Benjamin Garre signing | Vital Football

Benjamin Garre signing

Rising

Alert Team
Argentine club, Velez, have appealed to CAS over City's signing of the youngster. Although cleared earlier by FIFA, Velez are not giving up. If upheld, we could be facing a transfer ban somewhere down the line.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10934213/manchester-citys-signing-of-teenager-benjamin-garre-set-to-be-heard-by-cas

Bluedub - 2/7/2017 15:00

Is there precedent for a transfer ban where FIFA have cleared the transfer?

Don't know, BD, but then I don't know if any club have gone to CAS on the subject before either.

I don't believe CAS can hand out any punishment, so effectively it'd be up to FIFA to retrospectively punish us for something we asked them to confirm was ok before we did it. It's more likely CAS will rule that FIFA's interpretation of their own rules is flawed and make them change them going forward :048:

Loan the lad back to Argentina so he can continue growing up with his family, bung Velez some money and just let's all move on.

Sorted.

CAS is an independent body, If you read the relevant rules regarding young players then we may be in trouble. WE will have to wait and see. :002:

"Man City argued that there is an exception in the FIFA rules that said that because he has a European passport he could be transferred. But the FIFA rule does not say that, it says he can move only within the EU, between EU clubs." that's a quote from Sarsfield's club secretary.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Clubs worldwide can't sign a player to a contract until he's 16, right? If that is the case then how can he move between clubs when he's not contractually at any club to begin with?

The devil will be in the detail. Great fodder for the lawyers.

It appears that City followed FIFA rules and the world governing body of football was ok with whatever arrangements were made with the player & his parents/guardians. The statement from FIFA at the time stated.....

"We can confirm that a decision regarding the application made by the Football Association to the sub-committee of the players’ status committee for approval of the international transfer of the player from Velez Sarsfield to Manchester City was passed on August 24, 2016.

“We can also confirm that having thoroughly analysed the request lodged by Velez Sarsfield, it was considered that there is no element justifying the opening of disciplinary proceedings against Manchester City.”

This would imply to me that FIFA should have our backs.......unless someone in our 'friends' in UEFA have a word in their shell-like ears......

It may be subject of an appeal by Velez, but that is unlikely, my thought that this case was all about money in which Velez received nothing, but stated that this had nothing to do with money.

City quite rightly followed the rules backed by FIFA

Good news although it is frustrating to read that most reporting uses the phrasing "City avoid transfer ban....." rather than making obvious that the club we're cleared of any wrongdoing