Blackman, Hirst To Stay - Or Go? | Vital Football

Blackman, Hirst To Stay - Or Go?

Neither has really impressed, given what Millers fans were hoping for. The duo haven't been truly awful, but definitely no better than our players who were already under contract. Agility and kicking ability of Blackman seems to be rather limited - no idea if it can be solved in the short term. Playing behind an often makeshift defence can't have helped his confidence either. We would probably need to bring in replacements though, especially a goalscorer to replace Hirst, and not just with a target-man who never looks like scoring. The latter role is a sort of "club tradition" for us, but not for any other clubs at this level. Doesn't sound like Warney is wanting to make changes though.

Last edited:
I would off-load both players. I was excited when we got both of these but Blackman, O.M.G. he never showed anything right from the start and has only improved slightly since. He still worries me every time the ball goes near him and his kicking accuracy is awful, but the most worrying aspect of his play is that he seems to drift into his own world and starts wandering outside his area for no apparent reason. What's that all about?
As for Hirst well he's just expected to follow in his father's footsteps, but in reality is nowhere near (and I.M.O. never will be), as good. I thought Warne had brought a good 'un in when Hirst came here and each and every time he's played I've been thinking that maybe this time he'll show something, but he never has. I don't think that either player is anywhere near Championship standard, sadly. :shake:

Because we'd been after Hirst for so long I thought he was going to be exceptional - sadly, I was wrong. Room for improvement? Definitely. With the Millers? Not so sure.

Blackman, like you say, Nez, worries me too when he wanders around and sometimes he seems slow to react.