Best goal you've ever seen at St James's Park live | Page 2 | Vital Football

Best goal you've ever seen at St James's Park live

Neppos - 24/9/2017 23:52

Gotcha

Would never have rembered.

Was back when we 'hired' the extra seating from Brands Hatch or Silverstone for the Leazes end when the old West Stand was being replaced by the smaller version of the Milburn stand

I think the greatest volume of great goals I saw, was in the period from Keegan's first time as manager, for a period of 3 years, there were hardly any tap ins, they were all worldies.

His favourite method was to concentrate play on say LHS, drag all of the opposition over, then quickly switch play to a runner on RHS, by which time 10 of our players were in the box.

It was fucking great....

Magical to watch.

Sadly never got the trophy the football deserved.

Manure were just such the dominant force at the time.

Mark McGhee's gotto be up there with his last minute winner again Bradford. Ben Arfa against Bolton was another favourite s well as Shearer (Everton), Robert (Spurs) and Tino's third against Barca.

vin1892 - 25/9/2017 12:05

Mark McGhee's gotto be up there with his last minute winner again Bradford.

Was in the corner, he seemed to beat about 3 defenders before side footing into the Leazes net.

vin1892 - 25/9/2017 12:05

Mark McGhee's gotto be up there with his last minute winner again Bradford. Ben Arfa against Bolton was another favourite s well as Shearer (Everton), Robert (Spurs) and Tino's third against Barca.

Absolute dire game against Bradford that, so much so I was on my way down the stairs outside the Gallowgste end when I heard the noise, much to the amusement of the lads giving it the ****** sign at the back of the stand to those leaving early. Couldn't believe how good it was when I saw it on the telly, bastard.

McGhee scored the winner in a 4-3 game against Leicester which was a cracker. After being 1-3 down it was a remarkable comeback. McGhee seemed to have the ball stuck to his feet the way he waltzed passed the defence. As for the best goal I've seen us score, well if it rescues a point or it's the winner then I'll say that one. Too many to pick from to chose just one.

You sure that wasn't the 5-4 game, having been 2-4 down, Mac? Or is that a different game altogether? Memory may be playing tricks.

Malcolm Macdonald against Aston Villain the 70's got the ball at the halfway line and sprinted past the defenders before unleashing a thunderbolt, was kid at the time and I remember the pure joy when it went in and thinking I want to do that one day, whenever I think of great goals thats the one that springs to mind.

Neppos - 25/9/2017 23:07

You sure that wasn't the 5-4 game, having been 2-4 down, Mac? Or is that a different game altogether? Memory may be playing tricks.
You're quite right Neppos, it was the 5-4 game. 55 years of memories. I can remember a 5-2 against Leicester when they had a teenage Lineker playing up front.

Can anyone find the Varadi goal against Charlton or Tommy Cassidy in the 1980 New Year goal?

The closest I can find to that is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKj4DD5PTCs

Cassidy had a few of those.

The Keegan era saw the best football and some of the best goals ever scored at St James. But like a few others on here, it's often those that hark back to your youth which stick in your mind. My own was from Tommy Craig. It was a humdinger from way outside the box firing in to the Gallogate End. It was the full bullet, mighty strike, leaving the ground, ball rocketing through every player and bulging the net. Really though, it was the look of absolute delight on Tommy's face as he wheeled round to celebrate the goal.

Now, which match? I had to hunt about for facts but it's October 1976 and I think it was against Birmingham (3-2). Probably one of my favourite seasons. Very eventful. Supermac was gone out of the scene and we had Alan Gowling, plodding forever at No.9. Gordon Lee both inspired then deserted the club at a critical point. League Cup finalists but lost to Man City. Overall, we finished 5th.

There's been wonderful ups and downs since, many remembered above, but the romance of youth has Tommy's effort, no doubt tinged with rose-coloured memory goggles, as my stand out goal.

Up until Ginola, I used to have high regard for a Terry McDermott volley v Liverpool in the Keegan farewell game. Was in the corner near the little wooden kiosk for that one as it flew in and pandemonium ensued.