Billy off to Dale! | Vital Football

Billy off to Dale!

kettrin imp

Vital Reserves Team
What do we think of Billy Knott going to Rochdale on loan for the rest of the season. Not shown enough for me this season i'm afraid.

Unlikely he'll return I would imagine, but stranger things have happened. Never really settled here.

He obviously has it in him, but didn't show it here. Perhaps not really fully recovered mentally from his injury?

Don't think our style really suited him. One of the best passers in the squad and undoubted skill but not a battler which you need when you play our pressing game. Hope it works out for him.

I also don't think he's fit enough to get around the pitch. Bit too much of a luxury player and not one I would be signing for a relegation scrap. Nice lad though and hope he proves me wrong.

Wish him well. But never fitted into our system some obvious talent there but disappeared to often when given a start in games. Looks like Danny is living up to his word of only keeping and bringing players in who can improve the team he has realised that Billy isn't going to do that.

Good luck to you Billy, clearly our system wasn't suited to his skills. I'm not really sure where he should play to get the best out of him - but maybe Rochdale will help him find it.

Billy had a few excellent games. But the large majority of performances were ok, average, or not at all good enough.
I do think he tried dammed hard for us though so wish him all the best for the future.

Went missing in too many games

Not a winger and not a CM

Needs to play in a 3-4-3 or 3-5-2

Needs to watch a DVDs of Terry Hawkridge

His time here went as expected. Just didn't fit into our formation or style. Not through lack of effort - you could see he wanted it to work out here but sometimes you just have to accept that it isn't happening or going to happen.

He either needed to be in a 3 in midfield, which we don't play or as a number 10, but he's up against a completely different player in Rhead and playing Knott in there would have to see a complete shift in style.

We tried to get him in the side as a left winger, which, despite him working hard and putting a shift in, never looked the answer (and is seems we've had lots of players on the left wing this season!).

Good luck to him playing on that pitch, mind. If you were to pick a pitch that would be the least suited to Knott, it'd be that one.

Don't think we'll be seeing him again.

I can't remember him imposing himself on any game other than his game winning goal against Bromley when he came on as sub. Bet he looks great in a 5 aside training session with no tackling but weak and lightweight in the hurly burly of league 2. Fair chance he will drift into lower league obscurity in national south or the like.

Because he was usually on the verge of the first team, he always looked like he was trying too hard to impress on the pitch, which tended to put him in 'headless chicken' mode. But good luck to him - it was great to see him in with the fans at Grimsby.

Tomb Raider - 12/1/2018 08:02

Because he was usually on the verge of the first team, he always looked like he was trying too hard to impress on the pitch, which tended to put him in 'headless chicken' mode. But good luck to him - it was great to see him in with the fans at Grimsby.

I wondered that as well - you can try so hard that you fail to do what you are really good at.

Played for England up to U20 level and was on the books of two Premier League clubs including Chelsea, so had great promise at one time.

For what it's worth, I think he will have a problem fitting into most teams. He clearly has good ball skills and looks confident on the ball, but he does very little with it. The end product to all that skill is almost nothing, and that is strange.