Birmingham History Thread - then and now | Page 11 | Vital Football

Birmingham History Thread - then and now

Yeah, great memories and did all that for sure.

Also, I and a couple of mates saw a loose hoarding over a turnstile on Trinity Road and as it was a Sunday we climbed in without any fear or thought as 9 to 10-year kids used to do.

It must have been around 1964. The ground was so empty you could hear the clock in the centre of the Witton Lane stand ticking. As we had been playing footie in Aston Park we went onto the pitch and had a session kicking into the goal at the Holte End.

We finally realised it was wrong and risky particularly when the caretaker's house was within the grounds and the caretaker himself, Mush Callaghan was a frighting bloke so we never did it again!

I'll never forget that first thrill of being on the pitch playing football and little did I know a few years later I would be officially back on the pitch playing for Aston boys.

i new mushys son keith a great footballer , he played for the lion rangers they had a clubroom above the holt, they were a couple of years older than me and i would slag them off because they were posh. but really they were great kids all from the area and one of the best sunday teams in the uk without a doubt, i played against there reserve team and we beat them and also had a few games for the reserves but it was all about growing up and getting a bit of sense, keith entered a competition of who could kick the ball the hardest at the imi david herd of man utd won and keith came third, seanie

i new mushys son keith a great footballer , he played for the lion rangers they had a clubroom above the holt, they were a couple of years older than me and i would slag them off because they were posh. but really they were great kids all from the area and one of the best sunday teams in the uk without a doubt, i played against there reserve team and we beat them and also had a few games for the reserves but it was all about growing up and getting a bit of sense, keith entered a competition of who could kick the ball the hardest at the imi david herd of man utd won and keith came third, seanie
Was that back in the day when Barry used to run Lions Rangers.
I went along to try out for Lion, but was only sixteen at the time, and physically not developed enough, they were a very good side.
Played against them for Slade Celtic a few times some years later.
Both teams ran from The Red Lion in Erdington by then.
Great old boozer, ran by Colin McCormick and his wife Glo, hardly ever closed before two o'clock any night of the week.

Was that back in the day when Barry used to run Lions Rangers.
I went along to try out for Lion, but was only sixteen at the time, and physically not developed enough, they were a very good side.
Played against them for Slade Celtic a few times some years later.
Both teams ran from The Red Lion in Erdington by then.
Great old boozer, ran by Colin McCormick and his wife Glo, hardly ever closed before two o'clock any night of the week.

spot on,, colin and family then the mcanns, great times, even went in to the florida at the back romancing, best of all though, martin Crowther the butcher by freds cafe started a team from the florida and we won the league with all the old uns from the holt, somebody said if win our last 7 games we will win the league and we did, needless to say i scored 13 from midfield, in my mid 30s, great days, seanie