Best Spurs sixteen | Vital Football

Best Spurs sixteen

Timbo1882

Vital Reserves Team
This is to lay that League hodoo. Jennings, Perryman, England, Popescu, Essou-Ekotto, Anderton, Dembele, Hoddle, Peters, Greaves, Kane. Subs: Clemence, Klinsmann, Sheringham, Modric, Sherwood.

This is to lay that League hodoo. Jennings, Perryman, England, Popescu, Essou-Ekotto, Anderton, Dembele, Hoddle, Peters, Greaves, Kane. Subs: Clemence, Klinsmann, Sheringham, Modric, Sherwood.
Haha Timbo, bored eh! you really have started something here.
Now let me have a think, layout/setting up of the side is very important so has to be taken into context.
I will get back to you.

Here's one for you, though mine even had me arguing with myself, what about lol!

4-3-3
Jennings
Beal...England...Perryman...Essou-Ekotto
Blanchflower...Mackay...Hoddle
Jones...Kane...Greaves

Subs...Clemence, Klinsmann, Modric, Ardilles, Gascoigne

Here's one for you, though mine even had me arguing with myself, what about lol!

4-3-3
Jennings
Beal...England...Perryman...Essou-Ekotto
Blanchflower...Mackay...Hoddle
Jones...Kane...Greaves

Subs...Clemence, Klinsmann, Modric, Ardilles, Gascoigne
I can't argue with that, Pompey. I loved Beal as a left half. For modern day I wasn't sure about his pace but he was Bobby Moore esque in his positional play and distribution. Not very tall though. I never saw Blanchflower and Mackay was transferred to Derby around the time I started going. I know Greavsie says he was the pick of the bunch.

GK: Jennings

RB: Carr
RCB: Judas
LCB: KING
LB: Rose

CM: Gazza
CM: Dembele
CM/AM: Modric

AM/ST: Berbatov
AM/ST: Ginola

ST: Kane

Subs: GK: Hugo , DEF: Toby, MID: Hoddle, AM/ST: Keane, ST: Klinsmann.

Manager: Harry Redknapp
Glad you put King in there , mate . ! Not so sure about Judas though ! I wouldn’t ever put him back into one of our teams , no matter how good he was .
Even Jennings came back to the right side . ! Ha ha .

There is a lot of thinking to be done here , Chivers , Gilzean , White , Knowles , VDV , Berba , Gascoine , Jones , Venables , Conn , Hazard , Ossie , Lineaker , Thorsvedt ...with all the above posts , not an easy job .

GK: Jennings

RB: Carr
RCB: Judas
LCB: KING
LB: Rose

CM: Gazza
CM: Dembele
CM/AM: Modric

AM/ST: Berbatov
AM/ST: Ginola

ST: Kane

Subs: GK: Hugo , DEF: Toby, MID: Hoddle, AM/ST: Keane, ST: Klinsmann.

Manager: Harry Redknapp
RD you just proved how difficult it is to name a team/squad out of all the brilliant players a lot of us oldies have seen/witnessed play.
I must admit I would swap my Perryman for King, how the eff did I forget him, doh!
As for Judas, never in a million years would I name him.

How about the double side of 60/61, or don't they count because they won the league, plus Greaves, Hoddle, vintage Bale, Gascoigne and Ardilles. We've had plenty of world class midfielders and attackers over the years, not so many defenders.

Sheringham was a top striker aswell.

I nearly had Gough in there at the back. Him and Mabbutt were a very good CB pairing.

In our lifetimes, we've seen so few great centre-halves at Spurs. For me, Mabbsy was the first I remember. Then Gough came and went and Razor organised us for a short while as well. After that it was Judas leading up to King taking over, with cameos from Naybet and Woodgate. We've now seen Vertonghen leave and Toby hanging on. The cupboard is bare again.

In our lifetimes, we've seen so few great centre-halves at Spurs. For me, Mabbsy was the first I remember. Then Gough came and went and Razor organised us for a short while as well. After that it was Judas leading up to King taking over, with cameos from Naybet and Woodgate. We've now seen Vertonghen leave and Toby hanging on. The cupboard is bare again.
I'm old enough to remember Mike England in the late 60s and early 70s. It's difficult to compare across eras but he was up there with the best in my mind.

I'm old enough to remember Mike England in the late 60s and early 70s. It's difficult to compare across eras but he was up there with the best in my mind.
Agree, it really is a virtually impossible task to select a best Spurs eleven across five or six decades, but I think that Mike England would be pretty close to being in my team. More recently (only 40 years or so ago) Graham Roberts was a real leader who hasn't had much of a mention.