Big Steve | Page 4 | Vital Football

Big Steve

I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make. The quote doesn’t quite match the headline. “Even if I took Gillingham to the premier league, some league 1 fans wouldn’t want me.“ , I.e, however successful I have been with one league 1 club, fans at other league 1 clubs wouldn’t want me. Probably right but foolish on their part I reckon.

what makes you think Gilles was trying to make some kind of point???

I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make. The quote doesn’t quite match the headline. “Even if I took Gillingham to the premier league, some league 1 fans wouldn’t want me.“ , I.e, however successful I have been with one league 1 club, fans at other league 1 clubs wouldn’t want me. Probably right but foolish on their part I reckon.

..... that is the newspaper headline ! (I just copied & pasted !?!)....

we
what makes you think Gilles was g. trying to make somes kind of point???
I despise the Fat Scottish Bastard and I always will also my Late Dad would feel the same.I have been a season ticket holder in the Rainhan End for over 40 years and when he was appointed before the season I knew that I would just behave the same.I went to the Burton game and I haven't been back since until today and I was happy we struggled for a while as I said to my mates I would rather see us lose every week and Scally would sack him.I didn't sing or flap the team which is a for me in supporting my team... Thankfully I know he's been poison to alot of clubs like Boston and he exposed himself to a young female Crawley Town reporter and he was sacked by Peterborough for racism and bullying of the first team.

Last edited:
Yes Bazza to support my team and I don't like West Spam.I paid £30 for the ticket and i am a BT Sport Subscriber so I could watch it at home.And I had paid my Early Bird price of £300 to pack Priest field and then he was appointed 2 weeks later and appointing him ruined my season.

Last edited:
Maybe your a fan but most of Gills fans have had issues with him since he nearly put Boston out of business and he accepted the charges and was banned for 4 years

If he knows he is that unpopular it is up to him to make sure the improvement we have seen is maintained.He appears to have regrets about his unpopularity.I genuinely think he is making a effort that should be respected.Part of the problem though is he is working with a unpopular chairman. So I am not sure his public image will change quickly. That is why he needs to consistently maintain better behaviour over a much longer period. If that is with Gillingham and Scally still puts his foot in it regularly I believe Evans job is even harder and it will take a very long time.

Yes Bazza to support my team and I don't like West Spam.I paid £30 for the ticket and i am a BT Sport Subscriber so I could watch it at home.And I had paid my Early Bird price of £300 to pack Priest field and then he was appointed 2 weeks later and appointing him ruined my season.

Medwayblue - its your decision and no one has any right to criticise you for staying away (although not sure why you are going today if your reason is that SE is manager) BUT you are missing out on the best Gillingham team we have had for ages. They show fight for the shirt, play decent football at times, are well organised and are moving in the right direction for the first time in years.

I can understand people not liking SE historical past but to not to acknowledge that he is the best manager we have had for a long, long time is a bit strange.

I think he is exactly what we need. Little gillingham have been soft for a few years now. Evans and co are giving us that toughness back. We need it.

we
I despise the Fat Scottish Bastard and I always will also my Late Dad would feel the same.I have been a season ticket holder in the Rainhan End for over 40 years and when he was appointed before the season I knew that I would just behave the same.I went to the Burton game and I haven't been back since until today and I was happy we struggled for a while as I said to my mates I would rather see us lose every week and Scally would sack him.I didn't sing or flap the team which is a for me in supporting my team... Thankfully I know he's been poison to alot of clubs like Boston and he exposed himself to a young female Crawley Town reporter and he was sacked by Peterborough for racism and bullying of the first team.

Nothing like a bit of libel to kick of FA Cup Third Round Day!

If a someone up you street behaviour is poor do you then forget about that if he has a few days when he appears to be making a effort to mend his ways.No it takes a long time generally for a lot of people to receive that effort and believe it is for real.

He sacked our legend in Steve Lovell and put him in charge and there would have been a lot of managers we could enjoy and sing about because that is why we are proud of the manager and our players, past and present.

If a someone up you street behaviour is poor do you then forget about that if he has a few days when he appears to be making a effort to mend his ways.No it takes a long time generally for a lot of people to receive that effort and believe it is for real.

I am going to use your analogy Chris but make it more accurate.

If someone new to you street had a reputation for poor behaviour where he lived before, but had behaved well since moving to your street and infact had significantly improved your street, do you cut him some slack and judge him on current form only ?

I am genuinely impressed with SE, not just in the improvement on the pitch but in the way he talks post match and his engagement with the fans.

He reminds me of Mad Dog and thats the best compliment I can give.

I'd gladly go out for a pint with Steve Evans. I reckon he would be great company.

Because I am a season ticket holder in the Rainham End so it gives me the chance to go.I don't like West Spam and I would have gone to the game if we were playing Millscum or Swine...Even if we are in the play off places I won't go.I will renew my season ticket but I won't return until he has been sacked... You obviously have forgiven him but I haven't and I want the Gills to win or draw or lose or draw and going to any games costs a bit but to go and say notfor 90

If someone new to you street had a reputation for poor behaviour where he lived before, but had behaved well since moving to your street and infact had significantly improved your street, do you cut him some slack and judge him on current form only ?

I am genuinely impressed with SE, not just in the improvement on the pitch but in the way he talks post match and his engagement with the fans.

I'd gladly go out for a pint with Steve Evans. I reckon he would be great company.
Fair enough but I still think it will take some time.It is not like he has only been misbehaving for a couple of years. He might finally have realised he has damaged his own career with his past behaviour. If he has genuinely changed as I said that should be applauded. But he needs to do it over years not sure about few weeks or months will change opinions up and down the country. As hard as that sounds. I have said I am warming to the guy .I do believe he is making a effort.

I haven't been back since until today and I was happy we struggled for a while as I said to my mates I would rather see us lose every week and Scally would sack him.I didn't sing or flap the team which is a for me in supporting my team... Thankfully I know he's been poison to alot of clubs like Boston and he exposed himself to a young female Crawley Town reporter and he was sacked by Peterborough for racism and bullying of the first team.

How sad, I go to support the team not the manager, you might want the team to lose but I hope we are very successful.

You obviously been a Gills supporter for very long as if you knew about him and was warned off of appointing him by 3 or 4 of his previous clubs wasn't he banned from the touchline for 4 games and didn't he misbehave with Paul Lambert for 90 minutes or was that Lambert's fault..

In terms of damaging his career then I think its overblown. He has managed at clubs like Leeds and won promotions at most club he had been to. If you compare his record to the likes of Lovell, Pennock etc. then its fair to say we've gone up a level in this managerial appointment.

The things that most people bring up occurred years ago :

Boston - 2005
Bradford City Incident - 2012

Since then he's had a few touchline bans for going in two strong (verbally) with the officials. Is that any different to the like of Fergusson when he was managing.

I'd sooner have a bit of passion than the general acceptance of defeat that we have had in recent years.

He will only last two years max but those two years will be better than the last few in my view. That'll do for me. I think we should enjoy the ride while it lasts.