Big Steve | Vital Football

Big Steve

7 straight home wins in all competitions. Should have won at Ipswich, finished stronger at Fleetwood. I think we have lost only 1 in 10 games.
It was like a siege on Rochdale's goal for the last 1/2 hour. Long may this continue. Roll on Wednesday, another 3 points against Pompey please.

My friend, who was very unhappy at the appointment of Steve Evans, has had to admit that he is actually doing rather well.

I noticed that at the end of the game yesterday it was the RE doing the “build up” to get Steve to do the 3 cheers thing. And his name being sung pretty loud again.

He appears to be quite like Mad Dog in his crowd interactions. Love it.

At other clubs I agree but has he done anything obnoxious this season ?

He's been an obnoxious twat at other clubs for years, he's been here 6 months and managed to behave himself. His charm offensive and PR have been pretty good and as you say he's not done anything to warrant criticism here so far, but its still early days.

Obviously winning games makes him more likeable for many but to his credit he has got us organised, hard to beat and playing some good stuff at times and picking up results in the process.

Let's hope it all continues

Last edited:
The fact that Evans has to a large part stayed out of trouble makes me wonder if the whole thing is a act .Scally is said to have asked him to behave if he was who he previously portrayed then he would have got himself into trouble by now almost certainly. I still don't trust him I am afraid .But if I could 100% trust our beloved Chairman then I think I would be starting to warm to our Scottish friend.Saying that I still think he will leave us no better off than the day he arrived.

The fact that Evans has to a large part stayed out of trouble makes me wonder if the whole thing is a act ..

An act he has kept up for 17 years

Anyways, I am glad you have reneged on your vow not to attend matches whilst he was in charge. Why cut off your nose to spite your face!

.Saying that I still think he will leave us no better off than the day he arrived.

I find that an incredible statement. We are already much better than we were under Lovell, Pennock etc. etc. We look fit and strong, no doubt because Evans ensure our fitness and recovery regime via Jamie Russell and his team is a priority.

We are much better at home and actually look like we are moving forward for the first time in years.

People might not like Evans but jeez give him the credit for turning us into a proper Gillingham team again.

Best get rid and get a gills legend back. We don't want any of that success malarkey at this club ;););)
Yeah, Ade with Hess as coach and Trigger to innacurately practice headers pre match (as at Sarfend a few years back). Oh, and Taylor for some more of that gung ho attacking flair.

I find that an incredible statement. We are already much better than we were under Lovell, Pennock etc. etc. We look fit and strong, no doubt because Evans ensure our fitness and recovery regime via Jamie Russell and his team is a priority.

We are much better at home and actually look like we are moving forward for the first time in years.

People might not like Evans but jeez give him the credit for turning us into a proper Gillingham team again.
If we are still in league one we are no better off especially if unlike some other managers he leaves us with very few players of any use to take forward. Part of the reason for our successes this season was players signed by previous managers. Without them where would we be?Evans permanent signings thus far generally have not been good enough.

If we are still in league one we are no better off especially if unlike some other managers he leaves us with very few players of any use to take forward. Part of the reason for our successes this season was players signed by previous managers. Without them where would we be?Evans permanent signings thus far generally have not been good enough.

Sorry Chris I can't agree. If we push for, but fail to reach the playoffs this season then we are still miles better than last season. The games at home are much more enjoyable than the last few years.

As for players he leaves behind well tucker decided not to join a championship club but be part of Steve Evans squad so I think the players actually rate him.

His contacts in the game are far wider than Lovell or Pennock given their experience as managers were limited to the Kent non league circuit.

Could Lovell have attrached the Like of Alfie Jones / Tom O'Connor from saints ? Its rhetorical as we could never know but you have to accept Evans has more contacts in the game than Pennock of Lovell.

It will end in tears at some point but I cannot see us being no better off.

If we keep winning at home we might even attract some of the stay away fans back.

I think you are a bit harsh on Steve Evans. He's made it fun to be at Gillingham again. That'll do for me