Ben Osborn: is he our best player? | Vital Football

Ben Osborn: is he our best player?

BlackGold

Vital 1st Team Regular
- Assisted every goal we've scored in our last two matches - may be dubious, but i would count being fouled in the box as an assist.
- Constant energy, endeavour, quality and spirit.
- Has played in every game this season.
- Is a thoroughly nice chap, or at least so says Paul Taylor.
- Valued by every manager the club has employed since his debut.

I agree that him , Cash and Fox have been invaluable to Forest this season. Even if he doesn't have the best of games he still puts in a shift and has made assists due to his endeavour.

The player that I find the most exciting to watch, when they are on their game, is Lolley. Hopefully as we play more games some of the newer recruits will be more expressive and deliver more consistently.

- Assisted every goal we've scored in our last two matches - may be dubious, but i would count being fouled in the box as an assist.
- Constant energy, endeavour, quality and spirit.
- Has played in every game this season.
- Is a thoroughly nice chap, or at least so says Paul Taylor.
- Valued by every manager the club has employed since his debut.

I agree with all of that, but I would add two criticisms/ things for him to work on

- he doesn't score enough goals currently to make it as a PL midfielder. He is being more positive by getting into scorint positions more but his finishing is dire.

- he can be very inconsistent within matches. There are games where he gets away with long periods of performing quite poorly with one or two moments of magic; a key pass, an assist, etc. There aren't enough games yet where you can say Osborn was superb throughout and I think this is why so many people undervalue him. The statistics don't fit with what they see because in some games he does look average- yet might still set up two goals

Last edited:
Osborb was poor yesterday and he needs to add more goals, but in general we look a much more creative and balanced side when HE is in midfield.

Sadly he isn't big, powerful and fast and he doesn't score 20 a season so some will never rate him.

People who dont rate benny know nowt about football.

He's hugely valuable to the team. He's incredibly fit and provides drive and energy like no one else.

Which other player can play LB, CM and LM?

People who dont rate benny know nowt about football.

He's hugely valuable to the team. He's incredibly fit and provides drive and energy like no one else.

Which other player can play LB, CM and LM?
James Perch could, but that doesn't mean he was a great player because he wasn't. Playing lots of positions means little

But that isn't to compare Perch to Osborn ability wise, as they are miles apart

So far this season, the early running is between him, Fox and Cash. For my money Fox is just about ahead but not much between them.

Os is the reigning player of the season and has been rated by all of his previous managers.

There are players with more skill and ability, players who score more goals but for me Os is probably our most important player. Unfortunately I think we will only realise just how important if/when he leaves.

.. but in general we look a much more creative and balanced side when HE is in midfield.

Midfield is his position. I hope that Karanka realises that now, to the extent he shouldn't be expected to provide back-up to left back.

As you say, he does increase our overall creativity by linking with those around him. It might not mean he's the most creative - obvious stats aside - he does just link/balance everything together between attack and midfield.

I love the little fucker. Sad days, indeed, if he does ever leave.

If you analyse every game properly..no he isn't. There is some romantic myth as time goes on that he has been excellent every game , he hasn't been. His first half yesterday was shocking . He got the 2 assists last game but his general play I felt wasn't up to scratch he was anonymous for most of it. He tries hard and nice lad very committed always available and keeps going never once saw bad attitude from him. Attitude goes a long way. I'd prefer him coming onto the pitch than the likes of watson . He is a valuable member of the squad due to his flexibility, availability and attitude

Osborb was poor yesterday and he needs to add more goals, but in general we look a much more creative and balanced side when HE is in midfield.

Sadly he isn't big, powerful and fast and he doesn't score 20 a season so some will never rate him.

My life has been so much better since I put YOU and your clique on ignore. I just wish people would stop quoting you so that I didn't have to read you absurd shit. However, I agree, Osborb is not fast or black enough to play for Forest. Hes also far too small for my liking.

My life has been so much better since I put YOU and your clique on ignore. I just wish people would stop quoting you so that I didn't have to read you absurd shit. However, I agree, Osborb is not fast or black enough to play for Forest. Hes also far too small for my liking.

I could live with all that if he wasn't league 1 standard at best.

We should be looking at offering him a new contract as he is out of contract at the end of next season.