Berwick Rangers | Vital Football

Berwick Rangers

Croozey

Vital 1st Team Regular
Berwick Rangers finished bottom of the Scottish 2nd division this season, then lost a play-off 7-0 on aggregate, thus dropping out of the Scottish Football League. Where do they go now, English or Scottish non league football?

Berwick Rangers finished bottom of the Scottish 2nd division this season, then lost a play-off 7-0 on aggregate, thus dropping out of the Scottish Football League. Where do they go now, English or Scottish non league football?

Well they go into the Scottish Lowland League....that isn't even under question.

Plus Berwick is a Scottish town and Berwickshire a Scottish county.

They have just ended up on wrong side of border due to repeated occupation by English forces (been switched 13 times to date).
And actually did not officially get put into England until the late 1800s...Berwick had a "neither" status until then...

You are getting confused with the defunct Gretna who did play in the lower echelons of English none league football for several decades, I can even recall them playing Lincoln Utd many moons ago.

Berwick Rangers have always played in a Scottish League and will make up the numbers in the Lowland League next season.

Last edited:
Still at war with Russia aren't they?

Yes something like that.
Because they were for a long spell in neither England or Scotland, Berwick had to be named separately in any treaties and I think they got missed out of the peace treaty for ending the Crimean War so did indeed technically still remain at war with Russia!
I presume Versailles or something else has rectified this now!

Berwick is over 60 miles north of Newcastle and much easier for them to travel around lowland Scotland than northern England.

You are getting confused with the defunct Gretna who did play in the lower echelons of English none league football for several decades, I can even recall them playing Lincoln Utd many moons ago.

Berwick Rangers have always played in a Scottish League and will make up the numbers in the Lowland League next season.

That was a bit odd with a Scottish side playing in the English league and a de-facto English side playing in Scotland.

The difference in accent between Carlisle and Gretna, five miles north, was staggering.

But there are loads of Scottish sides more "southerly" than Berwick: Stranraer, Queen of the South, Annan, Ayr, Kilmarnock.... even Hamilton and Motherwell I think.

I must now add Cove Rangers (suburbs of Aberdeen) to the remaining 4 unvisited Scottish 'senior' 42 league grounds. Been to Berwick a few times, interesting ground basically 2 sided with the speedway slopes also helping to return balls leaving the pitch. Loved the real (from a tin) soup served there but never been a footballing giant. Wetherspoons deserted the town a few years ago too!

Yeah the border line isn't a straight line it goes up from the west to East coast , my father's family is from Hawick and it's south of Berwick-upon-Tweed but in Scotland, granted by 15 20 miles.

I must now add Cove Rangers (suburbs of Aberdeen) to the remaining 4 unvisited Scottish 'senior' 42 league grounds. Been to Berwick a few times, interesting ground basically 2 sided with the speedway slopes also helping to return balls leaving the pitch. Loved the real (from a tin) soup served there but never been a footballing giant. Wetherspoons deserted the town a few years ago too!
You can see it from the east coast mainline.

I was chatting with a scottish mate this morning about it. I said if they opted to play in England, starting at tier 9 of the pyramid, where do you think theyd level out at. He said 9. ?

I remember not so long ago, about the time of Gretnas climb to the Scottish top flight, Carlisle were contemplating following suit.

When I visited Berwick some years ago, I wondered what accent I would hear. It was certainly Scottish.

Yes. As I said it is a Scottish town, just one that's been seized by England. And was the county town of course of Berwickshire, all of which (except Berwick itself!) is still in Scotland.

And for a direct link to us, did anyone else go to the pre-season friendly we played up there against them?
Must have been early 90s I think.
I went up for the mini tour. All quite hazy now. But from recollection we played at Berwick one day then a couple of days later at Forfar.

Would love another Scottish pre-season tour. Maybe Kilmarnock (with our Alan Power) as one of them.
They'll have a new manager and so might we sadly...oh well.

Trevor Steven of Everton and England is probably the most famous to come from Berwick, used to sell programmes on match days apparently at Berwick back in the day.

Berwick is over 60 miles north of Newcastle and much easier for them to travel around lowland Scotland than northern England.

To put that in context, Berwick is around 60 miles north of Carlisle and further north than Queen of the South, Stranraer, Ayr and Kilmarnock. It is 10 miles closer to Edinburgh than Dundee is.

Last edited: