Birmingham City. | Vital Football

Birmingham City.

Wow, can you imagine that... Birmingham vs the Imps in league action....

That hasn’t happened since the 1950's!

That would be a nightmare for me! My other half is from Birmingham and she is a lifelong Blues fan!

She used to go regularly to matches before she moved out of the city and up here and still goes when she gets the chance.

I have a great mate who is a Bluenose over here in Australia and I’d absolutely love it. Highly doubt even if they do suffer the deduction that they’d end up in the relegation spots. But it’s a pretty cool thought nonetheless!

Wow, can you imagine that... Birmingham vs the Imps in league action....

That hasn’t happened since the 1950's!

1955 to be exact, when the Imps drew 3-3 at Birmingham. They have met twice since in the FA Cup (1969, lost 2-1) and League Cup (2004, lost 3-1). If they do meet next year, then it will be the occasion when you can pull one of those great meaningless stats out of the bag… "Lincoln haven't beaten Birmingham in 108 years…" Last beat the Blues 1-0 in 1911.

1955 to be exact, when the Imps drew 3-3 at Birmingham. They have met twice since in the FA Cup (1969, lost 2-1) and League Cup (2004, lost 3-1). If they do meet next year, then it will be the occasion when you can pull one of those great meaningless stats out of the bag… "Lincoln haven't beaten Birmingham in 108 years…" Last beat the Blues 1-0 in 1911.
Didn't we play them in the Sherpa Van/Leyland Daf/Other Commercial Vehicle Trophy as well? Lost at St Andrews in front of no fans.

Looks like a fudge by the league to me. If they really wanted to punish Birmingham they wouldn't be applying the points now which in all probability gives them enough room to manoeuvre bearing in mind their squad has been mid table standard all season. It would have been much better if the punishment was applied in the same manner as for clubs going into admin. i.e. don't apply it unless it is going to definitely relegate them or seriously hamper their start to the next season. In these circumstances it would have been nice to have seen it applied at the end of the season once their points tally was confirmed.

"In January, Birmingham revealed a £37.5m loss in the 12 months to the end of June 2018, largely a result of their wage bill rising from £22m to almost £38m after an extensive recruitment drive in the summer of 2017."
thanks to H Rednapp.

Didn’t Blackburn just reveal a yearly loss of around 16.8 million ? The cost of trying to get to the big bucks in the Premier League.

Looks like a fudge by the league to me. If they really wanted to punish Birmingham they wouldn't be applying the points now which in all probability gives them enough room to manoeuvre bearing in mind their squad has been mid table standard all season. It would have been much better if the punishment was applied in the same manner as for clubs going into admin. i.e. don't apply it unless it is going to definitely relegate them or seriously hamper their start to the next season. In these circumstances it would have been nice to have seen it applied at the end of the season once their points tally was confirmed.

The EFL rules actually stipulate that if such a deduction is imposed by the fourth Thursday in March i.e next Thursday the deduction must be immediately enforced. It is only if any deduction is imposed after that date when it can be taken either in this season or the next so basically the EFL are just following their set rules. This is also something which the EFL have been investigating for months so to delay it beyond next Thursday would have led to legal appeals

If Birmingham are relegated because of this, and like others I think it's been timed to hope they won't be, I foresee a legal challenge. The whole of the League's FFP rules are farcical, I mean why is it 9 points anyway? Is it only 3/4 of a breach?

A far better way to practice FFP is to do what they do in Spain now, and have the League approve a budget for the following season. When you issue contracts in excess of your pre-approved budget for players - no more player registrations.

It saves all this points docking nonsense. Oh, and go into administration and it's a forced demotion, playing record expunged.

Pity a few more were not docked points as well. All paying over the odds for players they can’t afford. Gaining an unfair, criminal advantage over their competitors.
When it does go tits up. It’s always the little man who loses out financially.

Interesting and they play 3 of the top 4 in their next 3 games so they could be very close to the relegation zone after those 3 games.

There are too many clubs gambling on promotion to The Prem.. The whole model is rotten to the core (see the Accrington Chairman and Scotimp's previous articles on this). A few bigger name clubs need to 'crash and burn', re-starting in tier 9 or whoever will have them before anybody running football would even begin looking at the problems they create and support for the greed of themselves and the privileged few. Bolton Wanderers would be a good start.

League 1 next season might have a strange initial look about it. Bolton are likely to be coming down and with their finances could easily begin on a minus number. Coventry are in a bit of a mess and might be homeless so it's anyones guess how that will play out. It could be that we'll have a points head start on some come August