Big Sam n/g | Vital Football

Big Sam n/g

Brexiteer

Vital Squad Member
He's a track record of steadying the ship and avoiding relegation much like Pulis.
Sam is taking a lot of stick from Everton fans about his playing style as he did at West Ham.
Everton were 5th from bottom when he took over they are 8th. Pulis kept Stoke and West Brom in the Premiership look at where they are now.
I would much prefer getting good results over pretty football.
These guys have been much maligned, I wonder if the fans of those clubs have heard the phrase 'be careful what you wish for'

He's a track record of steadying the ship and avoiding relegation much like Pulis.
Sam is taking a lot of stick from Everton fans about his playing style as he did at West Ham.
Everton were 5th from bottom when he took over they are 8th. Pulis kept Stoke and West Brom in the Premiership look at where they are now.
I would much prefer getting good results over pretty football.
These guys have been much maligned, I wonder if the fans of those clubs have heard the phrase 'be careful what you wish for'
I think you're dead right regarding both managers; that said, I think the problem for both is taking the football club to the next stage, ie not pretty football but something more expansive.

But the problem taking either club to the “next level” is spending the amounts of dosh that City, Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea etc spend on payers.

Any club that can’t do that Is probably better off with a Big Sam / TP style of manager.

But the problem taking either club to the “next level” is spending the amounts of dosh that City, Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea etc spend on payers.

Any club that can’t do that Is probably better off with a Big Sam / TP style of manager.
Then how do you account for teams like Burnley, Leicester or Bournemouth?

Then how do you account for teams like Burnley, Leicester or Bournemouth?

I'll grant you Leicester for 1 season.

But do you really think any of those teams have gone to "the next level"? Especially if you are talking about a next level that Everton haven't achieved.

IMHO there's just 2 levels in the EPL.

There's the top 6, which has been pretty much the same for the past 5 - 10 years .

Then there's the rest.

If you want to crack top 6 you better be prepared to spend big money

I think we were comparing managers rather than resources and the relative achievements of those managers on limited resources, although of those clubs the likes of Stoke, West Brom did have some money but was it spent wisely?

I think we were comparing managers rather than resources and the relative achievements of those managers on limited resources, although of those clubs the likes of Stoke, West Brom did have some money but was it spent wisely?

Yeah fully agree WK. We are comparing the managers not the resources.

I might have misread your earlier statement -
"I think the problem for both is taking the football club to the next stage, ie not pretty football but something more expansive."

By "next stage" I thought you meant up the table, but you actually said more expansive football. My mistake.

I can't see why Evertonians are moaning at him tho. I'd be over the moon with the rise Everton have made no matter what style of football. I suppose they wanted tippy-tappy expansive stuff whilst finishing 17th so they can do it all again next season. Think Charlton fans wanted similar a few years back. Went well for them too.

Koeman IMO underperformed with the squad/investment he had. Big Sam has getting unfair stick from the moment he joined, and it’s only damaging to the club. If you disagree with his appointment then you can whinge about who employed him. Football fans are fucking idiots.

I didn't particularly enjoy the football we played under Mad Dog but we won the league title with it. So I learned that boring 1-0 wins should sometimes be appreciated as much as playing attractive football and not getting relegated. Just avoiding relegation will be enough this season!

Do you go to football matches, out of interest?

Good point 666. I don't go to many nowadays and maybe (just maybe) I'd feel a little different if I was still living in Kent and a S/T holder.

But in my defense, I watched 2 seasons of Gerry Summers sides, eking out boring 0-0 and 1-1 draws with enough 1-0 home wins that we nearly got promoted. And I loved every minute of it.

Same point as Vambo makes about us gaining promotion under Mad Dog.

And how many people have I heard say that we played some of the best home football ever under Stimson. What was the result of that? Anyone want a repeat of that season?

In an ideal world it would be great to play attractive football and win. We did it under my namesake, under PT I'm told, and under Nelson so it is possible. But if I had to chose one over the other, give me a winning side any day. I'd go watch somewhere else as a neutral if I just wanted flowing entertaining football. But watching Man City holds no lure to me.

You're right about your namesake SirKeefy, his teams played the best, most exciting football I've ever seen at Gillingham but, to prove your point, he never got us promotion.
To have both success and entertainment, you basically need loads of money. Wolves are a classic example at the moment but we all know that to kick on and have actual success in the PL, they won't have anywhere near enough cash.

I understand the value of winning, or at least avoiding too many defeats, for a middling/lesser team. I don't however see the straight fun/function split as a constant divide. Pulis was great for us but I'd had a basinfulof his style of football by the time he left. He went at the right time. Mad Dog ran out of time even quicker and I was finding games increasingly tedious and dispiriting towards the end of his tenure.

The problem with Allardyce is that he's a gobshite, who has an overinflated idea of his own worth. I've read articles in which he whines that he's been denied the top jobs and was good enough to manage Real Madrid. He di get a top jof of sorts and look how that turned out. Bore fans on the field with relative success but charm them off it perhaps. Bore them on the pitch and insult them off it and your name is ex manager Allardyce.

The other difference from Burnley and Bournemouth is that their Managers have been in situe for several seasons. I would guess that all the players were signed by Dyche and Howe and they have had several seasons to install a team pattern and understanding between players.

Pulis and Big Sam are nearly always called for when a team is in freefall, the manager has been sacked and the transfer window has closed.

The only long spell Allardyce has been given was at Bolton and personally I thought the side he put together at the end was entertaining with the likes of Jay Jay Okocha and Youri Djorkaeff.

Strange that the other club Wayne mentioned was Leicester as Claude Puel was brought in to do the firefighting in their case and there is already dissent from fans about his style of play even though Shakespeare left them in a mess.

The thing I do not understand about the Everton Fans is that their team has been royally spanked by their deadly enemy Liverpool in every derby in the past few seasons and yet Allardyce has achieved two draws in the league and a narrow 2-1 away defeat in the cup this year. They obviously prefer the piss taking and humiliation they must previously have been receiving from reds fans.