Best Spurs sixteen | Page 2 | Vital Football

Best Spurs sixteen

Agree, it really is a virtually impossible task to select a best Spurs eleven across five or six decades, but I think that Mike England would be pretty close to being in my team. More recently (only 40 years or so ago) Graham Roberts was a real leader who hasn't had much of a mention.
SAJ, another one I forgot, including Mabbsy, loved both, jesus am getting old lol!

Showing my age now! Definite double team bias I’m afraid!
Jennings, Walker, England, King, Knowles, Blanchflower, Mackay, White, Greaves, Kane, Bale. Manager Billy Nick
You could call that team a whisky drinker’s dream what wth Walker and White and Mackay!!! And in a drunken stare we could pitch that team against
Clemence, Carr, Toby, Jan, Rose, Perryman, Roberts, Hoddle, Jones, Klinsmann and Keane. Manager Kieth Burkenshaw

if that is not enough of a challenge how easy is it to name our worst 11?!!

After much thought

Jennings
Walker England King Knowles
Mackay
Gascoigne Hoddle
Bale Greaves Klinsmann

Five Subs: Clemence Gough Roberts Eriksen Kane

Manager Mourinho - Be interesting to see whether he could screw up with that sixteen available to him.

After much thought

Jennings
Walker England King Knowles
Mackay
Gascoigne Hoddle
Bale Greaves Klinsmann

Five Subs: Clemence Gough Roberts Eriksen Kane

Manager Mourinho - Be interesting to see whether he could screw up with that sixteen available to him.
Hahaha! very good question.

.......................Jennings
Perryman .......................................Knowles .
...............King.... Roberts.....McKay

Jones.......Hoddle.......Greaves......Ginola

..........................Kane
subs
Thorsveldt
Son
Mullery
Chivers
VDV
Robertson
White
Like it Walt, we are definitely of a certain era. Unfortunately we couldn't find room for Frank Saul!

Like it Walt, we are definitely of a certain era. Unfortunately we couldn't find room for Frank Saul!
Frank Saul never left anything on the pitch . Did he . His face constantly red from the effort . Brilliant call Smithy .....

What about the “great white hope” . Alfie Conn ?

He played for Rangers and Celtic , and he was famously asked once .... , “Which was the better team Alfie , , Rangers or Celtic ? ...

......... he said .... Spurs !

Frank Saul never left anything on the pitch . Did he . His face constantly red from the effort . Brilliant call Smithy .....

What about the “great white hope” . Alfie Conn ?

He played for Rangers and Celtic , and he was famously asked once .... , “Which was the better team Alfie , , Rangers or Celtic ? ...

......... he said .... Spurs !
I remember Alfie Conn, Walt. We also had a young Scottish lad, Neil McNab, in midfield. And Glen was starting out on his career. That was a skilful midfield. Didn't stop us getting relegated in 77 though!

It's a very difficult task because to choose your best team you need balance which wouldn't necessarily include the best players available.

But I've gone for the best players that I've seen in their respective positions with hopefully a semblance of balance.

Jennings
Kinnear England King Hughton
Mackay
Ardiles Hoddle
Bale Kane Greaves

Subs

Clemence, Perryman, Roberts, Dembele, Chivers

Last edited:
John White's nickname as I recall. Enjoyed a tackle about as much as Sonny does, but a wonderful player who we saw far too little of.
That's agreed mate, but he just used to turn up in the right place at the right time....ahem! like a Ghost! or whilst dribbling just Ghost past em!

I went with a strong spine with plenty of flair on the flanks. Ginola & Bale would switch flanks accordingly changing from inverted to orthodox wingers at the drop of a hat.

I reckon that side would be typical Spurs ie... very easy on the eye.