Billericay bound? | Vital Football

Billericay bound?

Why would they sign list. Have they seen something we haven't ? They seem to like the "name" signing. Wagstaff and Martin maybe but why list ?

List has been here for 2 or is it 3 seasons. Surely that's long enough to show whether or not he can break into a lower league one team. Has he ever suggested that he can ?

Looks out of his depth to me. Might need to drop to non league and come back stronger.

List is a winger who has primarily been used as a forward down the middle. He isn't going to improve his crossing side of his game if he is only picked to close down the opposition or chase balls over the top.

List is the type of player that needs to play with a midfield that plays it on the ground. The hump ball that our lot play is no use to players such as List. A change of style could make him a better prospect.

List has never had a decent run in the side - the odd game here and there and has mainly been on the bench. When he comes on as a sub as has been pointed out he is not used as a winger/wide player which is apparently his trait. It is difficult to form an opinion of his true abilities but for me he does net get involved enough. On that basis I suspect he will be on his way shortly.

For a player/winger such as List to flourish he needs the ball played into the space so he is running on to the ball, aerial balls or one's played behind him are pointless.

He's been here 3 years. If he hasn't managed to establish himself in the team at any point under various managers in that time, that says enough for me.

He's made 26 appearances in 3 years. He'll be 21 in a couple of weeks. He doesn't look like he knows what hes trying to do when he gets the ball and has even less idea when he doesn't have the ball.

Not good enough from what I've seen of him.

Comparable to Matty Jarvis. Not sure how old Matty was when he established himself in the first team but we played 4-4-2 then. More difficult for a winger in a 3-5-2 as he's expected to defend well. Jarvis couldn't (he would try "enthusiastically" at times...) and neither can List.

Matt Jarvis left us at 21 in the June of 2007. Jarvis made his debut for us at 17 and by the time he left at 21 he'd made 110 appearances scoring 12 goals.

List, who at 21 has made 26 appearances in the last 3 seasons, hasn't scored.

So List and Jarvis are not comparable in the slightest.

Last edited:
List is infuriating. He refuses to use his best attribute - pace. I always think he takes far too many touches and slows things down when he needs to play a far more direct game when he has the ball at his feet.

He looks way short of a league one player to me.

Any sub worth his sorts must take the game by the scruff of the neck and make an impact.

Johnny Hodge , anyone ????

Even when Hodge came on late he was a game changer. List had a fair amount of possession at Oldham but was totally ineffective against very poor opposition. He was not alone but he had a chance particularly as he came on long before his usual 5 minutes before the end of the game.

Unfair to use Jarvis as a benchmark for anyone as he always looked destined for the top and was a special talent. Ditto for comparing anyone with Däck.

Comparison with Hodge also limited. Hodge was around 30 years old and experienced and was always put on the wing. List is young, inexperienced and spends most of his time being put on down the middle.

List may have the talent to become a good league one winger but Gillingham haven't played wingers on the wing for the last 3-4 managers so won't develop to the player he could be here.

It's always difficult to judge young players from substitute appearances. In a successful team they can be brought on for 20 minutes after a game is virtually won and so it's easier to make a mark. List has been brought on as a last throw of the dice more often than not in a side that has struggled going forward. I don't make massive claims for him but I see more potential than some other posters. He has genuine pace, which is the gold standard, when he applies it intelligently he is effective.

I note that fans judge some players more harshly than others and it strikes me that List gets a harder ride than Nash. Nash came with a single season's form of impressive goalscoring at Maldon & Tiptree in Isthmian League North. He was already older than List is now at the start of that season and has shown little to suggest that he could produce that form at a higher level.

Last edited: