The Bjorn Engels Thread | Page 14 | Vital Football

The Bjorn Engels Thread

Injury kept him out of the team for some time. Not sure he can be judged by the Fulham and Spurs matches; other players aren't penalised so harshly for their mistakes.

No he's not better than Mings, Konsa and Hause. But that's a high bar. Is he no better than whoever his placement is? I like Konsa but he owes a lot to Mings providing support. Hause has talents but also weaknesses and I'm not sure he's better than Engels. I reckon Engels is our best attacking player at corners, at which the other three haven't achieved much.

I just have a feeling there's a story out there. Certainly DS has well and truly ditched him; why? Managers do this, but there's usually a story behind it. I can think of several possibilities (with nothing to back up any of them).
There's no conspiracy here, he wasn't good enough and has now gone and joined a poor side.

Injury kept him out of the team for some time. Not sure he can be judged by the Fulham and Spurs matches; other players aren't penalised so harshly for their mistakes.

No he's not better than Mings, Konsa and Hause. But that's a high bar. Is he no better than whoever his placement is? I like Konsa but he owes a lot to Mings providing support. Hause has talents but also weaknesses and I'm not sure he's better than Engels. I reckon Engels is our best attacking player at corners, at which the other three haven't achieved much.

I think Mings owes a lot to Konsa tbh and Mings has weaknesses too, anyone fast and nimble will turn him inside out, never really saw it as the other way around, when Mings was out the side we coped perfectly fine like he wasn’t missing, granted he started to play well towards the end of the season and so far for England, an let’s hope that continues right into next season for us.

Engels could well be injury prone and we just want to get rid before the next one comes and he’s taking up a valuable space, you’d think we’d be close to signing a new one with him leaving, but he wasn’t used at all last season, Youngs came in and as a last resort as a 4th option there’s Targett who has covered Mings ass more than one occasion when it comes to one on ones in a central position.

So perhaps we’re actually taking our time on it, without a real sense of urgency.

I wish Engels well, but I think that’s probably the last time we’re ever going to hear his name.

Looking back on this thread, not a bad word said about him until he disappeared in November, nothing but praise. Whatever happened to him to suddenly be regarded as useless, yes he fecked up against Spurs but he's hardly made the squad since and if it was an injury he'd not be getting another club.
Pretty sure it's a personality clash with the manager, he's not going to oust Ezri but he didn't suddenly become a bad player, just like Marv isn't the bad player half the posters on here said he was

Dean talking about leaving Engles out.......

"When quizzed on his lack of inclusion in the Villa squad, Dean Smith said it was just down to selection before adding, “I’ve got five good centre-halves here.”

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sp...-news/aston-villa-watford-dean-smith-17609203

Maybe Dean Smith and he fell out? - I guess we will never know but it certainly looks like Deano didn't rate him after saying the above and I wouldn't be surprised if personalities did clash at some stage of Engles's time at Villa Park.?

I just hope whoever we do buy to replace him is tall, commanding, and attacks the ball when it comes into his area.