Big Sammy Ameobi | Vital Football

Big Sammy Ameobi

NQ's Finest

Vital Squad Member
Shout out for the big man and his cracking goal yesterday. I know he can be frustrating at times with his decision making and final product but I reckon it’s about time he enjoyed the plaudits he largely deserves. By all accounts a great character in the dressing room, always puts in a shift and his unorthodox abilities must be a nightmare to play against. He’s earned another year for me irrespective of if we go up.

He can be a really good outlet when we're under pressure. it's his consistent inconsistency / unpredictability that add to his value if he;s not sure what he's going to do can be sure the opposition don't know. In my opinion he's become an important cog in the machine at both ends of the pitch very much undervalued. Whether he's good enough to make the step up to prem I don't know but lets not get ahead of ourselves remember it's one game at a time

Sky blamed the keeper, but he was probably expecting a low cross for Grabban like the rest of us.

Ameobi went for a narrow gap at the near post and swerved the shot away from the keeper to find that gap. Plenty of power too. Genius.

If he keeps it up he could have ten goals by the end of the season.

Generally, he's dreadful. Good game yesterday though so lets congratulate him on that

Before Ameobi’s goal he was on the right. Cash was being a bit left open with Leeds left wing, midfield and left back threatening. They were overloading the right, their left. Unsure if Lamouchi swapped Silva and Ameobi to give Cash more protection but big Sami almost immediately scores and Cash gets far more protection for the remainder of half.

interesting that in the fourth quarter Forest were happy to leave 1 on 1 down cash wing and Sow covering. It was almost you have it and we let you cross. We stop you as soon as you try to run in to the box.

unsure if the swap was to strengthen defence or give Sami a run at their back. It worked on both counts.

interesting that in the fourth quarter Forest were happy to leave 1 on 1 down cash wing and Sow covering. It was almost you have it and we let you cross. We stop you as soon as you try to run in to the box.

Reminds me of DF's tactics. Didn't we beat Bournemouth here 1-0 when they went up? You winced at the number of crosses we let them get in, but we dealt with all of them.

Only jukewitz caused us issues when the balls been thrown in, he's a bit of beast in the air though. Brentford threw loads in and we just dealt with it with ease, Leeds did nothing but pass the ball out for a throw in over and over.

Before Ameobi’s goal he was on the right. Cash was being a bit left open with Leeds left wing, midfield and left back threatening. They were overloading the right, their left. Unsure if Lamouchi swapped Silva and Ameobi to give Cash more protection but big Sami almost immediately scores and Cash gets far more protection for the remainder of half.

unsure if the swap was to strengthen defence or give Sami a run at their back. It worked on both counts.

Impossible to say without hearing the player's instructions but a big part of modern tactics regards the full-backs and wingers is 'cat and mouse' play, specifically leaving your full-back exposed to encourage the oppositon onto you. I think this is wht Cash was left to fend for himself at times.

I see this occasionally with this Forest side and I'm of the opinion it is a tactic to help us hit teams on the break. Lamouchi is very bold he clearly invites teams onto us even when we're winning.

This team has a great knack of knowing when and how to pull teams onto us. We've not come unstuck like this very often.

Is it sustainable at a higher level? Hopefully we'll find out.

But there is a lot of well thought out, advanced tactics involved - it gets on my nerves when outsiders just look at our possession, shots and xG stats and say we aren't performing well enough to challenge the top two. We are performing very well.

Ameobi is having a good season, it's well harsh to say he's ever 'dreadful' he's just not got certain skills you would imagine a player in his position has.

He is inconsistant regards his technique, but he more than makes up for it with his physical attributes and intelligence. He does come out with the occasional brillaint piece of wingplay and scores goals, but his main benefit is helping our possession stick when we break forward.

Personally I think he would be just as good at this at a higher level - Premier League full-backs are better defenders but they will still be outmached physically, and when he gets his technique right it is easily good enough for the higher level. He'd still be inconsistant, but in this system I think he'd offer the same. Ameobi is all about the 'duels' against other players, and they just won't relish playing against him.

I admit that I am very sentimental, however if we go up I think he deserves a chance based on what he does. They all do their role in this system very well.

Would I play Ameobi in a team geared towards building possession? No way, but that's not how we play. It's all about the system and conditons at the club. He is a good fit.

Yes, even Sow was standing off and showing his player down Cash's flank at times so it was a clear tactic. Love the confidence we are showing in the keeper and centre backs to deal with any crosses and the speed we can spring the counter attack as we regain possession. I honestly don't remember a time when the central defensive 5 ( keeper, CB's and DM's ) have been such a solid, tight unit

Impossible to say without hearing the player's instructions but a big part of modern tactics regards the full-backs and wingers is 'cat and mouse' play, specifically leaving your full-back exposed to encourage the oppositon onto you. I think this is wht Cash was left to fend for himself at times.

I see this occasionally with this Forest side and I'm of the opinion it is a tactic to help us hit teams on the break. Lamouchi is very bold he clearly invites teams onto us even when we're winning.

This team has a great knack of knowing when and how to pull teams onto us. We've not come unstuck like this very often.

Is it sustainable at a higher level? Hopefully we'll find out.

But there is a lot of well thought out, advanced tactics involved - it gets on my nerves when outsiders just look at our possession, shots and xG stats and say we aren't performing well enough to challenge the top two. We are performing very well.

You'll notice our wingers tuck in slightly at times when the opposition are in possession to allow the opponents to funnel the ball out wide. We're very comfortable with balls into the box and so we're happy to leave our fullbacks a touch isolated. Watson and Sow only very occasionally head towards the touchline.

It also encourages their fullback to slightly overextend at times, leaving Ameobi or Lolley in space which in turn gives us two options. A direct ball into Ameobi (or Grabban) or we work it to Lolley to run with the ball and especially with Cash's physical gifts he can generally get up the pitch quicker than his opposite number meaning we can flip the overload but with the opposition out of position.

Drunk explanation that makes sense in my head...

You'll notice our wingers tuck in slightly at times when the opposition are in possession to allow the opponents to funnel the ball out wide. We're very comfortable with balls into the box and so we're happy to leave our fullbacks a touch isolated. Watson and Sow only very occasionally head towards the touchline.

It also encourages their fullback to slightly overextend at times, leaving Ameobi or Lolley in space which in turn gives us two options. A direct ball into Ameobi (or Grabban) or we work it to Lolley to run with the ball and especially with Cash's physical gifts he can generally get up the pitch quicker than his opposite number meaning we can flip the overload but with the opposition out of position.

Drunk explanation that makes sense in my head...
explanations made in that state are invariably the best

Think we all agree that Forest have a tactic of leaving our fullbacks slightly isolated. As CP says (even under the influence) our wingers tucked in more. This in turn meant the trademark move of Watson dropping between the CB’s and releasing a long pass wide to fullbacks or wingers was not evident as Forest were much narrower. Be interesting to see v Charlton do we play narrow or wide.

Sky blamed the keeper, but he was probably expecting a low cross for Grabban like the rest of us.

Ameobi went for a narrow gap at the near post and swerved the shot away from the keeper to find that gap. Plenty of power too. Genius.

If he keeps it up he could have ten goals by the end of the season.
Yeah I thought their goalie was a bit of a scapegoat with their fans,looking at the media since, as it did swerve and was hit powerfully. Although he was lucky that he fell over when Grabz had that miss as if he was standing where he probably would have been we would have had another.

No good getting on to the goalie. He was anticipating a cross shot or pass to Grabban and his feet were moving accordingly. The team shouldn’t have let Ameobi and Grabz get goal side. They are also very critical of Harrison. Come off it. 1-0 down in 94th minute. He could of passed back to goalie but Forest would have just reset. Harrison gambled as last man, tried to control clearance and start attack. Slight miscontrolled and pocket was picked by Lolley. It happens. Felt both critics and some fans are ultra critical. They were beaten by a well set up team. It happens. Th fact they are blaming everyone reflects their high expectation. Forest need to keep expectation realistic.