Bitter Grapes | Page 2 | Vital Football

Bitter Grapes

Mr Coleman, your team, your tactics. You wanted to get to Wembley having never played there before. Plus a fair wad of cash on offer for winning this game. We could only put out to play whom we had!.

I get the impression that Appleton has been quite straight with the fringe players - that it's an opportunity for them and they need to keep working hard to keep getting chances (I think DC was pretty similar in that respect). Some other managers we've had in the past I think have probably told players all sorts about how they're going to be key players and then dropped them immediately. To a degree that's because the club has more to offer players now but I think they're also just better man-managers than we've had previously.

Agree with this, certainly the conversations he would appear to have had with Frecks, Shackell and Lewis (and to some extent with Grant) would indicate that you know exactly where you stand in his plans...

I find Accrington Stanley very unlikeable with Coleman in charge. He is an habitually sore loser and the conduct of his teams and his bench leaves a lot to be desired. I guess much of it comes from being a Scouser...they do like a whinge.

I find Accrington Stanley very unlikeable with Coleman in charge. He is an habitually sore loser and the conduct of his teams and his bench leaves a lot to be desired. I guess much of it comes from being a Scouser...they do like a whinge.

Nobody is a good loser unless you lose to someone 9 divisions above you and you’re just happy you played the other team a la Marine.

All change with Michael but I love an animated bench. Danny and Nicky were kings of it.

I just wondered what Coleman was moaning about to the referee after the end of the game.

Unless he does that after the end of every game of course.

Not that I am interested at all in this competition (in its current format) when did it become understood that this is a competition for the kids?

I was under the impression this was a competition for lower league teams to have a chance of winning without the top 2 divisions being in it. Obviously that element has been compromised albeit with Prem teams having to play kids but when did it become a "thing" that all teams should put out kids?

The guys a moron IF he seriously is suggesting that. He wants to win it, all lower league clubs want to win it. If he had first teamers available and he hasn't played them that's his fault and quite probably because he is saving them for the league rather than give this trophy a shot.

Shouldn't be about who is available or not. We and they are entitled to field whatever team we want.

Not that I am interested at all in this competition (in its current format) when did it become understood that this is a competition for the kids?

I was under the impression this was a competition for lower league teams to have a chance of winning without the top 2 divisions being in it. Obviously that element has been compromised albeit with Prem teams having to play kids but when did it become a "thing" that all teams should put out kids?

The guys a moron IF he seriously is suggesting that. He wants to win it, all lower league clubs want to win it. If he had first teamers available and he hasn't played them that's his fault and quite probably because he is saving them for the league rather than give this trophy a shot.

Shouldn't be about who is available or not. We and they are entitled to field whatever team we want.
Well said. The bloke has got his wires crossed somewhere.

To be completely fair to John Coleman, who always sounds like he's complaining about something, he didn't say that.

His comment was "other teams don't even fill the bench with young players". And we didn't have the full complement. However, if they were never going to get on I suppose there was no point having them there.

I did expect Roughan and/or Draper to come on in the last 10 minutes when we were 3 up though.

To be completely fair to John Coleman, who always sounds like he's complaining about something, he didn't say that.

His comment was "other teams don't even fill the bench with young players". And we didn't have the full complement. However, if they were never going to get on I suppose there was no point having them there.

I did expect Roughan and/or Draper to come on in the last 10 minutes when we were 3 up though.

Yep I expected the young lads to get a run out during the latter stages. MA really doesn't seem to like making subs unless he feels it is necessary - it wasn't just in this game he hasn't made lots, as we all know.

On a side note I'm staggered that teams like Accrington aren't playing full strength teams in the Trophy given how much cash is available.

Just think it hurt that we wholloped them. It was a free hit because of our free weekend something we suffered against ManSfail a few seasons ago, when they whollaped us literally. I find his tone a bit annoying and have since we got back in the league. Even when he has won he moans.

He looked a bit shell-shocked to be fair, probably due as much to what the score could have been, as much as to what it actually was. He should actually be grateful it wasn't double figures, and I don't think that's exaggerating.

Knowing all the real ale enthusiasts who contribute to this forum I'm surprised no one has challenged the title of this thread.

Couldn’t be bothered to listen beyond the first 30 seconds, but it was a first team game was it not? His choice to make non-enforced changes.

Have the rules been relaxed this season around the fielding of U18 type players or is there still a set criteria to meet?

Mind you, as Scotimp pointed out, they still managed to put out a side older than ours so not that much 'blooding' of youngsters going on from them!

Couldn’t be bothered to listen beyond the first 30 seconds, but it was a first team game was it not? His choice to make non-enforced changes.
Mind you, as Scotimp pointed out, they still managed to put out a side older than ours so not that much 'blooding' of youngsters going on from them!

What is going on? He doesn't actually say that.

He says he changed his team to give players who hadn't played some time on the pitch. He doesn't deny that we put shouldn't, or didn't, put out a stronger team.

He goes on to say that he also managed to bring on some players from their academy which proves they will be given opportunities.

It really is a case of people believing what they want to believe, even when some didn't even bother to listen to the three minute interview.