Big Steve | Page 5 | Vital Football

Big Steve

You obviously been a Gills supporter for very long as if you knew about him and was warned off of appointing him by 3 or 4 of his previous clubs wasn't he banned from the touchline for 4 games and didn't he misbehave with Paul Lambert for 90 minutes or was that Lambert's fault..

He's a controversial character for sure but employing "Gillingham legends" as managers hasn't gone well recently. We've employed two controversial managers in the last decade Allen and Evans. Hopefully Evans will have similar success to Allen and not Lovell and Pennock.

Whatever people think for Evans as a character its hard to argue we are not fitter, better organised and getting better results. Priestfield has been full of happy, smiling faces this season compared to the down beat despondency of yet another home defeat that we've had for the last few seasons.

We've got someone with contacts in the game and hopefully that will pay dividends in terms of some decent loans to compliment those we have. A few more Alfie Jones / Tom O'Connor or a few more Rhys Murphys and Billy Kings ?

To answer I started watching Gillingham in the early 80's and my experience tells me fully embrace the better seasons as they are few and far between. I also suspect the Lambert thing was a 50/50 JV between two overly passionate scotsman, both probably equally to blame.

Because I am a season ticket holder in the Rainham End so it gives me the chance to go.I don't like West Spam and I would have gone to the game if we were playing Millscum or Swine...Even if we are in the play off places I won't go.I will renew my season ticket but I won't return until he has been sacked... You obviously have forgiven him but I haven't and I want the Gills to win or draw or lose or draw and going to any games costs a bit but to go and say notfor 90

Mate that makes absolutely no sense at all.

"I will renew my season ticket but I won't go"

" I would have gone if we were playing Millwall or Swindon" but I don't go ?

It doesn't make sense - is your protest league games only ?

You are entitled to do what you want but if your not going to use it save your self the cost of the ST.

Don't cut your nose off to spite your face though. WE don't have good seasons that often need to enjoy them while we can !

You obviously been a Gills supporter for very long as if you knew about him and was warned off of appointing him by 3 or 4 of his previous clubs wasn't he banned from the touchline for 4 games and didn't he misbehave with Paul Lambert for 90 minutes or was that Lambert's fault..

i heard that a lot of what went on that day was Lambert and his cronies doing his best to wind Evans up. A lot of opposition managers know Evans has white-line fever and is an easy target. He has to live with that.

Anyway, enjoy the game today mate. Just watch and support your team, nowt else. Here’s to a great result.

And take care 👍

But anyone apart from him would have been better as we have got a nice ground and healthy league 1 support...He was in the stands last season watching ...If Scally would have given Mems money to Steve Lovell we would have improved but he had nothing since he took over from Peter Taylor

Mate that makes absolutely no sense at all.

"I will renew my season ticket but I won't go"

" I would have gone if we were playing Millwall or Swindon" but I don't go ?

It doesn't make sense - is your protest league games only ?

You are entitled to do what you want but if your not going to use it save your self the cost of the ST.

Don't cut your nose off to spite your face though. WE don't have good seasons that often need to enjoy them while we can !

That's easy to answer,I have always had a season ticket for 40 years and it's always been affordable to me so and my mates know why I am not there as I told them at the Burton game that it was because we the most despised manager in football and we could have got a different type of manager to him.Someone we like and I would put Fatty Evans behind Colin

we
I despise the Fat Scottish Bastard and I always will also my Late Dad would feel the same.I have been a season ticket holder in the Rainhan End for over 40 years and when he was appointed before the season I knew that I would just behave the same.I went to the Burton game and I haven't been back since until today and I was happy we struggled for a while as I said to my mates I would rather see us lose every week and Scally would sack him.I didn't sing or flap the team which is a for me in supporting my team... Thankfully I know he's been poison to alot of clubs like Boston and he exposed himself to a young female Crawley Town reporter and he was sacked by Peterborough for racism and bullying of the first team.

are there any links to articles re the sacking from Peterborough?

Medway I understand and have come from a similar position. As I said it appears Steve Evans now believes he has made mistakes at previous clubs.I do think he is making a effort. That doesn't mean we need to forget everything he has done in the past.Or indeed take our guard down.But given the effort he is putting in to changing I think we should encourage that.Do what you feel is right for sure but if you have a ticket already use it and judge at the end of the season weather the effort is enough. Thus far his behaviour has been in the area I would expect from Andy Hessenthaler.Off the touch line I have heard it has been of a very high standard including to officials I understand.

Lol,So he wasn't banned for our opening 4 games and he didn't have an argument with the Ipswich manager for 80 minutes.He nearly put another football team out of business.He was sacked by Peterborough for racism to a player and he was a bully to same football team

Google his sacking by the Peterborough United chairman at the time.Maybe you should just Google him yourself... They were 7th when they sacked him last season and they appointed Ferguson again

Last edited:
Google his sacking by the Peterborough United chairman at the time.Maybe you should just Google him yourself... They were 7th when they sacked him last season and they appointed Ferguson again

perhaps you should learn how to use google yourself. They were sixth when he was sacked and there is nothing anywhere about any racism except in your tiny mind.

I put Evans broadly on a par with Pulis as a person and real/alleged dodgy dealings. Pulis tried to dick over our club (Evans hasn't, or certainly hasn't yet). Major rumoirs about dodgy/dishonest dealings at otger clubs. However, Pulis is regarded as a legend and Evans still despised by some.

My point is, I wonder if you, MB, would turn up if Pulis as manager again (obviously won't happen with Scally). Just a theoretical question.

Ps I'm not an Evans "lover", he was manager at Boston when my brother happened to be a ST holder there, so I'm well aware of his antecedents.

For myself I can understand people's reticence but I happen to support the team regardless of the manager/owner.

If you were a Chelsea fan would you have boycotted the club because of Abramovich's alleged dodgy money?

I believe he has learned a lot since leaving Peterborough. Winning football matches is only part of a managers job.A look back at our past managers shows that if we were to do a poll of favourites say top ten.It would not be in result order .For example Sir Keith would probably come above Taylor even though it could be argued that Taylor achieved more. Stimson would be below many who have done worse as our manager.

I put Evans broadly on a par with Pulis as a person and real/alleged dodgy dealings. Pulis tried to dick over our club (Evans hasn't, or certainly hasn't yet). Major rumoirs about dodgy/dishonest dealings at otger clubs. However, Pulis is regarded as a legend and Evans still despised by some.

My point is, I wonder if you, MB, would turn up if Pulis as manager again (obviously won't happen with Scally). Just a theoretical question.

Ps I'm not an Evans "lover", he was manager at Boston when my brother happened to be a ST holder there, so I'm well aware of his antecedents.

For myself I can understand people's reticence but I happen to support the team regardless of the manager/owner.

If you were a Chelsea fan would you have boycotted the club because of Abramovich's alleged dodgy money?

Pulis got found out by Pulis in 1999 and Bristol city about being a conman who wanted to
have wasn't his and that's why Paul Scally won in the High Court and Bristol City also

Life’s too short, people in all walks of life have regrets and it is entirely possible for people to change. What exactly is it that people hate about him?