The Bjorn Engels Thread | Page 10 | Vital Football

The Bjorn Engels Thread

Was our best defender before being dropped apparently.

giphy.webp

When I first saw Engels play I thought he could become another Laursen. But recently I've been wondering, would Laursen get in a Smith side?

Me, I think Laursen should get in any side.

Out of the side for 3 months for no apparent reason, comes in and makes a mistake. No surprise if he’s rusty really especially as he’s never played in the premier league before

He was putting in average at best displays from October on wards, was utterly horrific in the Fulham defeat as well.

He's just not very good IMO, started brilliantly, but as the sample size of performances increases you get a better sense for what a player is about and Engels isn't about much.

Think we are in danger of judging another player too early in his Villa career. If they aren't instantly God or better some of us dismiss them as useless.

Still loads of potential in this team and none of them are the finished article. Stay up or go down, we are in a much better place than for any time in the last 10 years. Silly mistakes have cost us this year.

Think we are in danger of judging another player too early in his Villa career. If they aren't instantly God or better some of us dismiss them as useless.

Still loads of potential in this team and none of them are the finished article. Stay up or go down, we are in a much better place than for any time in the last 10 years. Silly mistakes have cost us this year.

The players didn't come into a stable environment so I agree it's still too early to judge some of them. I think its very hard to judge this group and even the ones we didn't sign over the summer. Hourihane might actually be useful in Sheffield Uniteds team or maybe Guilbert or Targett might look a bit better in a more solid defensive unit.

There are more levels to some of these players.

one mistake shame it cost us a point but we all have days like that dont we
i think he is a better player than house

There's a big enough sample size of games to start forming opinion. Whilst you're right it's too soon to write him off (which I have been guilty of here) when the sample size grows and you observe a consistent decline in level it's pretty concerning.

There's a big enough sample size of games to start forming opinion. Whilst you're right it's too soon to write him off (which I have been guilty of here) when the sample size grows and you observe a consistent decline in level it's pretty concerning.
How many bad games has he had? Only played 20 or so, he's not McGrath, but he had a track record of brilliance before he came to us. Engels is much younger and could still become a great player. No guarantees of course.

But the "decline" is mainly when he hasn't been playing. When he was a regular playing alongside Mings then he was mainly OK, to the point where some were wondering if he was better than Mings.

Is he injured?

I've seen talk of a knee problem I think, but nothing has ever been officially confirmed, or a return date given etc?

Others think it was a simple falling out and that he's now one of the players who DS referenced when talking about a return in Covid times and how it would be problematic for them over health issues/family concerns.

In other words - nobody seems to know lol

Is he injured?
Thought this today. I've been impressed with him but it appears we are unable to shake off the habit of forming a new bomb squad. Guilbert is squadron leader this time round, and I'm guessing engels is now in.

Thought this today. I've been impressed with him but it appears we are unable to shake off the habit of forming a new bomb squad. Guilbert is squadron leader this time round, and I'm guessing engels is now in.

Guilbert has only just returned from injury. He wouldn't be on the bench otherwise.