Blades 1 Newcastle 0 - report/pod | Vital Football

Blades 1 Newcastle 0 - report/pod

Deadbat_DB

Vital Squad Member
Podcast reaction and report

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3JV7ocf2GRztm79ioF8SZ0?si=a6CJ6SodRamqH5mvTEi8tg

----

Finally, at the 17th time of asking this season and after 20 games without a win in the league, the Blades can finally celebrate a win again! A 1-0 victory over Steve Bruce’s Newcastle at the Lane was in the end well deserved. It took a VAR decision and a Billy Sharp penalty to settle the game but the home side were the much better side and dominated the first half when it was eleven v eleven. Oddly, the visitors improved after Ryan Fraser was sent off and the game became scrappy but a handball decision saw United get another decision in their favour and Sharp did the rest. A late scare when Jayden Bogle nearly put the ball into his own net jangled the nerves but the Blades held on and they had a win when it seemed like it might never some!

Wilder only made one change from the side that won in the FA Cup at the weekend with Oli Burke in from the start for Lys Mousset who dropped to the bench. Newcastle began with just Callum Wilson up top with Andy Carroll employed from the bench after starting at the weekend. There was still no place for Allan Saint Maxim who was still recovering from COVID-19.

The game started with Ramsdale earning a free kick as Wilson tried to stop his kick out but the Blades won an early corner that was cleared. Newcastle’s first attack saw an excellent Fraser cross but Bogle headed away.

United started by playing some good football and Burke had a cross cleared by Fernandez and then McGoldrick played a neat ball into Burke but it was blocked out. It was all possession stuff and very patient and Lundstram hit a shot on the turn after more good work from the two strikers but it was always curling away.

On 12 minutes lovely football saw Fleck, Burke and Lundstram move it about quickly all one touch and McGoldrick opted to have a first time shot and Darlow saved. It may have been offside but it was enterprising stuff.

The next attack Lundstram headed across and Bogle tried to flick on but it came back to Lundstram who fired badly over when well placed.

Fraser tried to go through on the break but Basham got back to defend well and out muscle him. Newcastle had 10 men behind the ball and were clearly playing on the break. United remained patient and it was the most football Norwood and Fleck had seen all season.

27 minutes Basham’s mistake saw Ramsdale have to scurry out and boot away and from the resulting throw Fernandez whipped a super cross over which Wilson met getting away from Basham, but the striker’s header bulleted just wide with Ramsdale motionless.

United were back on the attack and created a similarly good chance when Ampadu sent over a superb deep cross but McGoldrick’s header caromed off target as he was challenged by a defender.

More good work saw the ball moved around and Fleck had a shot blocked before they worked it across and Osborn’s cross was cleared. Fleck then played it down the line for Burke who drifted inside but his shot was blocked before at the other end a timely reminder came for the Blades to stay alive. Newcastle broke and were 3 on 2 and had men over but as the ball was set up for Hayden, Osborn made a superb block. The visitors won a corner that saw another free header, this time Hayden and the ball struck Egan with a delay as VAR had a look at it for a possible handball but deemed the contact accidental.

The Blades went back on the attack and Burke again used his searing pace to get in but Fernandez made a last-ditch block as he drew his foot back.

The next attack came down the other side and McGoldrick put over a superb cross that seemed like it just needed turning over the line but somehow Lundstram missed it as it appeared to go through his and a defender’s legs. Bogle then got in and cut inside and forced Darlow into his second save of the half but it was straight at him as he beat the ball away.

It was excellent stuff from United and the momentum was all with the home side but they had not got the crucial opening goal or tested the keeper enough. Fraser was late in on Fleck and was booked and then incredibly only a few minutes later he went in late on McGoldrick and the tackle earnt him a second yellow and an early departure. It was a stupid challenge to make when already booked and so soon after the first one.

The second half saw United create an early chance when Osborn sent over a cross and the ball fell for Bogle and from close range Darlow made the save. Two of United’s three attempts on goal had come from the former Derby man.

Wilder made a move early as he took Basham off and Brewster went up top as the Blades went to 4 at the back and McGoldrick dropped into the hole. The next stage of the game saw United have a lot of the ball but Newcastle were now sitting deep and as a result the Blades put on Sharp for Burke in an attempt to find the breakthrough.

The Blades has struggled to create much and ironically had looked less threatening with a man advantage but then Bogle again came inside but thrashed his shot wide. Brewster then put over a dangerous cross but no one was on the end of it.

Newcastle had not threatened but Schar’s attempted free kick from half way to catch Ramsdale out did not have the desired affect and the keeper got back easily.

It had been a frustrating second half though and Bogle slipped to let Wilson in but United got bodies back but the chances were not coming freely. United got down the left and tried to work an opening and Bogle pirouetted but the ball span away and was cleared. McGoldrick’s cross was then headed well wide by Brewster on the stretch as the clock ticked into the last 20 minutes.

On 73 minutes another decision in United’s favour changed the game. The ball over the top saw Sharp and Fernandez tussling for the ball and as Sharp wrestled for it, the defender seemed to use a hand to knock it away. The Blades players went up straight away. After it went out, VAR was called and Andy Madley was told to go and have a look at the monitor. A sure sign that it may be overturned and sure enough he quickly pointed to the spot. SHARP took it and drilled it low into the right-hand corner of Darlow’s goal who went the wrong way. It was his 100th goal for the club.

Ritchie came on for Dummett for Newcastle and then Brewster was away but his shot was just wide after a powerful run. Carroll was then sent on for Fernandez as Steve Bruce know they had to go for it with just over 10 minutes to play. Sharp was then booked for a bad foul on Schar and on another day could have seen red for a late and high challenge but VAR seemed happy with the original decision.

Norwood gave it away on half way and Newcastle were away but Hayden’s cross was flicked at Ramsdale by Wilson with his head. At the other end Brewster then worked a space and his shot deflected onto the post off a defender, with Darlow beaten. It was so close to sealing the game.

Schar was clearly still wound up after the Sharp tackle and body checked McGoldrick cynically to earn a yellow card himself before at the other end two silly fouls from Egan and then maybe even more so, from McGoldrick, saw a free kick right on the edge of the box. Sub Murphy took it but it was straight at Ramsdale.

The game entered 6 minutes of stoppage time after all the subs and the VAR incident for the penalty and United saw the first part out well although Brewster ran offside from Sharp’s pass and chipped wide anyway. Jagielka came on for McGoldrick as United were nearly there but Ampadu’s throw out of play saw one last chance as the goal kick was boomed up field. It dropped for Bogle who heard a shout from Ramsdale but breasted it back to where he thought he was but the ball went agonisingly towards the goal but fortunately the right side of the post. The corner came in and a shot was hit wide before the final whistle went and United had finally won a game!

United – Just a huge relief. I generally thought we may go all season without winning. I think if we had not won tonight then with the games coming up; I could see it literally being down to West Brom or Burnley at home as the only games we had a chance. Now we have a win, I can see another 2 or 3. I think we are absolutely down and seeing some people saying we have a chance and this could be the springboard is ridiculous. We are gone. We would need to have form of a top 4 or 5 team for the rest of the way to even have a chance of staying up. Yes, West Brom are bad and Newcastle are falling but Burnley, Newcastle, Brighton, Fulham are still a long way ahead and we would still need to do something incredible. It is not happening sadly but for me, regardless of that, I am just glad for one night to have that winning feeling. I am pleased for Wilder and the players. They have been poor this season and deserve to be where they are but certainly for what they have done for the club it was horrible to look at them each week trooping off and you could tell the confidence was rock bottom.

Mentally it must have been killing them. To keep losing week after week must be psychologically sapping too.

Today we thoroughly deserved the win. We were bright, knocked it about and played some great stuff first half. We moved it at pace at times but were patient too. It was great to watch and reminded me of the side from last season and years past. We had good combinations down both sides and Burke and McGoldrick linked well. Maybe the final bits again were not quite there but we did have chances. Burke had a few blocked, Lundstram had two shots and Burke also got in and the keeper made a few expected but decent saves. We had a few balls go across the box (McGoldrick to Lundstram not sure how that did not go in) and overall, we did enough and played enough quality football to have been a few goals up. They only had one Wilson header (similar to the McGoldrick one soon after) but they sat up so defensive and did not even look to go forward. I really enjoyed watching us first half and we dominated possession and the game. Just the final bit did not quite happen and we maybe did not make the keeper work enough. The red card I thought would help us even more but oddly it had the opposite effect.

They then sat back even deeper negating Burke and the movement we tried to create and I though the subs actually disrupted us – I can see Wilder’s logic in both as we did not need three centre backs v one striker but I think Bash and Ampadu could have just pushed on more. I also think Burke still could have been a threat. I felt Brewster did quite well but felt we lost the momentum a bit. Second half we never got fully going. Bogle had a few half chances and one good chance well saved at close range but we did not move it quick enough and were sloppy with things in the final third. They again only threatened on the break and were so deep and negative but you could see why with 10 men. They were better with 10! I felt the game was drifting and credit to Billy for forcing something. I thought he was rubbish aside from that and coolly converting the penalty but credit to him for making something happening and then having the bottle to finish it. He was lucky after not to get send off for a poor foul. The final stages of the game you sensed the nerves and they had a few half chances (Wilson, free kick at end and then the Bogle-Ramsdale indecision) but the players probably were so nervous having not kept a clean sheet/winning games that they just had forgot to win.

It was a good performance and as I say first half better than the second but we deserved it. I thought there were improvements from Norwood, Fleck and particularly Ampadu. Bogle and McGoldrick did well and Burke a threat at times. Lundstram put a shift in. No one was really bad. We won our individual battles and saw a lot of the ball as a result. We actually ran more, tackled more and won headers more. Still a few nervy moments (free headers from crosses) but it was individually and collectively better than it has been, albeit v a really negative and poor Newcastle team. Tonight, I am just enjoying the win. We have some really hard games coming up of course but that is for another day. I am just hoping the players can relax and as Sharp says play with no fear now. The monkey is off our back now, so we just need to enjoy our football. Hopefully, we might win a few more games in the next few months and at least end the season with confidence and get some of our key men in form and hopefully the likes of Ramsdale and Brewster can kick on too ready for the Championship. I hope we might sign some steel in midfield and maybe defence as still feel teams get through us too easy and we need a few tougher and physical players in key areas such as left hand side of defence and central midfield but I want players that will be with us next season preferably – not stop gap players.

Ratings:

Ramsdale 7/10 – Couple of moments of indecision again but some of these caused by his defenders! Stayed on his line on the corners and then had to rescue Basham’s mistake. He did not have anything really to do first half. Second half again at times he looks a bit jittery to me as he was coming and going and him messing with his contact lenses did not fill me with confidence. Held the free kick at the end. Defence did not help with some stupid back passes (Basham and Egan did this) and then at the end not sure why he came right to the side to claim the ball as he got nowhere near it when Bogle had it – even if he shouted surely, he runs towards the ball not to the side? Those two were lucky to get away with it. His communication with the defence at times is all over the place and indecision aplenty for all!

Bogle 7.5/10 – Good performance yet again. Started the game well forward begin and was involved in lots of things we did all game. Always in the action and had a shot saved, another effort blocked and then another one saved second half and one wide. He had 4 efforts on goal! He also popped up down the left a few times second half. Decent on the ball and quick feet. Been really good last few and deserves to keep his place. One slip nearly let Wilson in and then the chest back could have been a disaster – think he heard Ramsdale shout but then did not know he had come out.

Osborn 7/10 – Steady game. Not put under that pressure defensively and got up the flank early and linked well. His crossing was not as on point as Saturday but to be fair we were recycling it more and moving it about to create space/angles with overloads. He was neat and tidy featuring in some of our better attacks. Made one great defensive block on Hayden too. Second half did not see as much of it going down the flank and we lacked fluency. Some of his crosses were more looped and not sure we we got as many good balls in or linked as well. He has been better than Stevens the last few games and keeps the shirts albeit with tougher opponents to come now who will test him defensively.

Basham 6.5/10 – Error on the back pass and lost a header to Wilson again showing his vulnerability aerially. Going forward he stepped inside and out of defence a few times and kick started a few attacks but we seemed to go more down the left first half I thought. He was sacrificed early second half.

Ampadu 7.5/10 – Great cross for the McGoldrick header and just was more alert and on his game more. Best he has played for us since maybe the game at Liverpool I think it was? He made a few interceptions defensively and also got forward better and his touch and passing had more zip/pace. He made sure he got in front of his man. Far better showing from him. Still a few moments where he goes to floor too much but he did what was asked tonight albeit not really having any strikers against him.

Egan 7/10 – Solid enough most of the game winning headers and blocks when needed. Maybe a bit lucky with the one off his hand – would have been given last season I felt but maybe not – not sure? He won headers when he could early on and Wilson drifted off him for the chance when he was on Basham. He did not have much to do/defend really though and so it was a relatively easy game. He made a daft back pass to Ramsdale and a few silly fouls for no reason where he went through players.

Lundstram 7/10 – Involved and always in the action to start and he had one early shot wide, then another header and shot over in one move. He somehow missed McGoldrick’s cross. Easily the most dynamic of the midfield and first half thought he was busy and got around the field and put loads of effort in. Dropped off second half and we did not have the control or influence and a bit sloppier when he did have it.

Fleck 6/10 – To give him 6 may seem not great but he was miles better than he has been. Still a long way from what but saw some glimpses tonight. He started slow and fell over once under no pressure or was too slow to react to things but gradually got on it more. He kept it simple and was just passing it off but at least kept it and got around the pitch more. He was reticent to drive with the ball and did hot potato or ask others to do things but after such a bad spell probably wanted to get back to basics. Too often he goes to floor defensively (as does Norwood) but I felt today he was ok. Not brilliant but touched it more and passed it more to a red and white shirt than he had all season. He started to pass it forward more (one to Burke) and had a shot blocked. Maybe slowly getting there but still looks a yard or two slow.

Norwood 6.5/10 – As above. He had a better game and I felt he got on it a lot and was able to control a lot of play early on with basic switches of play but was able to at least influence things. He was not fantastic and some set plays were off again (straight at keeper or near post) but he was ok and I felt helped us maintain large swathes of possession first half. Felt we got scrappy second half and he dropped off but did to be fair get a few foot ins and interceptions. He needs to cut out this annoying habit of going down on one knee or both to make a tackle/interception but maybe after 12-13 years of a pro career it is too late! I still think at times him and Fleck look like they are blowing out of their behinds and carrying a piano on their backs but we saw some better things today – whether that was just because Newcastle just sat off or if they did have better games, I am not sure.

McGoldrick 7.5/10 – Along with Ampadu and Bogle, contender for man of the match. Carried on from Saturday always getting on the ball and was constant motion linking with Burke, with other midfielders, wing backs and just at the hub of all our good stuff. He wants to get on the ball and at times drove with it, others he would come inside and bring others into it. He was really good. Put in a few decent balls and nearly made the goal for Lundstram. He did miss a headed chance. Second half not as involved. He was dropped deeper but felt the whole team just became a bit sloppy. When we had it, we were too slow to move it and not sure we did enough to hurt them. Still a few moments and had a few runs that drew fouls.

Burke 6.5/10 – A threat with his pace and movement but his decisions first half were not the best when he got there. Still, he always wants to run off defenders and had a number of shots blocked and a few where he just took too long. He is positive though but needs to get his head up when he gets there and also show more composure. He almost wants to do things before he gets to the ball and runs past it at times. There is a threat definitely with him in the side. He needs to work on the final bit of course.

Subs –

Brewster 7/10 – Much better today when he came on and I felt looked direct and determined to make an impact. I am not sure we got better as a team and he had to make things happen himself (only one poor header from McGoldrick’s cross) and had 2 or 3 direct runs forward. One he shot wide, another had an effort off the post and drew a foul. On the ball he came shorter and just got more involved and looked like he wanted to show what he can do. He did not wait for things to come to him. First time I have seen a decent half hour where I saw some things today. Does need a goal of course.

Sharp 6/10 – I actually thought he was crap when he came on outside of running the lad down and forcing the effort. Of course, this was big and he took the penalty really well! He did not do much else right really but gets the marks for winning and scoring the penalty. In general play he may have been closer to a 2 or 3/10 outside of this! Lucky not to get sent off and kept fouling his man or giving it away and too slow to react to things but no one will remember that and he had the cojones to step up and convert a huge kick.

Jagielka – Came on at the end and we managed to concede a corner to get him right in the action. Not sure he touched it and it was time not long after the shot went away from the corner.

Manager Wilder 7.5/10 – A win. Kept faith with the team (save for Burke) that won the game Saturday and showed some improvements and we saw a continuation. A really good first half performance and some lovely football with some patient stuff mixed with one touch quick stuff also. We had a good attitude and forced the game. Should have led and maybe have been concerned we did not take advantage. Would have been concerned we did not create tons of clear chances but had enough openings. Second half was bitty and they defended even deeper with 10. The goal was crucial as at that stage not sure I could see it coming. I was not sure the subs helped but he cannot be criticised for being brave. I felt we were on top and doing fine but he also saw they had defended eve deeper and felt we could get more forwards on. It was just a messy 2nd half but we got over the line and deserved it. I am delighted for him. He must have felt under so much pressure but tonight he can exhale and at least just have people talking about him and the club in a positive way and not questions about his future.

Newcastle – They have been on bad form and when I saw they started with just Wilson and 5 at the back and a packed midfield and no Carroll, I felt that gave us the initiative. They clearly wanted to play on the break and this so negative against a team bottom, not win and so low in confidence. They sat back and we played around them and really could have been up by a couple at half time. They had one chance (Wilson) and another blocked but we dominated. The red card was stupid. They dug in I suppose and made us go side to side and may think they had seen off the threat but then a poor piece of defending (why put your hand out?) and they are behind and have to chase. Other than the free kick not sure they had much at the end (outside of the Bogle moment) and deserved nothing. They were really poor. I think if they had started with two up and Carroll and got the ball in the box, they may have caused us issues as our defence is struggling aerially and set plays but he played into our hands. Bruce had had the measure of Wilder quite a bit too so his tactics and line up was a shock.

He is under pressure. They may well get sucked into a struggle. They have enough with players (when they get some back too such as Saint Maximin, Lascelles and Shelvey they will improve. I think they will stay up but it may be a squeeze and the dreary football may see that they have a different manager. Even without fans there, the fans are making their feelings felt and it is bad to watch. They do not attack much and set up so defensively. They may have enough points on the board already to just do enough to get clear but what a depressing approach to games. They do have some decent players and even with injuries, you look at the bench and there are people who can create and hurt teams but he goes very conservative.

Opponent Man of the Match – Wilson had a few chances and two headers and the only threat and Darlow made a few saves. So maybe one of those two. Hayden was busy but not sure anyone was great. They barely had any of the ball and just sat off.

Opponent Weak link – Fraser. Cannot be anyone else although ironically, they were better with 10! First yellow was a bit soft maybe but can see why he gave it. The second was ridiculous and why he did it so quick and this was far worse and left the ref with no choice. Idiotic and made a negative set up and a team playing badly have an even bigger uphill task. A few others were completely anonymous. Not sure I saw Hendrick touch the ball. The two centre backs got in a bit of a running battle and started to lose their cool near the end.

Referee/Officials - Andy Madley. Quite a bit to discuss. I panicked with the Egan one but maybe it was one they may have given last year but did come at home quick and he had his hands down. The penalty was one I thought not at the time and then even on the first replay but that is where VAR is good as you can see when you watch it a few times, he moves his hand towards it. Did Sharp grab him? Maybe a bit but not enough for a foul really. It was a tussle that goes on all the times. He does make a motion with his hand and you knew as soon as it was looked at it would be given. Bruce may say it was pathetic and not clear and obvious but actually it is obvious when you look back. Not sure I agree with him on that one sadly. He says it was not intentional but why does he move his hand towards it.

The red card for Fraser was right. Two daft tackles really and the player’s fault. The Sharp one was a red card and Bruce is right. He says they did not check it but they did (However, he is right it was a bad tackle and he cannot have argued if they had upgraded it). I thought we got a few 50/50’s though tonight but we had more ball and thus more tackles/fouls came into our players. Three other bookings for them – the keeper I think for dissent on the penalty and then two cynical fouls from Hayden and Schar. Sharp as discussed and then McGoldrick stopping a breakaway for us got booked.

Bruce blaming the officials is a bit pathetic. They were second best 11 v 11 anyway and deserved to lose the game.

Another good report, easier to write when you win I bet. Better performance deserved win, Newcastle were negative from the off and a poor performance, can understand Newcastle's fans frustration with Bruce and his selections they do have some decent players. Take the win certainly harder games to come but you can only beat what's in front of you, we can hope Spurs have an off day.Var worked for us with the pen, would have been disappointed if we had it given against us but we will take it. Billy does know how to use the dark arts mind, poor tackle that, lucky boy.