Birmingham History Thread - then and now | Page 4 | Vital Football

Birmingham History Thread - then and now

I used to know the Fewtrells really well back in the day as I used to do a lot of business with them during my days at Ansells.

Yes I can imagine as they (mainly Eddie?) owned so many nightclubs in the city centre.

I used to love going to Rebecca's with my girlfriend Jean where we'd have a great time listening to acts like Jimmy Ruffin and dancing to Motown songs etc.

Cedar Club was also the place to be for gigs etc which I think was another Fewtrell establishment?

Dad used to be looked after by one of the Fewtrells, can't recall which, would imagine similar age to dad. Dad worked in the wholesale market, so would have looked after them.

Dad used to be looked after by one of the Fewtrells, can't recall which, would imagine similar age to dad. Dad worked in the wholesale market, so would have looked after them.

Eddie was the older one, Roger was a nasty bastard who sorted out anyone who got on the wrong side of him. I've known families though who made them look like pussycats.

Eddie was the older one, Roger was a nasty bastard who sorted out anyone who got on the wrong side of him. I've known families though who made them look like pussycats.

Remembering some of your other posts over the time on here you certainly got around mate and met lots of interesting people.

In 1969, aged just 15 my eldest brother took me to my first gig at I think was the Opposite Lock, Gas Street to see the Strawbs who was more of a folk group in those days.

I do remember for the first time in my young life, feeling so grown up sipping on my half of bitter or mild? near the stage and this video really does take me back as it was very much the same set-up and yes, that is a very young Rick Wakeman on the piano, and man, he's good.

I still play the Strawbs early stuff to this day!

Last edited:
Apparently never happened mate.

I thought that's probably the case.

Even having moved to Bournemouth I still would have heard something from some local Birmingham friends if something major happened.

It's strange how some of these so-called hard men have reputations mainly generated by friends to enhance their reputation and myths and tales grow even from real encounters that did happen.

In my experience, it's always been the quiet calculating ones you need to keep an eye on.

Last edited:
I lost all respect for Eddie when one day he threatened to squirt acid in the face of an Ansells drayman who wouldn't put the cases of bottles at one of his clubs where he ordered the drayman to put them.

I just thought it was a cowardly threat and I'm sure if the drayman hadn't thought of keeping his job he would have put Fewtrell on his arse. Instead he did the right thing and reported the incident to Ansells and his union for them to sort it out.

Enquired a few years back about Aston Hall by candlelight tours, but apparently they have now been stopped.

I remember as a young kid around 11 years when Villa Park was used for world Cup games and Aston was full of Argentina, West Germany, Spain, and Switzerland fans.

It was a magic time with the biggest funfair I've ever seen at the back of Aston Park and the image of seeing for the first time, Aston Hall all lit up by candlelight is something that has never ever left my mind.

With all the sights, smells of different foods and people having a fantastic time, it's something that would be hard to forget particularly in Aston!

Last edited:
I remember as a young kid around 11 years when Villa Park was used for world Cup games and Aston was full of Argentina, West Germany, Spain, and Switzerland fans.

It was a magic time with the biggest funfair I've ever seen at the back of Aston Park and the image of seeing for the first time, Aston Hall all lit up by candlelight is something that has never ever left my mind.
Yes TH, so do I.
Went to all those games at VP, I was 15 at the time.
Very exciting time seeing all those foreign stars and supporters on my Holte End.

I thought that's probably the case.

Even having moved to Bournemouth I still would have heard something from some local Birmingham friends if something major happened.

It's strange how some of these so-called hard men have reputations mainly generated by friends to enhance their reputation and myths and tales grow even from real encounters that did happen.

In my experience, it's always been the quiet calculating ones you need to keep an eye on.
About that time I was a regular in the Runner, Cedar Club, Elbow Room, Sloopys and Opposite Lock and never heard a word about this.
Looking back I wasted some bloody money. Lol.

I've only recently been able to come back into this thread. The pictures of C&A left me traumatised, remembering the hours of boredom in that bloody shop, whilst mom tortured my brother and me with her clothes shopping. :lol:

That was a multi generational thing then lol