Blackpool released and retained list | Vital Football

Blackpool released and retained list

AbelBFC

Vital Football Legend
It's a new day and back to business! (Don't know about anyone else but the adrenaline is still absolutely pumping!)

According to Football League rules, we have to confirm our released/retained list with them by the close of business on Thursday.

As it stands, Championship squads will be capped at 25 players next season (including any loans, even if U21).

(U21) denotes player will be classed as an U21 player next season.

Please note that I have only listed players to make a first team appearance this season (whether here or elsewhere).

Under contract for 2021/22 season:
Chris Maxwell
Teddy Howe
Demetri Mitchell
Daniel Gretarsson
Jordan Thorniley
Marvin Ekpiteta
Kenny Dougall
Kevin Stewart
Keshi Anderson
Matty Virtue
Ethan Robson
Oliver Sarkic
CJ Hamilton
Bez Lubala
Rob Apter (U21)
Jerry Yates
Joe Nuttall
Brad Holmes (U21)

Option for 2021/22 season:
Alex Fojticek (U21)
James Husband
Grant Ward
Cameron Antwi (U21)
Ben Garrity
Nathan Shaw (U21)
Sullay Kaikai
Adi Yussuf

Loan expires end of 2020/21 season:
Jordan Gabriel
Daniel Ballard
Elliot Embleton
Ellis Simms (U21)

Out of contract end of 2020/21 season:
Stuart Moore
Jack Sims
Ollie Turton
Luke Garbutt
Liam Feeney
Gary Madine

I haven't slept nore than 90mins during the night.
Watched some of our game on the sly full replay that started at 2300hrs but have been laughing at pkeonslime's " do we want the lashers promoted thread"
Especially the posts after 1501hrs yesterday🤣🤣🤣

I haven't slept nore than 90mins during the night.
Watched some of our game on the sly full replay that started at 2300hrs but have been laughing at pkeonslime's " do we want the lashers promoted thread"
Especially the posts after 1501hrs yesterday🤣🤣🤣
I slept like a log before the game but still absolutely bouncing! Emily didn't react well to my suggestion that I watch the game back in full at 11pm last night, but I've just come downstairs to watch it and finish the slow cooked chilli that's been on overnight ready for bfcpete's promotion party later today... is it too early for another celebratory tipple?!

Howe Bez definitely gone and possibly Thorniley too. Can see us trying to move Robson on.
Options- Fojticek, Garritty Shaw, Yussuf not taken up.

Sarkic gone and Nuttall I can see us trying to move on.
Out of contract - can see Garbutt resigning and I'm 50/50 over Madine. He has the nous for the 2nd div (old money). Turton - think he has earned a new deal.

Loans - can see us signing Embleton and I'm really confident in Ballard being loaned back and I hope Simms is too.
Reality is we should be having the pick of Liverpools 2nd + youth strings and any Prem youngsters. Critchley's stock will have gone through the roof.

Having to break my thoughts into more than one post as too many characters!

Of those under contract, I'd transfer list:

Teddy Howe - Bags of pace but horrible defensively. Critch gave him every chance to play his way back into our plans in pre-season, but he didn't take the opportunity. By all accounts Scunthorpe like him, and League 2 is probably his level right now. Still only 22, so time to develop and je could well be a player who works his way back up the leagues in years to come once he gets regular games under his belt. For now though, we can't afford to carry any passengers in the vain hope they turn into something.

Jordan Thorniley - Has he done a steady enough job when called upon second half of the season? Yes. And that will make it easier for us to ship him off, having struggled to do so earlier in the season. I stand by my opinion that he's a left footed Ryan Edwards. He's incredibly slow (which doesn't fit with wanting to play a high(er) defensive line with a pressing game), his quality on the ball is up and down (like Edwards he looks really comfortable one minute then really ungainly the next) and when you watch highlights of games he's played back you can actually pinpoint he's at fault for several goals (Peterborough game a good starting point). And for the benefit of bfcpete who likes his 'height', he's literally one inch taller than Husband and still comes in at under six foot. We're a Championship club now; he doesn't fit how we want to play long term and we can and must do better. He'll go with everyone's best wishes obviously and with the games he's played for a playoff winning side he should have several suitors; you'd imagine someone like Salford could be a potential fit (I'm not saying he's L2 standard, just that they're the sort of club to cough up a fee for him and pay his wages without blinking).

Oliver Sarkic - Just hasn't worked out for him at all has it. Seen rumours that he's very lazy fitness wise (don't know if true), but he was well down the pecking order very early doors regardless which is never a good sign. Think the transfer committee (including Critch) just have to hold their hands up and admit they got this one wrong, and hope they can ship him out. Clough obviously took him on loan at Mansfield having managed him at Burton, but he got injured there after making minimal impact. Although he wasn't a regular for Clough at Burton (their fans weren't overly sorry to see him go), you could see Clough take a punt on him again next season as Mansfield are League Two after all. Sarkic will definitely want first team football though, and he needs it else he risks having a nomadic career like Gerardo Bruna.

Bez Lubala - Despite our hopes that whatever has gone on behind the scenes would be resolved, it's clear he's persona non grata (was he there yesterday?). There is a player there, but for him to be frozen out when we were so short of attacking options spells the end you fear. I wonder if Crawley would be in a position to take him back? Would suit them if they could get him firing again; they'd get to cash in on him twice! We may have to settle for a loan though.

Joe Nuttall - Simon Sadler has regretted this transfer pretty much ever since it went through. Nuttall never really wanted to be here, and I shudder when I think about the outlay we made (thankfully Northampton have paid his wages in full this season for 6 minutes of action!). Think Simon Grayson and David Dunn have to take a lot of the blame for where this lad is at the moment, but no doubt they'll be trying to get him to Fleetwood next season. Suspect Curle at Oldham will be interested too, although wages will be an issue. Again, like Lubala we may have to settle for a loan.

I'd also make Apter and Holmes available for loan.

Of those with options, I'd make the following decisions:

Alex Fojticek - Release. He didn't impress me when he was on trial and I honestly think we just took a punt seeing as a) he was cheap (in terms of wages) and b) he's young so we were hoping he'd develop. The fact that we felt the need to bring in Stuart Moore speaks volumes; he hasn't developed as hoped. Let him go and get first team football elsewhere and see if he can make a career for himself. We'll probably be shopping for another U21 keeper released from somewhere as third choice next season.

James Husband - Retain. This could be one of those where you activate the optional year and then find better during the summer and move him on. I actually thought he was dead in the water after the Charlton red, but he's bounced back really well since (and the underlying stats back this up) and I know Critch likes his aggression. He's in a weird position though where Garbutt is preferred to him in his natural position, but he's preferred to Thorniley in Thorniley's natural position. Think the versatility he's showed will count in his favour (and we know Critch loves it).

Grant Ward - Retain. I genuinely don't know his best position. He doesn't impose himself enough physically on a consistent basis in the Dougall/Stewart role. He doesn't have the pace to consistently beat his man when playing wide (nor is his quality into the box anything to write home about). And he's not full of goals or assists when playing just behind the attack (two goals and two assists this season). And I know some rave about his passing, but Ethan Robson betters him in some passing categories (including pass success %) so is he really all that? He's always felt like a square peg in a round hole to me. That said, Critch loves him and I think they'll take the view that his versatility is well worth the one year option.

Cameron Antwi - Retain. Take the option and get him out on loan.

Ban Garrity - Release. Not worked out for him here, but he's done enough at Oldham to earn himself a deal at a Football League club. Somewhere like Barrow could be a good fit.

Nathan Shaw - Retain. Take the option and get him out on loan. Make or break year for him.

Sullay Kaikai - Retain. It's made me laugh in the last few weeks how some posters who give him shit game in game out on the match threads have been sweating about his fitness for the playoffs. Seven goals and eight assists in the league this season in a team that's not scored bundles of goals. You'd be mad not to take up his option. In fact, the only player who's contributed more assists in fewer minutes on the pitch in the whole league is McGeady at Sunderland. Does he need to improve his consistency and work rate at times? Sure. But promotion and knowing he has a year to impress could light a fire under him.

Adi Yussuf - Release. There is a rumour doing the rounds that the club have a deal in place with Chesterfield whereby we'll activate his option then immediately sell him to them for a nominal fee which would be incredible business, if true (even if just a few grand). You'll always hear me warn about signing players after a 'career year' and I absolutely slammed his signing as soon as it was made. A two year deal... what was Terry McPhillips thinking?! Madness.

Of those out of contract I'd make the following decisions:

Stuart Moore - Release. Did what was required of him and got a winners medal for his 'efforts'. We need better competition/cover for Maxwell in the league above.

Jack Sims - Release. Me and Sexy are adamant there is a player there but he needs first team football to prove it and unfortunately the club has probably outgrown him.

Ollie Turton - Offer new contract. Steady Eddie. I have my reservations about whether he can make the step up but he's earned his shot on a 1+1. Versatile too, and Critch loves that.

Luke Garbutt - Offer new contract. The salary cap worked in our favour when it came to signing him last summer, but I think £ won't be a priority for him this summer; he'll be absolutely desperate for another crack at the Championship at 28 years old. I have my doubts about him defensively, but he's good going forward and that, ultimately, is what Critch wants from his full backs. I can't see him having any other takers in the Championship willing to offer him first team football. Give him a 1+1.

Liam Feeney - Release. We've not missed him and his crosses have we? Will get a deal in League Two.

Gary Madine - Offer new contract. It shows how much Critch values him when he threw him on yesterday. All this guff about a fall out was bollocks, and he's a big figure in that dressing room and has taken the likes of Jerry under his wing. The only concern will be £ for a player who isn't going to be starting every game. He may choose to take one last pay day elsewhere, particularly if first team football is on offer. That said I hope the thought of one final crack at the Championship (he turns 31 in the summer) sways him, and I think he is good enough and offers us something a little different. He's certainly the best footballing target man we've had in years. 1+1 deal again.

Of those on loan:

Jordan Gabriel - Try and re-sign on loan. He loves being here, but I'm sure both he and Forest would have wanted him to play more this season (credit to Turton for keeping him out of the side). I think he's improved in his time here and offers us a little bit of versatility with his speed. Forest have him tied down to a long deal so the option of a permanent deal is probably off the table, but could Forest be willing to loan him out again to us now we're in the Championship? Another 18 league starts for us next season could do him the world of good (would he make as many at Forest?). The only concern is that Forest will want to take a look at him in pre-season and having been in the playoffs our window for building for next season is already short as it is (hence why I'm taking the view it's best not to chuck the baby out with the bath water).

Daniel Ballard - Try and re-sign on loan. I see there's already a rumour that this is going to happen, and it makes a lot of sense for all three parties: 1) Arsenal get to see how he steps up in the Championship after an eye catching League One campaign, 2) Ballard gets to further his development and progression in a higher league under a good coaching staff, 3) we get to keep a good player who fits right in. He reminds me so much of Craig Cathcart, except he's more physical.

Elliot Embleton - Try and sign permanently. Hearing reports we want him permanently, and I'd be OK with that - if the price is right. He's certainly not a player I'd push the boat out for though, particularly with only a year to run on his deal at Sunderland. I suspect people's opinions on him will be all over the place, and that captures perfectly where he is as a player right now - good days and bad days. Think Critch could be the manager to get the best out of him, and he does bring that much loved versatility to the table.

Ellis Simms - Try and re-sign on loan. There were a lot of suitors for him in January and there will be again this summer. You'd like to think we're at the front of the queue though (particularly with Keith Southern fighting our corner), and like with Ballard it's a deal that could make perfect sense for all three parties (particularly as Simms likes being in the North West). We may have to wait for him though; with only a year left to run on his deal Everton will want to tie him down before letting him go out on loan. Me, bfcpete and Callum were talking after the game and agreed that a strike force of Yates, Simms, Madine + one other would be a good starting point in the Championship.

If we followed/achieved the above it'd leave us looking like this:

Maxwell
Garbutt
Husband
Gretarsson
Ballard
Ekpiteta
Turton
Gabriel
Dougall
Stewart
Ward
Virtue
Robson
Anderson
Embleton
Kaikai
Hamilton
Mitchell
Yates
Simms
Madine

We'd then need (in my opinion):

2 x GK (one U21)
1 x left footed centre half
1 x wide player (with pace)
1 x striker

That's not to say that should a player come available who would be an upgrade that we shouldn't sign them, just like we did with Dougall and Stewart (e.g. you could easily see us upgrading on the unlucky Ethan Robson)!

Some incisive and thoughtful analysis there. Goal Machine made a massive impact when he came on and after his enforced break this term should be raring to go. As a general principle I would suggest that we clear out those players about whom there is an element of debate and replace with championship quality. With a squad size of 25 I wouldn't be going for Embleton who is muscled off the ball far too easily. A keeper who commands his box is a must for me.

A lot of people won't agree with me but I believe we'll need a better keeper than Maxwell in the Championship. He doesn't command his area enough and is prone to 'flapping' under pressure. At the minimum we need someone to challenge his position. I still don't think that having your 'keeper as the captain works well enough.

Well thought through and well written. I agree with most but do have concerns.

Left and right back positions seem weak. Don't think that Turton, Gabriel, Husband or Garbutt are strong enough defensively for the Championship. In many ways Husband and Garbutt could well be liabilities as they look like have a good chance of being sent off for ill-timed challenges in bad areas. Thought Garbutt was lucky to stay on the pitch yesterday.

Think we are still missing a creative midfielder. Someone to pull the strings and feed the wide folks and Yates, Simms etc. so they can score goals which is what we will need them to do and score goals... a Charlie type, but perhaps I am being greedy?

Still, it is really nice to be thinking of strengthening for the Championship.
We mostly looked comfortable yesterday and, other than the odd hiccup (Doncaster away comes to mind), have easily been the best team in the league since those first 10 games.

Quietly confident that we will be ok in the Championship next year even if we are 66/1 for promotion!

Some incisive and thoughtful analysis there. Goal Machine made a massive impact when he came on and after his enforced break this term should be raring to go. As a general principle I would suggest that we clear out those players about whom there is an element of debate and replace with championship quality. With a squad size of 25 I wouldn't be going for Embleton who is muscled off the ball far too easily. A keeper who commands his box is a must for me.
Without wanting to sound negative, there is a big jump between League One and the Championship these days and I think you could quite fairly say there is an element of debate about whether nearly every member of the squad is capable of the step up. With being in the playoffs we're a few weeks behind other clubs in terms of preparation, so I think we have to take the view that we've got a good core with a coaching staff who know how to get the best out of them. We can't run the risk of jettisoning players left, right and centre and then having another bedding in period like we did at the start of this season; we need to be at the races from day one to keep our heads above water. Of course if a player comes available who improves the side you pounce (just like we did this season), but for now keep the core together and improve incrementally I say.

A lot of people won't agree with me but I believe we'll need a better keeper than Maxwell in the Championship. He doesn't command his area enough and is prone to 'flapping' under pressure. At the minimum we need someone to challenge his position. I still don't think that having your 'keeper as the captain works well enough.

Did I see that Sam Walker was released by Reading? He looked like he could be a decent option as competition for Maxie...

I think most will agree with you mate!

What people need to bear in mind, however, is that for his two biggest flaws (not commanding his box and flapping and crosses), Maxwell brings a lot of strengths to the table in terms of his skills in other areas e.g. how many goals has he set up this year with a quick ball out? If he didn't have those two flaws he wouldn't be playing for us! If we sign a keeper who is much better at commanding his area and coming for crosses, is he going to be as good as a 'sweeper keeper'?

He's also been an excellent captain. A real leader. He definitely needs proper competition though.

Did I see that Sam Walker was released by Reading? He looked like he could be a decent option as competition for Maxie...
Wants to stay down South and play regular first team football. Only took the short term move to us to put himself in the shop window.

Without wanting to sound negative, there is a big jump between League One and the Championship these days and I think you could quite fairly say there is an element of debate about whether nearly every member of the squad is capable of the step up. With being in the playoffs we're a few weeks behind other clubs in terms of preparation, so I think we have to take the view that we've got a good core with a coaching staff who know how to get the best out of them. We can't run the risk of jettisoning players left, right and centre and then having another bedding in period like we did at the start of this season; we need to be at the races from day one to keep our heads above water. Of course if a player comes available who improves the side you pounce (just like we did this season), but for now keep the core together and improve incrementally I say.

Wasn't suggesting a wholesale clear out. Retain the core as the team spirit is fantastic. My thinking is maybe to aim at replacing only a few players. Yes, there is a big jump up but our squad is young and improving. They are capable of stepping up a gear. Tis the journeymen pros like Thorniley, who hasn't let us down to be fair, whom I would be looking to prune as we progress.
Ideally we would be confirming key loan deals early. If we could hold on to Simms and Ballard for another season it would be marvellous.

so pleased were out of Lg 1 that is going to be as tough as the CCC next year, in the main I agree with Abel. Have my doubts of Max but cant see NC replacing him. For me the biggest asset we have is like the PL team, the spirit of the squad. Goes a long way when players will fight for each other.

Just imagine how depressing this thread would be if the unthinkable had happened yesterday. We would be worrying about losing key players.