Birmingham History Thread - then and now | Page 3 | Vital Football

Birmingham History Thread - then and now

First trip into the city centre in months and I have to say it’s absolutely rancid. Filthy streets and loads of smack heads walking around.

Some great shots definitely. As a more youthful member of the forum (lol) I'm recognising names and places but they look completely different to how I remember them as a kid.

For all the change in more recent years, I hadn't realised there had been so much change between 60's to 80/90's.

I enjoy these TH, thanks.

Good!

I'm glad I spent the first 20 years of my life living in Aston when I did, until 1975.

I was always going into town for the pubs, concerts, nightclubs, cinema, etc however, these days it's all changed so much and not for the better I'm sorry to say.

One of my good friends Pat was well known in the city centre and was a good friend with the Fewtrell brothers (Eddie) and former local Aston/Nechells, boxing legend Johnny Prescott so you always felt pretty safe!

A few times I went into the Bacchus bar in Burlington Arcade with Pat who was about 10 years older than me and all the guys would be drinking at the bar and I do remember feeling a bit nervous not wanting to say the wrong thing and upset anyone as we are talking about at the time, some of Birmingham's people you really wouldn't want to mess with and taking into account I was only about 18-19 years old.

Anyway, they seemed to take to me calling me "Kid" and that was good enough for me!

The old Chestnut Man at the bottom of the ramp, New Street reflects that period early 70's.....

Last edited: