The Bjorn Engels Thread | Page 8 | Vital Football

The Bjorn Engels Thread

What a load of bollocks.

They really do think we're all thick. There's obviously more to it than Smith is letting on. You don't just completely drop one of your top performers from the squad for no reason.

From one of the 1st names on the sheet to not even making the bench. No way has there not been some kind of falling out.

Spot on mate, he's spoken out somewhere and been banished for it . He ws the one who really took to it like a duck to water at the start of the season, calm and assured. Something has gone on.

Or his form dropped, Dean made a swap and Engels has to wait for an opportunity again.

The team spirit is excellent and Dean Smith does not strike me as vindictive. We have no proof to support any conspiracies, let's not make up "facts" or we are acting like the press.

It's either a falling out or he has personal problems that is affecting his performances.

Who knows ?

Exactly. Don't know. His performances early on were pretty good. So don't think it's a question of not good enough. Konsa might be faster and/or more willing to work higher up the pitch, but Engels was really solid and willing to put his body on the line.

Hause is willing but is the weak link of the back three. Doesn't hold his position, bypassed too easily, gives the ball away. Would have thought a back three of Konsa, Engels and Mings was worth considering.

But there could be reasons we don't know about.

Exactly. Don't know. His performances early on were pretty good. So don't think it's a question of not good enough. Konsa might be faster and/or more willing to work higher up the pitch, but Engels was really solid and willing to put his body on the line.

Hause is willing but is the weak link of the back three. Doesn't hold his position, bypassed too easily, gives the ball away. Would have thought a back three of Konsa, Engels and Mings was worth considering.

But there could be reasons we don't know about.
Leadership in the middle. Has to be Mings there. No other left-sided CB so it’s got to be Hause. Konsa’s done pretty well and his mobility has helped (even though he’s not as composed and assured as Engles).

I think it makes footballing sense and no reason to think he’s out of favour yet. I think he’ll come right back in if/when we go to a 4.

I have no problem with Bjorn not start but the fact Chester makes the bench instead of him is utter madness!!

Can we rename this thread the "Bjorn Engels Conspiracy Thread"

Bomb Squad?
Bust up on the training pitch?

Seriously, how about the fact that he lost his place to Konsa at the same time that our most experienced and versatile defender, who also happens to be club captain, came back from injury? And at a time when we changed formation. How about that theory?

And suggesting that James Chester is a "Donkey." Sorry, I'm not having that. Get a grip for McGrath's sake! He wasn't comfortable at the start of Smith's reign - nor were Jack, Elmo and many other players who had to adjust to a completely new way of playing. Prior to that he'd been, in the words of his partner John Terry, a rolls-royce at the heart of our defence. He's an excellent player, fantastic professional, and absolutely does not deserve infantile derogatory nicknames.

Besides left footed at LCB for the out ball Hause in whole PL is:

- highest % winner of aerial duels out of players with 50 or more won
- 1st for clearances per game (min 200 mins)
- 2nd for blocked shots per game (1st is Mings. Min 200 mins)

In game weeks 1-16 we allowed 81 chances from the left. Since Hause has started game weeks 17-24 we've allowed 27.

He's making a big difference but people are judging him on other qualities. He's very solid defensively and we had a major problem with high balls in the box before he started regularly

Last edited:
Besides left footed at LCB for the out ball Hause in whole PL is:

- highest % winner of aerial duels out of players with 50 or more won
- 1st for clearances per game (min 200 mins)
- 2nd for blocked shots per game (1st is Mings. Min 200 mins)

In game weeks 1-16 we allowed 81 chances from the left. Since Hause has started game weeks 17-24 we've allowed 27.

He's making a big difference but people are judging him on other qualities. He's very solid defensively and we had a major problem with high balls in the box before he started regularly

This is why we voted for Brexit. People like you and your facts can sod off back to Poland with the rest of them. We need a player to boo and we've decided it's Hause. You won't scare us with Project Fear.

Spot on mate, he's spoken out somewhere and been banished for it . He ws the one who really took to it like a duck to water at the start of the season, calm and assured. Something has gone on.

I thought he had been banished However, I was thinking about it today. I just don't see Dean Smith as a, "Bomb squad" Manager; he's too intelligent for that crap.

I still think Engles is either unwell, can't settle or maybe his wife/partner can't settle

I thought he had been banished However, I was thinking about it today. I just don't see Dean Smith as a, "Bomb squad" Manager; he's too intelligent for that crap.

I still think Engles is either unwell, can't settle or maybe his wife/partner can't settle

Well it’s a similar situation for Jota and you can’t really say he or his family aren't settling when he hasn’t had to move house or anything. I’d like to think it’s just down to footballing reasons after injuries.

WM said that he has returned to training this week , but didn't say what was up with him.

Chester better than Engels? Not for me.

Engels looked like a decent player to me, the problem for him playing in a back three with wing backs is that he needs to play more laterally - and strikers will like the fact they can pull him wide to create some space around him. I also don't think he's as comfortable or confident carrying the ball out of defence, as Konsa or Mings are.

There is a good player in Engels, even if it is on the bench.

Last edited: