Bitter Grapes | Vital Football

Bitter Grapes

You're right John, it's not for you to decide what other teams do :grinning:

No but he will moan about it!

Strange man - we have small squad with a number of Covid enforced absences. We don’t have a match for a week. Big bad Lincoln not playing the under 10s and letting them through

I really don't care what Coleman has to say. He is a complete arse though. We didn't fill the bench and why should we and risk the health of our upcoming stars or maybe Covid has completely passed Coleman by or he thinks it isn't real.

I posted this in the game thread, but it seems to make sense to post part of it here too,

We have no reserve squad, under 23s or under 21s and our u18s had a game tonight (which they won against Huddersfield). We have Morton, McGrandles, Archibald (thigh strain on Friday) and Montsma out injured and Hopper, Anderson and (I think Jones) isolating with Covid. If Aaron Lewis plays he won't get a game for the rest of the season, so who the hell does he expect us to put on the bench?

If you are going to make a comment Mr Coleman, perhaps it would be best to understand the situation first.

Last edited:
The average age of our starting eleven tonight was 23 years, 6 months. No one can claim we aren't giving younger players an opportunity.

Jackson, Bridcutt and Grant were the only experienced players in there, the only ones with more than a few dozen senior appearances to their names. The fact that they are also regular first team players is worthy of note, not criticism.

It was highlighted against Charlton that Coleman has made the fewest changes to his starting eleven of any league 1 team. And they have played the fewest games. What he needs to realise is that has a knock on effect when he suddenly makes 10 changes. The players coming in are either not match fit, or not good enough.
Tonight we found out about their back up players.
on the other hand, we have had quite a few injuries and made quite a few changes over 30 games. To the point where gotts, Melbourne, howarth, Jackson can come in and not look out of place.

Poor chap. Must hurt seeing your team destroyed. Could have been seven or eight with better finishing. We shall face a stronger opponent in the league though.

I posted this in the game thread, but it seems to make sense to post part of it here too,

We have no reserve squad, under 23s or under 21s and our u18s had a game tonight (which they won against Huddersfield). We have Morton, McGrandles, Archibald (thigh strain on Friday) and Montsma out injured and Hopper, Anderson and (I think Jones) isolating with Covid. If Aaron Lewis plays he won't get a game for the rest of the season, so who the hell does he expect us to put on the bench?

If you are going to make a comment Mr Coleman, perhaps it would be best to understand the situation first.

Having posted this, I then checked my facts by listening to the interview. The one point that Mr Coleman makes, that I can have some sympathy for, is the question as to whether MA could have brought on Roughan or Draper for the last few minutes. I think he probably could, but I will defer to MA as to why that didn't happen.

Like the club, fans and Chairman. Since being back in the EFL and playing them he has been a bit of an arse whether we win/draw or lose.

An

And then went on to demonstrate he is bitter on at least two occasions. 1) Suggesting we should have put a youth team on 2) Referencing we will face a different side later in the season! We are not scared.

He said 'lets hope they see a stronger team when we play them in the league".... bit of a stretch to find that bitter.

I think Appleton is of the 'you have to earn it' school of thought rather than 'we'll give you game time just because you're young'. From the outside, you'd question whether Elbouzedi's head would drop for not playing more for example - but he looks fired up and determined to prove himself.

I think Appleton is of the 'you have to earn it' school of thought rather than 'we'll give you game time just because you're young'. From the outside, you'd question whether Elbouzedi's head would drop for not playing more for example - but he looks fired up and determined to prove himself.

I get the impression that Appleton has been quite straight with the fringe players - that it's an opportunity for them and they need to keep working hard to keep getting chances (I think DC was pretty similar in that respect). Some other managers we've had in the past I think have probably told players all sorts about how they're going to be key players and then dropped them immediately. To a degree that's because the club has more to offer players now but I think they're also just better man-managers than we've had previously.