncapped Centre Half in't country accordin to mi dear departed owd Dad.UTCB
I know who he is,no chance of the village losing you is there. I’m just not familiar with what he looked like especially when he’s all scrubbed up in his finest and not caked in mud with a blades shirt on

Incidentally he probably got stick off our boo boys because we demand to have a scapegoat,we’ve never been any different whilst ever I’ve been goin,people hankering after the good old days when we sang for 90 mins and got behind every member of the team. It never happened !
In fairness I think it was a bit different back then. My Dad didn’t like Summers but he wouldn’t ever have thought about booing him in a game or even booing a team off. I think it’s probably because the players were seen as part of the community back then and the same few turned out every week for (as with the 3 in the photo) for years.

It’s habitual now for some to boo, a player or a team could have played blinders the previous games but one off game and they get stick off some. Look at Norwood against Brum, it was a fecking disgrace after the way he’d played in his first few games. Imagine them going to work and doing a great job then having one off day and being bollocked by all and sundry? They’d wet Thisens.

I think a lot of it’s down to too much ale, but you’re right about it not being a modern thing even though I personally think it’s got worse in recent years I probably first noticed it in the late 70’s/ early 80’s. I fell out a few times with gobshites on the Kop back then who’d moan from the off, it wasn’t as bad at away games though.