Best Gills Goal you saw live | Vital Football

Best Gills Goal you saw live

MedwayModernist

Vital Squad Member
Given the sheer state of the two worldies scored at the weekend, I thought it'd be a laugh to actually get some chat about goals going that we've scored.

Feel free to add any below, but the one rule is you have to have seen them live to vote for them. I didn't see either Wilko or Martin's goals on Saturday, but have included them for those here who did.

Youtube likes to the goals are encouraged!

I've included mine from the days I had season tickets and went frequently.

--------Edit--------

Stupidly the poll posted too early. Other goals I was going to include were these.

Trigger Home vs Sheff Weds
Wilko Away vs Pompey
Martin Away vs Pompey
Taylor Home vs Bristol City
Trigger Away vs Bolton
King Home vs West Ham
Ratcliffe Home vs Coventry

Way before your time Mod bit i go for Karl ELseys volley on the run after a lovely build up down the right at Griffin Park Easter Saturday in 85 ( i think).

Funnily enough yesterday was four years to the day that Jake Hess scored husband screamed against Coventry.

Hess's v Stoke was extra special because of the occasion. But the best live goal for me was Iffy's 35+ yard volley at Coventry - we were so amazed that there were at least 3 seconds of silence before the Gills fans went bonkers!

Honourable mentions for Luke Norris's screamer at Bramall Lane, Super Bob's solo in a 4-1 win at Oldham and the volley that got Chris Dickson his hattrick at Crewe...

Terry Cochrane v one of the Bristol teams at Priestfield.

Close to the half way line lob.

nibbles - 12/3/2018 17:44

Funnily enough yesterday was four years to the day that Jake Hess scored husband screamed against Coventry.

Who needs spell check?

:19:

Other contenders off top of my head:

Billy Manuel v Southend
Peter Beadle v Blackpool
Karl Elsey v Swine
Steve Lovell v Sheffield United
Andy Thomson v Wigan

Sure there are many others if I gave it some serious thought.

Hess at Stoke. I was right in line with it and it was unstoppable. Somehow even Stoke fans knew that was a massive turning point.

myonlygillingham - 12/3/2018 17:35

Way before your time Mod bit i go for Karl ELseys volley on the run after a lovely build up down the right at Griffin Park Easter Saturday in 85 ( i think).

That was going to be my vote - so I will think up another :-)

A few contenders here

Out of this lot I would say Weston v Shrewsbury - just for technique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHbn7F4SXVA

It feels wrong not to say Bob Taylor - so I will just leave this here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9qoUAOONZM&t=61s

Cascarinos overheadish kick v Sunderland in the play off 1st leg
Ken Price's 2 headers v Shrewsbury 78-79
Tony Funnell volley v Exeter 78-79
Jackson @ Wembley 09

Back in the 60's Tony Weston was our right back, he only scored 3 goals for us, but one against Brentford was a classic. He got the ball just inside our half by the old GRS took just over the halfway line, saw Chick Brodie off his line and from about 40 yards put it over Chick's head into the net, A heavy old fashioned ball, as good as any long range goal as you ever will see.

Yep, the "Elsey Rocket" v Swindon in the play-offs.
Best goal I ever saw live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdn_K0_D7QE

Don't watch any of it after Karl's goal. Just imagine that we didn't then concede 2 2nd half goals. Forget we lost the decider at Selhurst. Forget we sacked our best manager ever the following season. Forget nearly everything until 1995 in fact (maybe not Steve Lovell's goals and the Hereford game).