Best City XI | Vital Football

Best City XI

Skoorb

Alert Team
Ok here's something to exercise your mind whilst we watch the snow falling & wait for news of whether the game is going ahead this evening.

As Vincent Kompany descended the stairs at Wembley last Sunday having collected the League Cup, Craig Bellamy in the Sky studio commented on how he, David Silva and Sergio Aguero would be remembered as some of the greatest players ever to play for the club.........which got me thinking..........

Do VMCer's agree with the ex-City man?

So .............let's see if we can have some fun with the challenge of selecting a combined XI from the Joe Mercer/Malcolm Allison era (1965-73) and the 2008-18 period (for the sake of clarity players like Vinnie, signed just before the ADUG takeover, can be included).

You can pick who you thought were the best players or your favourites for whatever reason. It doesn't have to be the most balanced team & considerations of the differences between football in the late 1960s /early 1970s and the modern game can be set aside.

Tough choices lie ahead people.

Get those grey cells working. :048:

To start the ball rolling here is my first attempt (P.S. You can change your mind later if someone else comes up with a name you had forgotten!)

Corrigan

Book, Kompany, Doyle, Donachie

De Bruyne, Bell, Silva D

Summerbee, Aguero, Lee

A mixture of current excellence and just old fashioned nostalgia for me especially for those players I was particularly fond of whilst playing Subbuteo during the 1960s & 70s.

Attachments

• IMG_0369.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 0
Trautmann

Book Kompany Watson Pardoe

Bell De Bruyne Doyle Silva D. Kinkladze

Aguero

Subs - Corrigan, Walker, Heslop, Sané, Fernandiho, Benarbia, Doherty

I always wished Benarbia had been able to play more than one season. If only we had found him earlier in his career.

Skoorb - 1/3/2018 09:54

I always wished Benarbia had been able to play more than one season. If only we had found him earlier in his career.

Yes sadly at the back end of his career and by all accounts he wishes he had arrived sooner too.

I was at his debut v Birmingham in the KK era and he was brilliant from the off.

kennyclementstache - 1/3/2018 10:19

Good to see Nicky Summerbee getting called up to a best of first XI, always thought he was underrated.

Yes Nicky underrated by all his clubs
Swindon Town
Manchester City
Sunderland
Bolton Wanderers
Nottingham Forest
Leicester City
Bradford City
Tranmere Rovers
Tamworth

Ok, I'm going for an 'iconic' City XI;

Corrigan, Book, Doyle, VK4, Bell, Kinkladze, Lake, Merlin, Marsh, Lee, Aguero.

And a best of;

Coton, Zabaleta, Pardoe, VK4, Watson, Bell, Merlin, Red Kev, Barnes, Aguero, Tueart.

Berti: Corrigan, Lee, Francis, Baker, Hartford, Doyle, Book.

Buzz Lightyear - 1/3/2018 10:22

Yes sadly at the back end of his career and by all accounts he wishes he had arrived sooner too.

I was at his debut v Birmingham in the KK era and he was brilliant from the off.

3 - 0 and it absolutely pissed down if I remember rightly.

Buzz Lightyear - 1/3/2018 10:27

kennyclementstache - 1/3/2018 10:19

Good to see Nicky Summerbee getting called up to a best of first XI, always thought he was underrated.

Yes Nicky underrated by all his clubs
Swindon Town
Manchester City
Sunderland
Bolton Wanderers
Nottingham Forest
Leicester City
Bradford City
Tranmere Rovers
Tamworth

Good player. On his day.

Buzz Lightyear - 1/3/2018 10:22

I will always remember the back heel to Shaun Goater away at Gillingham. Absolutely outstanding - flicked the ball back with his heel in the air for Goater to volley. Brilliant :021:

Buzz Lightyear - 1/3/2018 09:28

Trautmann

Book Kompany Watson Pardoe

Bell De Bruyne Doyle Silva D. Kinkladze

Aguero

Subs - Corrigan, Walker, Heslop, Sané, Fernandiho, Benarbia, Doherty
An excellent team, but I think Walker is better than Book and with Kompany in the team as the leader I would have Walker. Also Mendy is a great full back, but unfortunately we have seen little of him, so I would make only the one change Buzz.