Best ever RE song/chant | Page 2 | Vital Football

Best ever RE song/chant

Goals, goals we want more goals, give the ball to Shearer give the ball to Shearer.
Or
Ken clap clap Price. Ken clap clap Price.

I’m sure you’ve missed out some “claps” there Archie.

I used to love hearing the Gills come out to "United we stand, divided we fall" just after a rendition of the 20th Century Fox music (1960's?).

That was in the 70’s as well. Definitely in our 74 promo season. Not sure if it was still being used by the time of Gerry Summers and then Sir Keith.

Like you I loved it too. As a youngster it was like the opening curtains and lights dimming at the movies. You knew it was all about to kick off. Err, literally.

I’m sure you’ve missed out some “claps” there Archie.

That was in the 70’s as well. Definitely in our 74 promo season. Not sure if it was still being used by the time of Gerry Summers and then Sir Keith.

Like you I loved it too. As a youngster it was like the opening curtains and lights dimming at the movies. You knew it was all about to kick off. Err, literally.

Never was good at the clap side of things. I've always tried to avoid it.

The simple, "w@nker, w@nker, w@anker" with everyone pointing at the accused. That's always funny.

I also always enjoy, and this has something, I'm sure, to do with being pleased/relieved about what has just happened on the pitch, both, "You thought you had scored, You were wrong, you were wrong!", and, "You're not singing anymore!"

Not so good when being sung at us but always (usually) fair enough.

Not so good when being sung at us but always (usually) fair enough.

On the topic of “being sung at us”.

Remember going to Brentford mid 80’s, the year after we’d had the famous 5-3 cup win when we came back from 1-3 down. And boy did we let them know it before and at the start of the game.

An hour or two later, we’d lost 2-5 and they gave it back to us in spades 😞

On the topic of “being sung at us”.

Remember going to Brentford mid 80’s, the year after we’d had the famous 5-3 cup win when we came back from 1-3 down. And boy did we let them know it before and at the start of the game.

An hour or two later, we’d lost 2-5 and they gave it back to us in spades 😞

Love it, OSK, that's what it's all about!

Having beaten Chesterfield 10-0, how many consecutive years after that did we lose 0-1 when playing them at Priestfield? Probably not too many but it felt like it was easily ten times!

'Itsy bitsy teenie weenie super David Perpetuini' was a marvellous creative effort from a few years back.

Linguistically it was brilliantly creative. Just a shame it bore little resemblance to reality (ok, he was,' itsy bitsy teeny weenie', I'm just not so sure about the 'super' bit!)

A bit like a couple of seasons back when the RE kept singing about Billy Bingham never giving the ball away; it seemed as if that song was always the cue for him to lose possession!

Last edited:
I remember an away game at Chesterfield in the early 90,s when we had Harvey Lim in goal. Every goal kick he took the hoards behind the goal would sing 'aaaarrrrhhhssol' because of his Chinese appearance. It made a change from the 'your sh#t ahh.

Not quite a chant but anyone remember the RE singing the tune of the Dambusters every time that old chap got up to go to the loo?
He seemed totally oblivious.

'He's got a pineapple on his head'. Who did we used to sing that to? probably in the 90's when one of the opponents black players had one of those ridiculous haircuts for the time.

I always remember boom boom boom let me here you say Leo from 1996 Leo fortune West

Ok, I don't expect anybody to believe this but I don't care, this is how I remember it.

It's the Summer of 1995 and I was staying with my Dad. We weren't getting along too well and were doing our best to stay out of each others' way.

However, we both found that Outhere Brothers record, that seemed to be on the radio all the time that summer, to be so insanely annoying and in a way it kind of united us in an absurd kind of way. Whenever it came on we would temporarily call a truce and dance about singing, "Boom, boom, boom, let me hear you say wayo!". Sometimes my Dad would even grab his guitar and play along. After the song had finished we'd return to our own business.

Anyway, fast-forward a couple of months and I'm at the RE and the Gills have this new player called 'Leo'. In a flash of inspiration I started singing, "Boom, boom, boom, let me hear you say Leo!" It very quickly caught on amongst us behind the goal, and then before long the entire stadium was doing it. A little while after that Norwich were playing Bayern Munich on the telly and I heard the Norwich fans singing it! Not sure who their player was whose name fitted the lyrics but they were definitely singing it!

Ok, I don't expect anybody to believe this but I don't care, this is how I remember it.

It's the Summer of 1995 and I was staying with my Dad. We weren't getting along too well and were doing our best to stay out of each others' way.

However, we both found that Outhere Brothers record, that seemed to be on the radio all the time that summer, to be so insanely annoying and in a way it kind of united us in an absurd kind of way. Whenever it came on we would temporarily call a truce and dance about singing, "Boom, boom, boom, let me hear you say wayo!". Sometimes my Dad would even grab his guitar and play along. After the song had finished we'd return to our own business.

Anyway, fast-forward a couple of months and I'm at the RE and the Gills have this new player called 'Leo'. In a flash of inspiration I started singing, "Boom, boom, boom, let me hear you say Leo!" It very quickly caught on amongst us behind the goal, and then before long the entire stadium was doing it. A little while after that Norwich were playing Bayern Munich on the telly and I heard the Norwich fans singing it! Not sure who their player was whose name fitted the lyrics but they were definitely singing it!
I don't believe you 😂