Birmingham v Swans | Vital Football

Birmingham v Swans

keith margam

Vital Football Legend
Birmingham v Swansea Fri 2 April 20:00 (live on Sky Sports)

League 1 Charlton’s manager Lee Bowyer resigned on 15 March and was named as struggling Birmingham’s new manager on 16 March after Aitor Karanga departed.
In the two matches since his appointment they beat Reading on 17 March at home 2-1 and lost at Watford 3-0 on 20 March, just before the International break. Bowyer will have had the last two weeks to work with his new team on the training ground. It seems we are always meeting teams with a new manager bounce, Bournemouth and Cardiff defeats being recent examples.

With nine games left for us to revive our promotion hopes there is little room for error if we are to catch up Watford, who are on a roll with 5 straight wins.

Form Guide last 6 matches:
15 Blues W2 D1 L3 F5 A10 Pts7
10 Swans W3 D1 L2 F6 A7 Pts 10

Last 6 home:
17 Blues W2 D1 L3 F6 A10 Pts 7

Last 6 away:
8 Swans W3 D1 L2 F8 A10 Pts10

New date for live coverage, was Saturday 24 April:
Sunday 25 April Reading v Swansea 12:00 (live on Sky Sports)

Sadly, another of our American loan players is to return home injured.
Paul Arriola is going back to the US for further treatment, unable to shake off a thigh injury. Here’s what he said on Twitter:
“Sometimes sports and injuries can be cruel. I am disappointed that my season has ended with Swansea. Truly gutted to not continue on this journey and get more of an opportunity to play but I leave with nothing but great memories of the football club, city, people and relationships I have made. Thanks you @Swansofficial and JackArmy. Once a Jack, Always a Jack. Until next time, Paul.”

The teams:

Birmingham City: Neil Etheridge, Maxime Colin, Kristian Pedersen, Marc Roberts, Luks Jutkiewicz, Harlee Dean (capt), Jonathan Leko, Gary Gardner, Ivan Sunjic, Alen Halilovic, Steve Seddon.
Subs: Andres Prieto, George Friend, Scott Hogan, Jeremie Bela, Sam Cosgrove, Riley McGree, Mikel San Jose, Jon Toral, Rakeem Harper.

Swansea City: Freddie Woodman, Kyle Naughton, Ryan Bennett, Marc Guehi, Connor Roberts, Matt Grimes (capt), Jay Fulton, Korey Smith, Jake Bidwell, Jamal Lowe, Andre Ayew.
Subs: Ben Hamer, Ben Cabango, Joel Latibeaudiere, Ryan Manning, Conor Hourihane, Yan Dhanda, Oli Cooper, Wayne Routledge, Morgan Whittaker.

31’ penalty for Birmingham after Roberts fouled Leko in the box.
Jutkiewicz hits it straight down the middle, Woodman doesn’t move and blocks the shot.
All Birmingham so far, Swans are still on International break.

Last edited:
HT: 0-0
Birmingham want it more than us.
We look clueless how to break them down, another borefest from the Swans.

91’ 1-0 another penalty, given away by the hopeless Dhanda this time,
their sub Hogan blasts it home against clueless Swans.
Cooper brings on Whittaker with 30 seconds remaining, no idea!!
Goodbye autos for Swansea, pathetic tonight and three straight defeats without us scoring a goal, no fight in this team and no desire.
We just as well give up and go home, the team is weak and rudderless, we looked like we were the bottom side, we were completely nullified by Birmingham.
We do not look like scoring in matches and are reluctant to bring on subs to change things. Bowyer used five subs tonight.
Birmingham hadn’t kept a clean sheet at home since last November and had the worst home record in the division.

Last edited:
Ref Tony Harrington awards another two soft penalties against us.
Remember Rotherham away a few seasons ago, we were winning 0-1, in steps Harrington and Ryan Manning puts the two dubious penalties away for them to win 2-1.

Lacklustre isn't even the word. I don't know what is but watching that it's a miracle how we're up in the top 4.

I'd be worried now us doing a Forest and falling out of the play-offs altogether. We might just hang in there but we don't look capable of a play-off push at all. There's other teams in there much more capable than us. Even Bournemouth are playing well again, barnsley too are strong and I expect Brentford will come good again.