Best holiday you've ever had? | Vital Football

Best holiday you've ever had?

Mine was last year in the USA. We hired a car and drove from San Francisco to Monterey, Carmel and Sequoia National Park in California to see the giant redwoods including General Sherman. Then on to Las Vegas in Nevada for three nights, in which time we went to the Grand Canyon in Arizona, Hoover Dam and Red Rock Canyon. Then through Death Valley to north of Lake Tahoe for a night, and back to San Francisco. Lots of driving but great fun and some stunning scenery. Got engaged too!

Mine was last year in the USA. We hired a car and drove from San Francisco to Monterey, Carmel and Sequoia National Park in California to see the giant redwoods including General Sherman. Then on to Las Vegas in Nevada for three nights, in which time we went to the Grand Canyon in Arizona, Hoover Dam and Red Rock Canyon. Then through Death Valley to north of Lake Tahoe for a night, and back to San Francisco. Lots of driving but great fun and some stunning scenery. Got engaged too!

congratulations......presume you will get married at the LNER with the reception in the Legends Lounge. red and white striped suit a must,bride walking down the aisle to the Dambusters theme tune.

Alaska for me.

Did a land tour initially from Fairbanks down to Anchorage taking in some stunningly beautiful places including Mount Denali which we could actually see ( as more often that not it is covered by fog due to how the weather works around it)

Then a cruise down through the Glacier Bay , Skagway , Juneau and into Vancouver.

Just a lovely part of the world if you are into scenery and wildlife. Grizzlies, Black Bears, Moose, Wolves and the incredible sight of a pod of Humpback whales breaching right by the ship.

The only other part of the world I would live in other than this country.

I've asked Mrs I and she tells me it was just after I retired. Somerset on the north coast staying in June at a farmhouse just outside Porlock, which is the place with the famous hill. Lots of good walking on Exmoor, good weather, cream teas, fish and chips in Lynmouth being dive bombed by gulls. All we wanted. I can't argue, though a stay in Northumberland ran it close. Been abroad but the best of the UK easily stands comparison.

New York. Can't wait to go back for my 60th but doing NY and Washington DC this time.
My first holiday abroad where I could understand the locals - a real home from home.
The topless nightime bus trip across the Manhattan bridge as I turned to look at the skyline was breathtaking and worth the cost of the holiday alone. Absolutely stunning.

La Palma - Fantastic Christmas holiday, hotel the whole package. However........getting there was something else. We flew from Düsseldorf and wasn’t sure we would take off with all the snow. Managed to drive through the snow to get to the airport and check in, snow still falling with the plane going through the de-icer. The relief when we took off and wheels up ! Happy Holidays but that was just the start......

Everything going well seat belt signs on for final approach into La Palma. Then it all kicked off with turbulence with the plane shaking more or less out the sky ! Done a bit of flying in my time with work but this was something else. Full throttle and we were out of there for another go around. Same thing happened again only this time we didn’t get as far as the first time and diverted to Tenerife.

Put up in a very good hotel with the instruction to meet 0800Hrs next morning for buses to the Airport. Boarded the plane and taxi to the runway threshold waiting for full take off power, waited a bit more only to be told we are going back to the aircraft stand due to weather in La Palma and no electric island wide.

Waited in the departure lounge, lent this little old German lady my mobile phone so she could call her son and let him know she was ok and what was happening. The children were happy as she then came back with chocolate from the shop for them. Then it was back on the busses.

Back to the same hotel but different room, this time no slippers or bath robes ! We found out the plane had then departed back to Düsseldorf. Another night in the hotel and busses the next day to the docks !

Tickets provided and in my hands for the Fred Olsen catamaran calling at all islands to La Palma. Didn’t even think we would get on the thing with the amount of people dockside reminiscent of the evacuations during the war. Not a great crossing either as my daughter was a little worse for wear with sea sickness.

Arrived on the docks and would you believe it a taxi waiting for us to take us to the hotel. Power restored, although landslides everywhere, not great when you have to go down a winding mountain side road to the hotel.

Got there at check-in midnight Christmas Eve. The holiday was fantastic, everything picked up as though nothing had happened. So grateful we went with a German tour operator, they just know how do do things properly and not just holidays either. Apparently worst storms in La Palma ever, but a cracking relaxing holiday all the same.

We’ve had some lovely holidays over the years though we’ve not ventured further afield than europe but I think my personal favourite so far is probably a nine day rail trip to Switzerland. The hotels were pretty average but the scenery was breathtaking. We overnighted in Luxembourg on the way and Cologne on return. We travelled on various rail trips throughout including the Glacier Express, Bernina Express and the Jungfrau right next to the Eiger ( highest railway station in Europe at I think 4000m) Also visited Interlaken. I even managed a bit of altitude sickness at height near to the Matterhorn

Alaska for me.

Did a land tour initially from Fairbanks down to Anchorage taking in some stunningly beautiful places including Mount Denali which we could actually see ( as more often that not it is covered by fog due to how the weather works around it)

Then a cruise down through the Glacier Bay , Skagway , Juneau and into Vancouver.

Just a lovely part of the world if you are into scenery and wildlife. Grizzlies, Black Bears, Moose, Wolves and the incredible sight of a pod of Humpback whales breaching right by the ship.

The only other part of the world I would live in other than this country.
Sounds excellent!

La Palma - Fantastic Christmas holiday, hotel the whole package. However........getting there was something else. We flew from Düsseldorf and wasn’t sure we would take off with all the snow. Managed to drive through the snow to get to the airport and check in, snow still falling with the plane going through the de-icer. The relief when we took off and wheels up ! Happy Holidays but that was just the start......

Everything going well seat belt signs on for final approach into La Palma. Then it all kicked off with turbulence with the plane shaking more or less out the sky ! Done a bit of flying in my time with work but this was something else. Full throttle and we were out of there for another go around. Same thing happened again only this time we didn’t get as far as the first time and diverted to Tenerife.

Put up in a very good hotel with the instruction to meet 0800Hrs next morning for buses to the Airport. Boarded the plane and taxi to the runway threshold waiting for full take off power, waited a bit more only to be told we are going back to the aircraft stand due to weather in La Palma and no electric island wide.

Waited in the departure lounge, lent this little old German lady my mobile phone so she could call her son and let him know she was ok and what was happening. The children were happy as she then came back with chocolate from the shop for them. Then it was back on the busses.

Back to the same hotel but different room, this time no slippers or bath robes ! We found out the plane had then departed back to Düsseldorf. Another night in the hotel and busses the next day to the docks !

Tickets provided and in my hands for the Fred Olsen catamaran calling at all islands to La Palma. Didn’t even think we would get on the thing with the amount of people dockside reminiscent of the evacuations during the war. Not a great crossing either as my daughter was a little worse for wear with sea sickness.

Arrived on the docks and would you believe it a taxi waiting for us to take us to the hotel. Power restored, although landslides everywhere, not great when you have to go down a winding mountain side road to the hotel.

Got there at check-in midnight Christmas Eve. The holiday was fantastic, everything picked up as though nothing had happened. So grateful we went with a German tour operator, they just know how do do things properly and not just holidays either. Apparently worst storms in La Palma ever, but a cracking relaxing holiday all the same.
Well done for still enjoying it after all that you went through! I suppose you probably needed to relax more than ever by that point!

We’ve had some lovely holidays over the years though we’ve not ventured further afield than europe but I think my personal favourite so far is probably a nine day rail trip to Switzerland. The hotels were pretty average but the scenery was breathtaking. We overnighted in Luxembourg on the way and Cologne on return. We travelled on various rail trips throughout including the Glacier Express, Bernina Express and the Jungfrau right next to the Eiger ( highest railway station in Europe at I think 4000m) Also visited Interlaken. I even managed a bit of altitude sickness at height near to the Matterhorn
I've seen some videos of Switzerland that have had me considering something similar, I have to say.

I've seen some videos of Switzerland that have had me considering something similar, I have to say.
We once drove to Florence for two weeks. On the way back we stopped at a motorway services in Switzerland for a meal. Well, I used the term l motorway services loosely. We ordered steak haché (fancy French burger) with chips. "Would you like sauted potatoes" they asked, and sauted them in front of us. We took the food and sat outside on the decking, overlooking a huge lake. It was outstanding quality in a stunning setting.

We did look at getting the rail passes/hotels ourselves but it was a similar price to go with a company so we opted for that.
The holiday began with Eurostar from st Pancras with a group of about 20 others plus a tour manager so it depends whether or not you prefer the company of other people or like to do things as a couple. My wife would have preferred it with just the two of us really but having a tour manager eliminates any worry with finding the correct connection etc. If we did it again we’d probably do it ourselves to avoid being slightly regimented. On our trip breakfasts and evening meals were included and we ate as a group and there were a couple of free days where you could do your own thing and on the other days you set off on the day trip together but then pleased yourself whilst there and made your own way back separately whenever (train timetables provided). Breathtaking views better than anywhere we’ve been before and incredible how they managed to even plan some of the railways let alone build them, with vast viaducts and tunnels etc.

Take a mortgage out if you want a trip into Switzerland,....travelled extensively there over the years by train and car and it is not cheap.(lincolnshire wolds with snow peaks)
Stick to Mablethorpe,at least the chip supper is decent there even if you have to eat it in the pissing rain and that`s inside the caravan with numerous leaks in the roof.

We once drove to Florence for two weeks. On the way back we stopped at a motorway services in Switzerland for a meal. Well, I used the term l motorway services loosely. We ordered steak haché (fancy French burger) with chips. "Would you like sauted potatoes" they asked, and sauted them in front of us. We took the food and sat outside on the decking, overlooking a huge lake. It was outstanding quality in a stunning setting.

We stopped off at a service area in Switzerland - bought cheese and ham sandwiches - and sat inside looking at the rain hammering down outside!! We were on our way to Garda, and that day travelled from Strasbourg. It was one of the worst days travelling we've done - raining, and long queues through all the tolls and the Swiss customs. Actually turned out to be a great holiday.

Did you go through the tunnels? - we came back a different way, just one shorter tunnel and straight into France

Also, what did you make of Florence? - we had a day there as part of another holiday - but going round the cathedral have to say I found myself comparing it with Lincoln Cathedral, and Lincoln won hands down!!