Best Villa side in recent history (my history that is that may not be that recent to many) | Page 2 | Vital Football

Best Villa side in recent history (my history that is that may not be that recent to many)

He's still a season ticket holder and was castigating Hogan from his wheelchair at Wembley 2 weeks ago

Love it.

The sort of supporter that should be there when a player signs so they know what they are joining and the history and the expectation.

Your grandad should be in the dressing room aswell giving it both barrels aswell. Maybe then these players will understand.

Ah I see the 77 side has already been mentioned .

To me it was far better than the side that won the League and euro cup but obviously the stats prove otherwise

Me too. Free-scoring, attractive swash-buckling play. Fortress Villa Park - just one defeat, 3 draws and SEVENTEEN victories. Top scorers in Division one. If we had just tightened up away from home we could have won the league that year.

That 1977 Season !

Think we've got most enjoyable teams covered, with 77-78 the best for me but enjoyed all the others mentioned. Worth noting that my Dad, although a Wolves fan, always rated Walker and Waring from what he read and heard from his mates.

The one team not mentioned that I enjoyed was SGTs late 80s revival. Platt and Daley in full flow were a sight to behold. The 3-0 drubbing of Fergies Utd, Boxing day 89-90 (my dad's last game of football) springs to mind. Just a shame we got Cascarino from Millwall instead of Sheringham when we needed a final push.:slap:

Think we've got most enjoyable teams covered, with 77-78 the best for me but enjoyed all the others mentioned. Worth noting that my Dad, although a Wolves fan, always rated Walker and Waring from what he read and heard from his mates.

The one team not mentioned that I enjoyed was SGTs late 80s revival. Platt and Daley in full flow were a sight to behold. The 3-0 drubbing of Fergies Utd, Boxing day 89-90 (my dad's last game of football) springs to mind. Just a shame we got Cascarino from Millwall instead of Sheringham when we needed a final push.:slap:

That'll be 76-77 then,:ooops: I am losing brain cells rapidly lol.

:agree:

No brainer for me. I remember 81-82 but would not have really understood the game.

It's 92-93. BFR. What football that was. Shirts were not bad either .

MD I reckon that I must be about the only Villa fan that didn't like that shirt with the laces lol. Somehow the blue always seemed too bright (as it did on the later Asics striped shirt) and the laces annoyed me. Liked the previous Umbro shirt and particularly the Hummel 89-90 kit which was definitely the right shade of blue. Just thought I'd share that:off::grinning:

I loved the 76/77 team even though I missed, "the best half of football ever..." Aston Villa 5 Liverpool 1.
The best for me is still 80-81. Followed by 81-82.
I could cry now.

Gray, Little, Deehan.

Do not think we needed either, carry on with Sticks, Olney etc, no need to change

My dad told me the story of how he'd been on his lunch break at work and called his non football fan mum, she told him we'd signed a striker from Millwall. He ecstatically assumed it was Sheringham and was devastated to later find out it was in his words "that bloody donkey" cascarino. Though I was happy at the time I'll probably look back and feel similarly when I remember how we splashed 12m on mccormack instead of getting in the guy who supplied him, Cairney.

BFR's teams played glorious football a lot of the time.
The problem with MON's reign, although we can't sniff at three top six finishes (though some did), was that the football was often pretty ordinary.

MD I reckon that I must be about the only Villa fan that didn't like that shirt with the laces lol. Somehow the blue always seemed too bright (as it did on the later Asics striped shirt) and the laces annoyed me. Liked the previous Umbro shirt and particularly the Hummel 89-90 kit which was definitely the right shade of blue. Just thought I'd share that:off::grinning:

Booooooooooo!!!

NV Out !.

Lol