Bit of an eye opener... | Vital Football

Bit of an eye opener...

billytwodogs

Vital Squad Member
..today, or was it?

Very very poor conditions today and game was only ever going to be decided by one goal at most.
My observations today were...
i) Bates highlighted his own naivety
ii) Rodney is better utilised as a substitute
ii) Hawkes was the wrong one to go
iii) is Donaldson really a footballer?

Matthew Bates almost all but ruled himself out of the manager’s job this afty by bolloxing everything up. Pools could have surpassed the magical points total required for NATIONAL LEAGUE survival this afternoon if it hadn’t been for the poor decision making of the man in temporary control of the clubs National league future.

He has to look at himself this evening and ask did he make the right decisions to ensure the club plays it’s football in the national league next season. Personally I don’t think he did, a little bit of experimentation took place when a degree of uncertainty still hung over our heads.

I have always fought Rodney’s corner as I think he will be a decent lower league player somewhere, but unfortunately we don’t have the personnel to get the best out of him so it won’t be here. We, at least some of us, know his best performances have been from the bench. Don’t waste the kid’s [limited] ability and don’t get the crowd on his back it demonstrates poor managerial skills.

Two minutes, maybe less, before he was hooked Hawkes put a superb ball into the box which only needed the slightest of deflections to send it goal wards. His replacement was as good as having a man sent off. Recognise what you have and don’t experiment with what you know for a farking fact is not going to work. Donaldson is poor, he was poor before and he remains poor. Hopefully cemented today.

Couple of hints from the last few [points gaining] performances, don’t tinker and has nothing been learned from the previous performances of Scott Harrison [hopefully by his recent absences] and Ryan Donaldson [fingers crossed].

Hawkes has been a revelation, I’m sure we have, or have had, more like this but we dare not use cos you we are stuck with the “you win nowt with kids” mentality.
Saying that Connor Newton looks like a new signing however he flagged after sixty minutes this afty, unsurprising after the graft he put in.

Hawkes is also able to bring out the best in Featherstone, more noticeable in the Bromley game than today.

We’ve got players who are progressing and players who are standing still, we need someone who can tell one from the other.

Still a way to go even to progress from this league.

. :132: